Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what are the pros and cons of getting a pure breed?

what are the pros and cons of getting a pure breed?

When i looked into acquiring a new dog, i never seriously thought about whether a single or mixed breed would be better. However considering the different traits of some of the dog breeds, i think one should seriously think about whether to get a single or mixed breed. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of each? Or why did you pick the breed that you have?

It really doesn't matter what breed you choose, different breeds have different issues. Mixed breeds can be a bit healthier because of the wider gene pool but there again you can still get the problems of both breeds (or more) combined. A purebred you can know more or less what the size and disposition is going to be. With a mixed you don't know. Mixed breeds need a home and deserving as any purebred. But if its certain traits you are looking for then get a purebred. Before you get anything check out certain things like what health issues are they prone to. The bigger dogs can have hip problems, Boxers, rottis and some others are prone to bone cancer. Smaller dogs can have luxating patellas and other problems with the knees. Cavalier king charles are prone to brain disorders. Labs prone to epilipsy, the list goes on and on. If you get a purebred check all these things out, check for references from the breeder and follow up on contacting people who have dealt with this breeder. Ask to see medical records of the parents and find out what conditions they have been treated for. Learn as much as you can about the background of the dog you are interested.

If you choose a mixed breed you don't really have this option. Just remember a dog is a dog, they are all basically the same and its personality you live with on a daily basis not what they look like
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Very sound advice, Linda. Lorry, the cross-breed is well worthy of consideration, because there is less chance of inbreeding and associated health problems (e.g. bulldogs often have breathing problems). A pedigree dog will normally find a home sooner or later, but strays in a shelter face a very uncertain fate (even euthanisation if the shelter is not no-kill). By taking a rescue dog into your heart, you will be doing a good deed by helping the shelter - as a contribution to costs is normally required. Normally shelters screen for aggressive or dangerous dogs, so the risk is very small - and anyway, some pedigree dogs can be aggressive, too. Do come back and let us know what you decided.

there are so many deserving dogs in shelters and a lot of them are pit mixes. I feel so bad for that breed. They are not the monsters portrayed by the media. Like any other dog if raised right they are fine. But you can't always judge a dog by how it is in a shelter, once they get comfortable in a home setting sometimes their true nature comes out. But no problem is to big to deal with. You take on a dog, you get what you get, problems or no problems and they are well worth taking a chance on
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

In the US, animal shelters euthanize 2.7 million HEALTHY cats and dogs every year because nobody wants them.
    Plus another 1.3 million sick, injured and aggressive/behavioural problems.

So far better to get an animal from an animal shelter, than from a breeder.

Up to a quarter of dogs in a shelter can be a pure bred, so there is plenty of choice.

(800,000 Pit Bulls are euthanized every year because of oversupply/nobody wanting them.)

Quite a bit of information there. But i agree - A dog is a dog and deserves the best treatment it does not matter whether it is a pure or mixed breed

only matters if trying to impress someone with your pure bred dog. Dog doesn't know or care what it is, Its people that make that distinction.

Only three things matter when choosing a dog:

The first thing is ascertaining the right animal for your lifestyle & home.

The second thing is ascertaining if there is a heart to heart connection between the two of you, because love and companionship is the bottom line.

The third thing is remembering the first two things.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightofalbion View Post
    Only three things matter when choosing a dog:

The first thing is ascertaining the right animal for your lifestyle & home.

The second thing is ascertaining if there is a heart to heart connection between the two of you, because love and companionship is the bottom line.

The third thing is remembering the first two things.
    Very good answer Knightofalbion!!!!!!!

And this makes me sad to know so many pits are put to sleep. They are wonderful dogs in the right hands of a responsible owner
    I agree adopt from a rescue or shelter. There are rescues for every breed just about

I agree with going to a shelter and saving a stray. It's the only way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemylittleboy View Post
    And this makes me sad to know so many pits are put to sleep. They are wonderful dogs in the right hands of a responsible owner
    I agree adopt from a rescue or shelter. There are rescues for every breed just about
    Apparently, only 1 in 600 Pit Bulls will end up finding a forever home, the rest will be euthanized.

I wouldn't criticize the animal shelters for the high euthanasia rates (though they are actually much lower than in previous decades) They do find happy, loving homes for 2 million rescue cats and dogs each year, which is a fabulous effort. But once you've hit the adoption ceiling....

I do not support the 'No Kill' Movement (Winograd/Center For Consumer Freedom), why is for another thread. But 'no kill' shelters, of course I support them. The downside is, logically, they soon fill up to the rafters. So thousands more genuine, community supported 'no kill' shelters are needed.

The real and core issue though is oversupply. Until that problem is addressed ...

I believe that certain breeds get a bad rap...especially pit bulls. I LOVE all kinds of animals and am sad to hear the statistics of those that are put down...it's not fair! I always feel that one of the ways to prevent this is to stop breeding and keep the pet population down. Just my opinion.

Right now the pit is a status thing with some people "look at my big bad dog" Until the general public changes their attitude and people that have them raise them like any other dog, not for fighting or being aggressive towards people nothing is going to change. The kid of people that want this type of aggressive dog make them the way they are, drug dealers, to guard them and their stuff, fighting people to make money off them ect. The average person that has one and brings it up right and has no illusions of what the dog is capable of is the only ones that should own these dogs.

This article appeared in the UK's Daily Mail newspaper a few months back. It reflects all sides of the Pit Bull argument in one go.
    And the 'Comments' section makes for interesting reading too.

Have a look and make your own mind up....
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...boy-rides.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.