Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Do you know whats in pet food

Do you know whats in pet food

http://www.petsumerreport.com/
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I know! Years ago when I found out the truth, the dumped my cheap dog food and went to a more expensive one without all the chemicals, toxins, rendered dead animals, etc. http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...s-in-pet-food/

I've fed raw for years, dogs do well on it and I know what I'm feeing
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I tried feeding them raw, but I'm not yet good at balancing the ingredients. Buchi is currently on Eagle Pro dog food. I checked out the ingredients, and so far, I'm pretty contented with its contents. It's definitely a whole lot better than choosing Royal Canin's Skin Care Diet.

Corn, wheat gluten, brewers rice, tapioca, chicken fat, corn gluten meal, natural flavors, vegetable oil, dried beet pulp, rice hulls, fish oil, calcium carbonate, flaxseed, monosodium phosphate, potassium chloride, monocalcium phosphate, L-lysine, sodium silico aluminate, fructooligosaccharides, safflower oil, taurine, L-tyrosine, salt, choline chloride, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate], rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid.
    Should I even consider feeding this to my dog?

Compare the top ingredients to the one at the bottom.

Herring, White Fish Meal, Pork Meal, Pure Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, Natural Fish Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Flaxseed Oil, Sunflower Oil, Avocado Oil, Green Peas, Cranberries, Blueberries, Tomatoes, Carrots, Kelp, Alfalfa, Glucosamine, Parsley Leaf, Chondroitin, Rosemary Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lecithin, Choline Chloride
    Eagle Pro Original Herring Ingredients

If I were to feed commercial dog food it would be orijen. That is the best of the best. I feed orijen to the cats only because they will not eat raw. Orijen is a five star rated food with human grade ingredients. Its more expensive but is the best. Grain free and no additives.

Orijens is a wonderful dog food. Before I started raw I did use Orijens, my toy Xolo was gaining weight on it so my vet suggested Acana...made by the same Company as Orijens with less protein. She still was not loosing weight so ,with lots of research, I went to feeding raw. I make my own...using 80% muscle 10%organ 10% bone. I also add raw eggs with the shell,ground Flax seed, green tripe, fish oil, coconut oil and a suppliments. My dogs are hairless, their skin is wonderful on this diet...their teeth are cleaned with real bones. It took me a while to be comfortable feeding raw. The cost is about the same as feeding the Orijens or Acana...Am sure it's not for everyone but it works for me.

I grind the meat, bones and all, at feeding time I put in 1/4 cup honest kitchen mixed with equal amount of water, when it thickens add it to the meat mixture. That is the "greens" they need. Then I add one tablespoon of "missing link" for skin and hair, that is all the vitamins and minerals they might be missing in the food. I also give one fish oil pill and one probiotic a day also a joint supplement

Then I make my own treats using beef heart, pork heart and kidney and boneless chicken breast.

Sounds great Linda. I just started using Dr.Harvey's "Veg-to-Bowl"... 100% dehydrated vegetables, with vitamins and minerals. I add water and coconut oil ...they get a tablespoon morning and night mixed in their raw food. I also grind the meat...beef, pork , turkey, chicken and lamb...I alternate them.I give them chicken wings, backs, and drumetts for snacks. Also lamb bone...whatever bone the butcher has that is not weight bearing. They love the bone's .They get the heart, liver, kidney and tripe ground in their meat.
    So nice to meet someone who likes feeding raw...none of my friends do.

People claim feeding raw including some vets say its not healthy food for them, but done right with the right additives is better for them than commercial dog food. I had one vet tell me it wasn't good for them, Not my regular vet. I said dogs in the wild eat raw, she said and how long do they live, I said I don't know, do you? She didn't say anymore. My regular vet is for whatever works, Mine have always done great on raw, I give them a variety also, don't want them to get sensitive to one source of protein.

I did ask my Vet about feeding raw, he said he did not know much about it. His view was , "some people feel like raw is more natural, that dogs eat raw in the wild". Then he went on to say,"dogs have been domesticated for many years ,they would not survive in the wild today. He feeds his dogs Orijens.
    When I was growing up our dog was fed table scraps and canned dog food...that was in the 50's. I fed Science Diet to my Sheltie...he was never sick he died at 16 years old . That was 6 years ago. I now have 3 Xolo's and 3 cats. My cats will not eat the raw food...believe me I have tried everything. I do like the convince of feeding kibble...especially for traveling .

our domesticated dogs are many generations removed from the wild but their organs are still the same. They are the same on the inside as they were all those generations ago and they still have the same food requirements. They are meat eaters, they got their "greens" when they killed an animal and ate everything including the stomach contents. Even giving table food like leftovvers is better than commercial dog food. As long as they are getting enough vitamins and minerals added to their raw food there should be no problem. When I grind the chicken I add about 7 pounds of hearts and gizzards and liver. I grind enough for one week and put it in single serving bowls and freeze. Then I make treats using hearts and kidney of beef and pork, I have a professional dehydrator so do about sixty pounds at a time.

