Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pit Bull Bans, Another Dog Killed by a Pit Bull

Thumbs down Pit Bull Bans, Another Dog Killed by a Pit Bull

Although the caretaker of this dog will not come forward about the breed of this dog, it's real owner or its whereabouts, it is said to be a Pit Bull. I have no doubt it is. This dog was chained to a balcony with a very heavy duty chain, typical of the ones abusive owners use for their Pit Bulls.

This dog broke loose, and killed a little Shih Tzu that a neighbor was walking. If I was that owner, I would be devastated and so angry, I don't know what I would do. And Aurora, Co is a city with an ongoing Pit Bull ban, that is just being voted on to retain in this election cycle.

The stories of Pit Bulls attacking and killing other pets, or attacking people and causing serious injury is ongoing. It seems that just when you forget about one attack, there's another one being reported on the news.

I've always had the point of view that it is not the dog or the breed that is bad, but the owners who often use them for fighting or train them to be attack dogs, or are just abusive to them...leaving them in the yard on a heavy metal chain that's 4 feet long, with a padlock on it. They want to make their dogs mean.

The fact is, that when they do this with other breeds, it doesn't result in innocent pet's lives being taken, or children's faces being ripped off. This is only happening with the Pit Bull breed. I have met a few Pit Bulls in the park that were very friendly and well-socialized with people and pets...but it appears that they are few and far between in the city.

Since I can't control the jerks that make their dogs mean, I have to say that I'd rather not have Pit Bulls in my area, for the safety of my pets. It's very unnerving to be near a Pit Bull that is barking or growling at you for no reason, and is chained up to something. You always fear that they will get loose.

What are your thoughts? Although it's not the breed, you can't control the jerks that train them to be aggressive, or who abuse them. http://www.9news.com/story/news/2014...cony/18335471/

Pits are a man made breed. When the breed started to get popular back yard breeders jumped in to breed them not caring about genetics or anything else but to make a quick buck. The result was the poorly bred dogs were aggressive and unstable, these dogs became a status symbol "look at me, I have a pit". Then the drug dealers and dog fighters got into it. They played on the dog's desire to do anything for his master, including fighting and dying for them.

We always hear about the bad things they do, never the good. Its not the dog's fault they are doing just what they were taught to do to please their people. Its not the dogs that should be banned, the ban should be on the people that give the whole breed a bad name.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I agree with everything you said about the tough guy owner problem. But, that is the way thing are unfortunately, and those who want bans are fearful for the lives of their children and pets in their neighborhoods, rightly so due to owners who should be behind bars at least. Allowing Pit Bulls in a city, will not suddenly make them all not want to attack to kill. I understand the UK doesn't allow them at all in the country.

I have posted here before about the good things Pitties do, and how ones who are trained and cared for with love, can be very nice dogs. http://www.buzzfeed.com/kaelintully/...g-minds#icrmls

Obviously mixed emotions here, I've seen too much of the negative to ignore it and hope for the best. People are screwed up, and until that changes, the majority of Pit Bulls have to be considered dangerous.

American Pit Bull terriers are banned here in the UK, after numerous maulings and fatalities.
    We have our own British bull terriers though, main one being the Staffordshire. The breed is popular especially with certain types of individuals, who often purposely train their animals to be aggressive.

So blame on the owners, certainly.

Blame on the breed? Most Staffies are very friendly and affectionate.
    I dare say most APBT owners would protest that their dogs are friendly and affectionate too. But in the genes, they're fighting dogs.
    You can breed out aggression, look at the St. Bernard, but overall I think they're 'an attack waiting to happen'. I certainly wouldn't want to live next door to one that's for sure.

On the other side of the coin, any dog can be taught to be aggressive, but the pits get the brunt of the bad publicity. I don't believe any dog is born bad, they are made. Aggression can never be taken out of them but with proper training and a loving owner it can be controlled. Like anyone else I wouldn't want to see one in "attack mode" coming after me but I wouldn't want a rotti or a shepherd coming after me either. Individual dogs have to be judged individually not the breed as a whole. There will be good and bad in all breeds. Especially when you get the big breeds that can do a lot of damage.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Well Pit Bulls seem more predisposed to aggression than other dogs BUT as with most dogs it's more about their upbringing. When I was a baby my grandparents had a Doberman. These dogs are thought of as being vicious, but ours was my best friend, it used to run in front of me if I ever tried to run off away from my parents when out playing, and it would sleep by my feet every night. A Pitt Bull can also have a loving family and be a kind, caring dog as a result.

