Stop supporting puppy mills

Stop supporting puppy mills

Pet stores that care about puppies don't sell them. That's because the majority of pet stores that sell puppies carry dogs from cruel and inhumane puppy mills. Puppy mills are like dog-making factories with the mother dogs spending their entire lives in cramped cages or kennels with little or no personal attention or quality of life. When the mother and father dogs can no longer breed, they are discarded or killed. Consumers who purchase puppies from pet stores or over the Internet without seeing a breeder's home firsthand are often unknowingly supporting this cruel industry.
    Help stop this cycle of cruelty simply by choosing to adopt your next pet from a shelter or rescue, or by only purchasing a dog from a responsible breeder who will show you where your puppy was born and raised. And that's not all—you can do even more by refusing to buy pet supplies from any store or website that sells puppies. Where you spend your dollars makes a difference. Make a statement when you shop!
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I've seen heartbreaking photos of dogs in puppy mills, and I would never buy a puppy from a pet store. I agree, most of them are from puppy mills that are run by people who abuse the animals terribly, especially the mating females. I've seen pictures of dogs kept in tiny cages for years, where they cannot move or walk around...and their paws are raw with infected sores from standing on the wire caging. They don't even have floor surface to stand on. The pet stores I go to don't sell puppies or kittens, but they do have adoptable ones there, which is a good thing.

and people that buy from internet sales thinking they are getting the puppy pictured in the ad get a rude awakening when they see the dog they bought in person. Puppy mills are not a secret, when are people going to wake up and see what they are doing? If the dog comes from Penn. or any of the midwest states its a pretty safe bet they are puppy mill dogs.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

if people would stop buying from pet stores and the internet they would not keep breeding, as long as there are buyers there will be sellers.

You know what's even more sad. People buying dogs from breeders hoping to breed them themselves. Although I'm sure there are others who are successful in doing this, it's definitely not advisable for would-be novice dog owners.

There are too many times I've read comments and messages in other threads and forums of people buying puppies in the hopes of earning an extra buck by mating them themselves.

I'm saying, "WTF? You think it's easy caring for puppies!?! You think it's easy finding them good homes?!?"

I think a lot of "good" breeders are now selling pups with a limited registration, meaning you don't get papers until the dog is spayed or neutered. Phoenix is a purebred shepherd, she is spayed and I have no need for papers, I never registered her, she can't be shown or bred and she can't read so the papers are worthless to me. I am not out to impress anyone with papers. I did receive her pedigree going back five generations when I got her but the papers were held until I showed proof she was spayed. I planned on having her spayed anyway so signing a contract agreeing to have it done was no bid deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I think a lot of "good" breeders are now selling pups with a limited registration, meaning you don't get papers until the dog is spayed or neutered. Phoenix is a purebred shepherd, she is spayed and I have no need for papers, I never registered her, she can't be shown or bred and she can't read so the papers are worthless to me. I am not out to impress anyone with papers. I did receive her pedigree going back five generations when I got her but the papers were held until I showed proof she was spayed. I planned on having her spayed anyway so signing a contract agreeing to have it done was no bid deal for me.
    Phoenix is lucky to have a momma like you, Linda. And requiring the owners to spay or neuter their dogs is a brilliant idea. However, it does make me wonder if what Dr. Becker mentioned about the prevalence of cancers in fixed dogs. My entire life, we've never had a dog die of cancer. I didn't know about neutering or spaying back then either.

I don't mind the papers either. Although, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that, for some reason, I do want to join dog shows. It's too bad they only allow unaltered dogs to join these contests. I bet Chooey would have been a great Shih Tzu. And yes, albeit the absence of papers, I think Chooey is a very very pretty Shih Tzu.

My vet wanted to spay her at six months but after doing much research about the negative aspects of spaying before they are fully mature made me wait. She had been in heat twice before I did it. I've had only one dog die of cancer and that was my rescue and she was terribly neglected before I got her and I don't know how young she was before having it done. I had both of the cats done early though I would have preferred to wait but the siamese came into heat at 4 months old and I did the bengal early to prevent him from spraying.

I have Phoenix's papers but never did anything with them. If I choose to I still can register her at any time but I'm not going to. She can't read so no need to.

Thank you for your post. One of my dogs is a puppy mill rescue. He's been most challenging, and most rewarding..and he is my love

I"m sure he is, they can't help where they came from. But puppy mill pups have more health issues because of their b ad beginnings and the health of their parents. No reflection on your dog, he's probably just fine and you'd love him no matter what.

Yes, he definitely has digestive issues because of whatever crap I am sure they fed him. I keep him on track with pumpkin and only feed him grain-free food, and he does extremely well with those things now. Other than his sensitive digestion, he has no other health issues. I am a huge supporter of puppy mill rescues, especially National Mill Dog rescue for their constant rescue efforts of these dogs.

We should all love out dogs and do whatever is necessary to work through their issues. I feed raw and have never had any problems with it, I know its not for everyone but it works for me. Tried to get the cats to eat raw but they won't touch it so the next best thing is Fromm, they do well on it and love it but I'd rather feed them raw over commercial food. But they have to eat so they get Fromm.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.