Back in the 50's commercial dog food was not as readily available and the dogs were much healthier and lived longer. Now with the commercial food and all the chemicals in it and the pesticides put on them with the spot on flea treatments a third of all animals die of cancer. Gotta winder why?

I don't have a dehydrator, next on my list making your own treats is awesome. Where did you get your dehydrator? How many dogs do you have? I have one Toy and two miniature Xolo's. My newest is at 11 lbs...she should be at 18 -20 when matured . She is 5 months old . I have had her for 5 weeks and switched her to raw right away . She loves it! I make enough for 3 weeks. I also grind the hearts, gizzards, kidneys, liver, and mix into the ground meat or poultry. I have been roasting chicken for there treats. They love the roasted chicken skin.

You are right about the commercial dog food in the 50's...can't remember having dry, just canned.
    I have had German Shepard's, Doberman's..did obedience with them . Bread Poodles, had a Sheltie...miss them all . Now We have these wonderful hairless Xolo's...no fleas, no odors, easy to maintain and smarter than most people. I love all breeds...they make such a difference in our life. Wish you a great day ...have fun with your furry friends ! Enjoy your post's

I have just one dog, my shepherd but my daughter has three bulldogs so to keep them all fed and to make treats we have a commercial grinder, heavy duty enough to grind the bones, have a meat slicer and professional dehydrator for the treats. The dehydrator has 27 trays so we can do about 60 pounds of treats at one time. We have the slicer because the meat cuts easier when its partially frozen. To do beef hearts you take off the fat then slice it no more than half inch thick, add nothing just put in dehydrator and let it go. Takes about 30 hours to do a full load. They are done when they no longer look shiny and don't stick to the trays. Then they are nice and crunchy, if you want them more chewy obviously you don't let them go as long. Chicken we remove the skin, pork there is no waste. When the pork loin goes on sale we use that, makes nice round chips. If we can't get the loin then we do the hearts. Never do liver, it crumbles in the dehydrator and makes a mess. Chicken hearts shrivel up to the size of a raisin so we don't do them either. Better to go with the bigger cuts of meat, just remove the fat and add nothing else. Using a tabletop dehydrator will take about 13 hours. If you get a chance try them, dogs go crazy over them.I also have two cats, a siamese and a bengal, they eat cat food, refuse to even try the raw and they don't eat any table food either, their choice. They just don't.

I will be getting a dehydrator soon...nice Christmas gift to me. I have dried liver in the oven overnight at 225 degrees. A lot of show people use liver for their bait. Have not done that in a while...don't like the smell . I will look on line first, Amazon always has good prices . I do have a heavy duty grinder but it does not grind bone. I do partially freeze the meat also...I use a very sharp butcher knife to cut it in slices . Sam's club sells a huge pork loin for 26 to 30 dollars. They must be 18+inches long.
    Your Shepard is very pretty, awesome breed. My 3 cats are all rescues. They will not touch the raw food. Kind of amazes me since cats are more carnivorous than dogs. They eat Pure Vita dry food and share a can of Fussie Cat wet and it has to be Salmon and tuna or they turn their nose up at it. Cats truly are fussy!

WE have a cabella grinder and slicer and dehydrator. A bit pircey but it gets a lot of use so have to have something that will last.

Phoenix eats raw, the cats won't touch it, they won't eat table food either. I feed them Fromm chicken and duck, and Natural balance for the wet food. I primarily feed wet food but always have a bowl of fromm out for them. Cats don't drink a lot of water which can cause bladder stones requiring surgery so they get most of their moisture from the wet food. I do have a fountain and sometimes I see them take a drink. Neither of my cats like tuna but they love the salmon. I don't feed a lot of fish because of the mercury, i get a variety of the natural balance but they seem to prefer the chicken and duck to anything else. As a treat they sometimes get salmon and shrimp, that goes over big but I don't give them to much of that either.

When you get the dehydrator you'll have to let me know how the treats come out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.