Looking to get my first reptile

Looking to get my first reptile

Hey there, I am looking in to getting my first reptile! I have had several pets in the past, such as a guinea pig, rats etc. but i've always wanted a reptile, and now is the time I want to get one. I have been doing a fair bit of research on the internet lately about getting one. At first I was very interested in ball pythons, however my mom is absolutely terrified of snakes so unfortunately that is not an option. I would prefer something that is fairly handleable, and fairly easy to care for. I am willing to spend a fair bit on this animal, however I was still looking for something like 10 gallon, maybe 20 but not much more than that. So I was thinking about leopard geckos maybe? One of my biggest interests is a tortoise, I know they would need a much larger enclosure soon, but how long would they be happy in a 20 gallon?

So guys, what are your suggestions for the best first reptile pet?

Nobody?

Just looking for what your favorite reptile is!

I would say a bearded dragon, but those often need a bigger 35-40 gallon tank as they grow. Leopard geckos are smaller and come in a bunch of cool morphs (BDs do too) but I wouldn't keep any more than one or two in a 20-gallon.

Leopard geckos are nice but i dont suggest getting more than one if you dont have any reptilian experience yet. Try waiting for a year end tank sale, you could get a nice big tank then start setting up and then we can discuss what you should put in it

Consider:
    Dirunal or Nocturnal?
    Life Span?
    Small or Big or doesn't matter?
    Space?
    How much time do you have?
    Age (You don't have to say if you don't want to)?

Well, i'll suggest two animals, but they aren't animals that you can really handle and spend time with, sorry. I recommend a desert tortoise, but only if you live in a hot climate. I also recommend a red eared slider water turtle, which you won't be able to handle at all.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.