How to Handle Your First Pet Snake

How to Handle Your First Pet Snake

Snakes are great pets. But they require special treatment. There are so many important factors that you need to consider when preparing to bring in your first pet snake.

For starters, you have to understand the risks involved. If your pet snake is venomous, it can easily cause fatalities and therefore care has to be taken to prevent bites.

Secondly, you have to understand what your type of pet snake likes and dislikes. For instance, you need to know that snakes are solitary creatures and don't like to be disturbed. Don't let other pets like cats and dogs come near your snake otherwise they are going to get serious bites.

Choose the right environment for your snake. But this will depend on the type of snake you want to keep.

snakes are wild creatures and should be left where they are. They have a tiny brain, all they see is food, they have no love or loyalty to you, if there is no food around you'll do. I don't do reptiles or rodents. But to each his own.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    snakes are wild creatures and should be left where they are.
    This is so true. Personally I ill never keep a snake as a pet, they give me the creep me out.

I think you guys are just scared for nothing. If you know how to treat a pet snake, then you have nothing to worry about. The same way you have to treat your dog or cat properly or else you get the worst side of them.

It's not about being scared. You just never know how snakes will behave even if you train them. Better safe than sorry.

and how loyal are your snakes to you? Do you think they love you? They don't, they have a tiny brain and are not capable of love or devotion. Their brain is about the size of a pea so how intelligent can they be? You like them thats fine, I don't think they belong in a cage, to lay there hour after hour until you appear with food, then you maybe spend a little time with them then they are alone again. Would you like that kind of life? They came from the wild and should have been left there.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Linda, I have to disagree with you for my own sake and that of every other snake owner that visits this site. Firstly, from what I can tell, you don't own a snake and therefore you can't make a judgement on their intelligence or personality. As a snake owner myself I can tell you that every snake has its own personality and has preferences for caretakers and companions. To argue that they don't belong in a cage is to say that no pet does. It's a part of ownership and they are treated far better than they would if they were in the wild. Most snake owners spend plenty of time handling their pets and give them fantastic lives.

As i said before to each his own, if you like snakes thats up to you. But correct me if I'm wrong, snakes don't have a big brain, they have no loyalty to you and they would prefer to live in the wild than in a cage. I don't like to see anything caged including snakes, or even pet birds.

You can't judge an animal on the size of his brain. Having pets isn't always about loyalty, it's also about companionship and care. I'm not going to linger on the subject of birds as this is the wrong thread, but many birds do very much enjoy human companionship including mine. Being that you are a dog owner, I understand that we may have conflicting opinions just because of the different things we find enjoyable about pet ownership. I think the only way for someone who doesn't own small animals to understand the relationship between an owner and their pets is to experience them first hand. Years ago I might have agreed with you, but having snakes and other small animals dramatically changes perspective.

companionship to who? You may want them for a companion but do they want you? They are perfectly happy to lead a solitary life without human intervention. Dogs and cats came out of the wild and came to people because they wanted to be domesticated. When did a snake ever come out of the bushes and try to be your friend? They don't need you , they can take care of themselves. You want to keep pet snakes thats up to you. Not everyone shares your love of the creepy crawlers. Look what happened in Florida when people got the craze to keep pythons. They got big and dangerous and were let loose, now the state is overrun with them, to the point people are afraid to go outside for fear of being eaten by one, and dogs and cats are for sure not safe around them. I'll stick with my dogs and cats, you keep your reptiles.

Believe it or not I'm not only a snake owner, I also own dogs and cats and other "normal" pets. I'm okay with having some pets that don't do tricks, so I'm not bothered. We need to keep in mind that burmese pythons aren't the only invasive species, cats are invasive too. They are released by irresponsible owners who aren't prepared for their pet to grow. I know there are a lot of people who don't like snakes, in fact some researches say that it's human nature to fear snakes. I understand your point of view though, and I can respect that.

don't even get me started on irresponsible people owning pets. People get a kitten because its so cute and cuddly then when it grows up to be a cat its not longer cute so out it goes. Or they get a puppy that doesn't get along with the cat so its again the cat that has to go. I have zero tolerance for these people, its the animals I feel bad for. Or we're having a baby, dog or cat hasn't even done anything yet but still it has to go. They have a million excuses or no excuse to them animals are disposable. What every happened to getting an animal and keeping it for life? Something like 80% of all pets never live their life with their original owner. Sad state of affairs. And paying a high price for something doesn't mean its going to have a good life. Several years ago I took in a rescue shepherd, someone paid a lot of money for that dog only to leave her caged for 18 months. The husband kept her just so the x wife couldn't have her and he didn't want her so he abused her. I heard later the man died of cancer, couldn't happen to a more deserving man.

I agree, it's a terrible thing that I will never be abe to relate to. I don't understand how people can get a pet without understanding the care that needs to be given for its entire life.

maybe its because people have a "me first" attitude, its all about them.

As a keeper who has a few (okay, a lot) of snakes. I rarely handle mine. I enjoy viewing them without stressing them too much. 2 decades ago my parents often cursed my snakes for being " servants of the devil " now they just don't care lol

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.