Looking to adopt fish...Any ideas?

Question Looking to adopt fish...Any ideas?

Hi! My name is Stella and I just joined this pet forum hoping that someone could give me some pointers on adopting fish instead of buying them. Has anybody here adopted fish (specifically bettas)? If so, from where?

I would also love to hear if anyone in Georgia is looking to put fish up for adoption! I would love to take a pet that someone can no longer take care of.

Hello & WELCOME!
    I never heard of "adopting" a fish unless someone you know is moving and can't take them along. Betta and many other fish are relatively inexpensive. Do you already have a tank set up?

Thanks for the reply! I know fish aren't expensive ..it's more that I'd love to give a fish that would otherwise get flushed a home. It's funny because I texted a friend and it turns out he has a friend with a betta they can't really take care of anymore.

Tank wise I have a ten gallon with 2 goldfish but we're looking to upgrade them to a new tank so the 10 gallon would be free.

Honestly, a ten gallon for a betta is overkill. A bowl is perfectly fine, especially since you can't house betas together. It's a lot cheaper to set up a bowl, and it will save you a lot of time with cleaning and maintenance.

That's good to know Stella but regular tank set-up (filter, etc.) is needed. When we first got a betta we had the 5 gallon bowl on a desk. However, we have learned that such a small area with no heat or filtration was the wrong way to go.

It really depends Esme, that much really isn't needed for bettas. They are known for being easy to care for and a bowl is really all you need. Especially for having only one fish in a tank, you're bound to have algae problems. Even if you do go with a full aquarium a heater isn't necessary unless your house is extremely cold, as in less than 75 degrees all the time cold.

Sorry Mybudgie but I disagree. I found these steps helpful:
    1) A Good Owner: that is committed to take care of his betta!
    2) Aquarium: minimum size of two gallons
    3) Water Conditioner: to remove chlrorine and other toxic heavy metals present in tap water
    4) Heater: to maintain ideal temperature
    5) Betta Food: either pellets or freeze-dried specifically for bettas
    6) Lid or Hood: to prevent them from jumping out
    7) Filter: can be any type of aquarium filter that doesn't have too much flow
    8) Aquarium Salt: can be added to the tank water to prevent diseases and help facilitate breathing
    9) Biological conditioner: beneficial biological bacteria that "neutralizes" harmful substances (ammonia)

I really have nothing against aquariums, I'm just suggesting another option. I agree with everything on that list except for heaters because betttas simply need a temperature of at least 75 degrees, which is the case in most households. In fact, I own an aquarium, so I know how that works.

I understand that some people don't have the ideal temperatures in their house to keep up at least 75 degree water, those people do need a heater. I forgot to specify that clearly in my last post. I've been able to keep bettas alive and healthy for years at a time in my home, but I suppose the conditions in my home may be better than other people's.

Check craiglist. They have everything from bettas to mail-order brides.. kidding aside, some would rehome their fishes with tanks usually for pickup. Do not accept freebies though (usually those giant suckermouthed catfishes or oscar cichlids)

Hi, I know I'm late to this post but I saw the advice given and was so concerned that I made an account just to clarify some things before anyone new to fish keeping followed this advice. I have had many fish and other aquatic creatures in the year and a half I have been keeping fish and logged in hundreds of hours of research as I do before welcoming any animal into my home. By taking in a pet you are promising them a good quality of life and care. You should not buy any pet with just the pet's minimal survival needs in mind, you should buy a pet with every intention of giving them a good life, long life.

Yes, a betta fish is a simple, easy pet to begin with and as they are labrynth fish (containing a labrynth organ, making them capable of breathing air to an extent) they are able to live in smaller tanks lacking oxygen pumps. But a betta fish has a long lifespan, soke as long as ten years in captivity and when someone brags their betta fish lived more than a year in a bowl I feel sickened. Manufacters who know betta sell tiny bowls with plants, marketed as growing food for your betta fish. Betta are carnivores and in extreme hunger they may nibble at the plants but their body cannot digest it and they will die.

As tropical fish they require a heater. A five dollar walmart heater will do, but dips in tempeture will put a betta in shock and weaken the fish if it does not kill it outright. A filter is vital, as is soft water movement usually provided by the filter. Plants, gravel and lots of hiding places are vital for this fish as well. They require bimonthly water chances of twenty percent which in a five gallon is only two gallons a month. The water needs to be declorinated as well.

Lastly betta fish do not neednto be alone. They cannot be housed with other males though many females can be housed together in larger tanks in what is called a female soriety. But, they can be housed with other slow movng fish and bottom feeders such as white skirt tetras, cory cats, oto cats, dwarf frogs, snails, and other slow fish the same size as bettas (nothing with flashy, flowy fins though, the betta will confuse them for another betta)
    Yes, betta are cheap. But their lifes are not worthless. They deserve the same consideration for their wellbeing that we afford our other, more expensive pets.

Get the heaters and filters and other things. I'd say for every 1 inch of fish that are 3 inches or smaller 1 gallon. So say you have 10 fish that are all 1 inch you'd need a 10 gallon. Say you have 2 fish that are 3 inches one that is 2 inches and two that are 1 inch you'd need a 10 gallon

Also look up the Nitrogen cycle as a filter takes a while to seed before your system will be ready for stock

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.