Tiny Baby Rattlesnake on My Walk Today

Tiny Baby Rattlesnake on My Walk Today

I was walking down the bike trail, and noticed two young prairie dogs ahead on the trail, they were around something and both were taking turns jumping up with their front legs, retreating and returning to an object. I thought someone may have dropped food on the trail and they were challenging each other for it. As I got closer the prairie dogs took off and I saw it was a tiny baby rattlesnake that they were attempting to go after. Here's the pic.

what did you do next? curious

I just continued on my walk and went back home. I imagine that the prairie dogs went back to the snake when I left, and it's possible that one of them may have gotten bit if they became too assertive with him. I hope that didn't happen, but if it did it just would be a natural sad outcome so often experienced out in the wild. I understand that the poison in the baby rattlers is much more potent than in the adults.

They must have been trying to scare it away perhaps. Yes even a tiny rattler is pretty toxic when it bites. I guess that's Nature, and those Prairie dogs are willing to take the risk to try to frighten it away. Brave little things!
    It would scare me a bit to know that I could encounter a rattler when just on a walk with the dogs....

The only poisonous snake we have in UK is the Adder. I was bitten by one once and wasn't too well for 3 days, but OK in the end. But they are dangerous for dogs. I always used to keep a look-out for them, (thinking about my dog) but never saw one on our walks, thank goodness. Saw a grass snake though -basking in the sun.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.