catnip how to use the real stuff and the catnip scented spray in a can

catnip how to use the real stuff and the catnip scented spray in a can

Hi from the new cat owner again. Some of these questions probably have already been discussed in this forum, but I haven't found out yet how to search for old or archived posts on this forum.

Anyway I am having problems getting my cat to use a scratch post. The advice was to get a bigger scratch post. (I had a tiny one from a bargain store that was about 16 inches tall. My cat (named Arllo) would curl around it, go to sleep, and get up and scratch on the furniture. So I bought a monster post from amazon.com, almost three feet high and so heavy I had to get help bringing it into the house after delivery. Arlo avoids the new post like it was a bogey man. So the next advice was to use spray catnip on the scratch post, use encouragement and praise when it used the scratch post (which hasn't happened yet). Well I decided the cat was not receptive to catnip. Then yesterday I received a shipment from PetMeds.com and there was a tiny packet of real catnip. I set it on my desk not knowing what to do with it. A few hours later wild chaos was taking place. Arlo was rolling all over the dest and papers and pens and pencils and desk lamp were flying everywhere and Arlo was covered head to toe with catnip. He looked like he was dusted for a baking dish. I can't imagine how he opened the cellophane packet. How do I attach the real catnip (they look like seeds or something) onto the sides of the post? I will discard the spray can.
    Last edited by Fritz; 06-08-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.