Scratching and chewing

Scratching and chewing

Why does my dog constantly scratch and chew on himself. I've been told he may be allergic to the corn in his food.. Any pet parents have any other ideas or suggestions?

It sounds like "hot spots". I had a Chow Chow many years ago that had hot spots, they're more common in dogs with thick/longer coats and heavy undercoats. I fogot the name of the shampoo I used, but it had avocados in it and it helped. It can also be a food allergy. All you can do is try one thing, give it at least a month to see results, then move on to another remedy. If I come across any useful info for you, I'll be sure to post it here.

It could be allergies. The most common allergies are food allergies, especially to corn and wheat (check your dog food); and environmental allergies, such as to ingredients in the flea collar or shampoo you're using.

Make sure you are feeding a good quality food by going tohttp://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ and making sure your food choice rates 4-6 stars.

Try bathing him with an oatmeal shampoo which should relieve the itching.

Call your vet and ask him for the correct dosage of Children's Benedryl to stop the itch cycle.

A friend of mine, Michael, had a collie named Buddy. Every year Buddy would chew and chew on his tail until it was completely stripped bare of fur and would bleed from the gnawing and biting. Buddy looked strange. He had this really big collie coat of fur and a tiny stick of a striped down tail.

Michael took Buddy to the vet who told Michael it was tiny mites. Michael never could see mites on Buddy and did all the recommended treatments. The Vet finally recommended a special anti-mite ointment and suggested that Michael keep Buddy's tail wrapped with a special binding to keep him from chewing on his tail and causing it to bleed.

It took about 3 months for all the fur to grow back but the ointment and wrapping did help a lot. Buddy was fine after than for about a year and then he had the same mite infestation and he started chewing his tail. Luckily Michael knew what to do and he didn't chew the tail raw this time. The mites seemed to always show up in late Spring/early Summer.

Have you heard of collies getting mites like this and chewing off all the fur from their tail?

Wow, mites in their skin is interesting. I think you should take your dog to the vet, and did you change his diet recently? Or did his behavior just start out of nowhere?

Some times dogs will also chew their feet if their glands need emptying and it hasn't happened naturally, our vet said Allbran is good to give dogs if they have gland problems.

Definitely could be hot spots, my old dog used to get them in the summer quite frequently. We sorted it by trimming the hair around the area and washing the area reguarly. It could most definitely be an allergic reaction though, try changing the food and see the results? Otherwise visit your vet.

It sounds like Buddy the Collie might have a type of demodicosis or mite problem also known as mange, which often occurs in younger dogs, under the age of one and a half. However, demodicosis can occur in older dogs which signals an underlying problem with the immune system or a hidden case of cancer, kidney or liver disease or hormonal imbalance. When demodicosis is triggered the mites can settle into one spot on the dog's body and they proceed to chew the fur because it itches, burns or both.

A more extensive medical work-up by a Vet is usually required to figure out the underlying condition. There are a wide range of ointments, gels and sprays which can work on mites. Of course the underlying cause whether it's kidney problems, cancer or hormones has to be addressed as well to insure the long term health of the dogs. When possible it helps to wrap the infected area to prevent the dog was chewing on it and causing more damage.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.