If they truly want to stop people using Pitts as fighting dogs maybe they should just ban people with a criminal record from owning them!

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    Aggression can never be taken out of them
    I can't really agree. There are a lot of rehabilitated fighting dogs who are rehomed with caring families with no problems. It's often difficult, but expert handlers are able to turn the dogs lives around, I saw it once on an episode of The Dog Whisperer. No need to put them down but yes it's very difficult.

I didn't say they can't be rehabilitated. But rehabilitated doesn't mean they are no longer aggressive, the aggression is controlled. The aggression is still there. Push them hard enough and they will still bite. They aren't going to be running around attacking people and other animals but don't think for a moment that if push comes to shove they won't react. As with any dog its there, just how far do you have to go to bring it out

Like anyone else I wouldn't want to see one in "attack mode" coming after me but I wouldn't want a rotti or a shepherd coming after me either.
    I don't know. If it's just an agressive dog attacking that is not professionally trained, like in all of these Pit Bull cases, I think I'd rather have a Rotti or Shepherd attack me. Those dogs don't hold on tight and go in for the kill, like the PBs do.

I didn't say they can't be rehabilitated. But rehabilitated doesn't mean they are no longer aggressive, the aggression is controlled. The aggression is still there. Push them hard enough and they will still bite. They aren't going to be running around attacking people and other animals but don't think for a moment that if push comes to shove they won't react. As with any dog its there, just how far do you have to go to bring it out
    I agree, it can be controlled with work, but it's still there and the owners shouldn't forget that either. They may very well react in certain situations in the future.

Our dog, Sarge, is of the pit bull breed as an American Bulldog. We also recently lost a pit bull terrier to cancer. Both are (were) excellent dogs. Sarge is a therapy dog and has never shown aggression of any kind.

I agree that bad owners are the problem. Pit bulls are strong, and therefore capable of causing more damage than other breeds. They are also media darlings. Where I live, you only hear about pit bull attacks, even though there are attacks by other breeds almost daily.

On the other hand, Sarge has been attacked at doggy day care by a lab and a german shepherd. The staff were attacked by the german shepherd, as well.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I have been around a lot of pitties,, and have yet to see one who seems aggressive.

Raise a dog with love and you'll more than likely have a loving dog.

yes, it all boils down to training and love. The secret to having an "aggressive" breed is to never bring it out in them, don't force them to do what they don't want to do, kind of coax them and then they think it was their own idea and don't get stubborn just because they can. These dogs are very loving as long as they are treated right. The problem with the pits is they are seen as naturally aggressive and get the attention of people looking for a macho dog, plus when the breed got popular back yard breeders jumped on the bandwagon and thought breeding them would generate income for them so they were breeding anything with a pulse just to get pups, not caring about genetics or anything else, just make puppies, then the dog fighters got in on it, found these agreeable dogs that would do anything to please their people including fighting to the death in a pit with another dog of the same caliber. Its bad owners that made them what they are, not the dog's fault, they are only doing what they were taught to do. But bad breeding brings out the worst of the breed so when you breed two dogs of equally bad genetics you are going to get an unstable dog. You seldom hear of a well bred dog going crazy and attacking anything and everything. But right now I think there are more bad breeders and owners then good ones and its the dogs that are paying the price.

I know enough about genetics to know it is the genes, not the person who makes the pitbulls aggressive. Sorry, too much was revealed in the Russian fur fox experiments about the swithing on and off of aggression genes. There may be a line or two bred for friendliness, but the majority shopped around on the street have been bred specifically to be fighting dogs. Winners are bred, not losers. Losers are killed. The more agressive the pit bull, the more likely his or her genes are in the gene pool.

aggression can never be taken out of a dog but it can be controlled. Not all pits are vicious dogs. Any dog can bite, there is aggression in all of them, just depends on how far you have to push them to bring it out.

Not sure if I agree with everything in this video, but here are some pitbull truths and myths according to buzzfeed.

Phoenix went to puppy classes and training classes but with strangers she is still aggressive. Nothing I did, I didn't try to bring it out in her, but she is very protective of this house and her family. Her mother is a german import and dad is chez lines, chez dogs are very tough, they are used as border patrol dogs. She is only doing what generations before her have been bred to do. Its not her fault, she can't help herself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.