lymphoma in dogs

lymphoma in dogs

Hi all my name is steph, my georgous boy is called George he's 13 and was diagnosed with a mass in his lymph nodes in his tummy! We're are devastated as he only went to the vet for an x ray on his front leg, as he had been limping for a few days! The vet as put him on tramadol 3 times a day and prednisone he's been on these for 4 weeks! Steph the vet has given George 6-8 weeks, and now we are 4 weeks in he is still quite energetic as we have a 15 month old Yorkie who keeps him on his toes. He is panting real bad and seems really stiff on his backend but always has a kiss and wagging tail for us! I don't want him to suffer

New Hampshire
    I lost one of my shepherds to lymphomia three years ago, she only lasted five weeks from the time it was diagnosed. I had to put her down the day after Easter Sunday. I got up Easter morning and she was panting and having a hard time to breathe, the lymphoma had spread to her lungs and her body looked bloated. Cancer is a battle you can't win. I kept her comfortable for as long as I could but I could do no more for her so had her put down the next day. She was only 7. Its so hard to let them go but we do what we have to do. We don't want them to suffer and she was so bad she would have suffocated herself and I didn't want her to go that way.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Welcome Steph! Sorry to hear about your George. I had a female dog many years ago, who was diagnosed with Lymphosarcoma, diffuse large cell type. We decided against chemotherapy and radiation, as it's very painful for the dog, and it would have only extended her life a few months. She seemed to have difficulty breathing and swallowing also. We kept a close eye on her, and stayed by her side for most of the time. When she completely stopped eating or drinking water, we knew it was time to let her pass on.

It's always hard to know if and when you need to say good-bye. Hugs.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.