Do Dogs feel cold like us?

Do Dogs feel cold like us?

I am still trying to get all the information before getting my dog and i want it to be one of the best comfortable dogs and bulid up from there.

Can you tell me what environment and atmosphere does Dogs feel cold or if they actually do?

I understand the fur coat is something to consider but they are ultimately similar to us?

Thanks in advance.

Our Labrador definately feels the cold,as I have seen him shiver, he wears a coat now for the coldest days, and when its sunny he finds the sunniest warmest part of the yard to lay don in.I don't think Our Shepherd feels the cold as much as she is not so keen to have her coat on.

Yes and no. It depends on the dog.

Yes, they're like us in the fact that they're warm-blooded mammals, which has a lot to do with how we feel temperatures. But the way they're built has a lot more to do with it. Some breeds are better built for the cold. Huskies, for example, have a double coat that insulates them from the cold and keeps them warm(ish) even in extreme temperatures. Dalmations, on the other hand, are lean with little body fat and a short, single coat. They wouldn't be able to stand cold the way Huskies can.

In my area (Arizona desert) the heat is a big issue. Dogs can only release heat through their paws and by panting. Short-snouted dogs can't tolerate the heat the way longer-snouted dogs can simply because their reduced respiratory passages affects their ability to pant and cool themselves. Again, their ability to thrive in the weather depends on their build.

It's great that you're considering environment before choosing your dog. If you are in a cold area, find one that is originally from a cold area like Huskies, Malamutes, Chow Chows, Newfoundlands, and Mastiffs. They'll be better prepared to handle it.

Dogs definitely feel the cold, and will shiver and curl up tight when sleeping to keep warm. We have a small down-filled blanket for our dog when we go camping, as he's older and may also experience arthritis discomfort when too cold.

Dogs like Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, Chows, etc. can tolerate the cold temps much better due to their thick undercoats.

Dogs definitely feel cold, and dogs can definitely freeze to death! Different dogs have different preferences for how warm or cool they like it, though. As some people have mentioned, breed and coat can have a lot to do with it, but sometimes individual dogs just have weird preferences. My aunt has a lab/collie mix who loves, loves, LOVES the cold. He will stay outside in the cold for as long as you'll let him, even on the coldest days, and he'll plop right down in the snow. He hates summer and during the summer he'll actually go to the shadiest part of the yard, dig a hole, and lie down in it (because the dirt is cool). The other dog doesn't mind summer at all and hates being outside in the cold, even though he's a yellow lab too.

yeah I had my fan on today and when he came up and laid next to me he started shivering

Dogs do have fur, but I say it equals to the amount of coverage we have when we have sweaters on in the winter. Sometimes they are warm enough but sometimes they need more heat just like us.

Yes, they absolutely do. I live in NH & my pittie needs a winter jacket below 30degrees..w/o it, even on a walk, he's shivering uncontrollably w/in minutes, his ears turn bright red & his nose runs, he'll hold his paws off the ground, etc. Even inside on chilly days he's a blanket MANIAC lol, he'll sit & cry for me to tuck him in under a blankie etc.

My golden I swear doesn't even feel the cold, although they are not outside "only" dogs & he's perfectly comfortable most of the time. It's totally opposite in the summer..the golden requires cold packs, grooming & frozen treats almost constantly whereas the pittie will lay directly in the sun longer than even I can handle it.

Keep in mind also that dogs run much hotter than we do, while our normal body temp is usually 98 or so, theirs runs normally at about 102 or so.

Our Italian Greyhounds definitely feel the cold too! It's a chore to get them to go outside to potty in the winter! LOL!

Elderly dogs and short-haired breeds certainly do feel the cold. A common sight in wintertime here in England to see dogs sporting 'dog coats'.
    Some of the aforementioned breeds from more northerly parts are more adjusted to the cold weather by having thicker fur and, as in the case of labradors, some breeeds are genetically programmed to eat heartily! (Which is the main reason labradors often suffer from weight issues i.e. their hearty appetite is not counterbalanced by the copious outdoor exercise the breed was originally bred for)

Coats on in Winter

An old picture of my Hans (left) with his sister Sigi (passed over the bridge), on a wintery day at the park.

Hans and Sigi.jpg

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.