Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Help needed!! Urgent

Help needed!! Urgent

I have got a new lhasa apso male puppy 5 days ago. His just 28 days old. His mother cannot take his responsibility so I adopted him. I really need help caring for him so that he can grow up healthy and strong. I have shown him to a vet as he was sneezing and had fluid coming from nose sometimes. Pet has given him some antibiotics, cold syrup, mother milk substitute and Colostrum. I need more advice raising him than what he has time for. Here is what I need help with -

1. He likes to sleep on floor else he will cry. So, I put barrier around him so that he don't go around and get hurt due to moving people in house. But he poops and pees there and become dirty. Currently he is yellowish even after i cleaned him using wet path spray. I can't give him full water bath as he is very young. How should I clean him so that he don't have germs on him and stay clean?
    2. How should i clean floor where he sleeps because he poops and pees there all the time. I want to make sure there are no germs

3. Any precautions to be taken when feeding? germs...how to avoid them?
    4. When is right time to give full bath?
    5. When to get him vaccinated?
    6. How much he should sleep?
    7. What do I need to do to make sure he don't have anxiety and is socialized well?

What else I need to do so that he is disease free and grow up to become a healthy strong dog? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Sal

raising an orphan puppy is a task but you can do it. He will sleep a lot, he's a baby, no shots until at least 6 weeks old. Put old blankets or towels on the floor which are easy to keep clean, just throw them in the washer, Wash the floor like you normally would, he is to young to not piddle and poop on the floor. You can wash him with dawn soap to keep him clean, put him in a dishpan with a little water and the soap and wash him with a facecloth. When he gets his shots insist on one shot at a time, I know they like to do the combo shots but its to much of a hit on their immature immune system. Just do the core shots, distemper and parvo to start with. Don't let them talk you into a bunch of shots you don't need. No rabies shot until at least six months old. If you overload his system with to many shots at one time he could have a reaction, convulsions and even brain damage. Handle him regularly, talk to him and get him used to being handled, handle his feet and touch his face and all over his body. Feet are especially important so when it comes time to clip his nails he won't be as bad about it hopefully.

It would work if you could put him in a playpen that way he can crawl around and if he pees, which he will it will be easy to clean up. Also the playpen will protect him when he gets more mobile. Put a stuffed animal in there with him, nothing with eyes that he can chew off and no squeeky toy. Just like a stuffed teddy bear or something in that nature. When he starts eating solid food feed a high quality grain free food. Puppy chow is ok for a start but don't keep him on that for long. Get a food "all stages" grain free or if you really want the best feed him raw. I can help you with that also. You can start by mixing rice baby cereal with his puppy food. Or you can even give him baby food, nothing with dies or artificial coloring. Of course wet the puppy food to make it soft and mushy so he can eat it, he will make a mess, his face and he will stand in the dish so his feet and legs need cleaning. Again dawn dish soap in a dishpan or something shallow he can stand in while you clean him. Be prepared to clean him after every meal, until he gets the hang of eating solid food it will be messy.

He will grow up just fine. Soon you will have a healthy puppy running around. If you need housebreaking tips come back later and I'll help you with that.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Welcome Sal! You will be fine by following Linda's great advice. I really don't have experience with such little ones but is the discharge from his nose just clear? If so then it should be no issue. Good luck and you will do fine and so will he...by the way what's his name?

Thanks Linda for your detailed advice. I am going to read that few times to make sure I follow it fully. Now I feel very confident of raising him. I pet him few minutes ago like you said and I think he felt great. One question - how long I should allow him to roam freely? Currently, he is in his boxed area most of his times and I get him out for feeding and petting.

Also, my vet told me not to bathe him but clean only using wet bath spray. What do you think? His nose discharge is not clear. It's whitish/yellowish fluid likely same stuff which he eats?

His nose discharge is not clear. It's whitish/yellowish fluid likely same stuff which he eats? He sneezes too. His name is Milo. He is mostly white with chocolate stripes on back and chocolate ears.

Hi Sal, welcome! Linda gave some good advice, I've never cared for a pup so young. I think it's best not to use soap if you can avoid it, maybe you can just use a terry cloth wash rag soaked in warm water, or maybe those gentler Alcohol-Free baby wipes, they're only a couple of dollars at Walmart. I use them when needed on my cat and they seem to be very gentle, no strong chemicals or fragrances....just natural.

For cleaning the floor, you can just use some white vinegar mixed with water solution, it'll be natural and safe for the pup, with no strong chemical smells or ingredients that may irritate.
    Good luck, sounds like you care and you'll do what's best for the little guy.

You don't have to submurge him to get him clean, just kind of dip him in the water and wash him with the dawn soap. Then wrap him in a fluffy towel to make sure he is completely dry. You don't want him to get a chill, that could kill him. You will need to clean him several times a day especially after he starts eating solid food, which he is old enough to make some soft mushy food for him.

The box isn't going to contain him for long, the bigger he gets the more he is going to want to explore, thats why I suggested getting a play pen. In a couple of weeks you can start housebreaking him, do not use pee pads or newspaper that will only confuse him when you train him to go outside. Also to make him really social let him take a nap while you are holding him. Hold him close and cuddle him, he will tightly bonded to you the more time you spend with him. As he get a bit older start introducing him to different people and cats and other dogs. (not before he's started his shots) Show him umbrellas, wheelchairs, cains, anything he may encounter later on, this way he'll have no fear of strange things.

Get him chew toys, he will be teething and a wet frozen face cloth will do but get him a little antler, one with at least one point on it so he can't choke and swallow it. Antlers are great because they are hard and with his little teeth he won't be able to break it but he can chew to his hearts content and soothe his gums and not be chewing furniture or your fingers. No squeeky toys, he will try to get the squeeky out and he can choke on that.

Once he's had his first baby shots you can start taking him outside, let him explore but watch him closely that he doesn't eat something he shouldn't. In a week or so would be a good time to put a collar on him, get him used to wearing that then attach a leash, let him drag the leash until he feels comfortable then you can start to teach him to walk nicely on leash. One thing at a time, go slow and keep the training sessions at ten minutes or less several times a day, they have a very short attention span and he won't remember from one session to the next.

His little mind needs to mature as well as his body. For now enjoy his puppyhood, it won't last long, soon you'll have a mature dog. And don't neuter him to young. Your vet will say six months but I never do it before over a year old. Usually more like 18 months. There are more health benefits to waiting, let him mature and be completely grown before you neuter him. Regardless of what your vet says, he is your dog you make the decisions for him.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'm wondering about the nose discharge. Does he have a respiratory infection? If he's been on an antibiotic it should be cleared up. If its food be careful he is not aspiring the food, if that gets into his lungs he can get pneumonia and you'll have a very sick puppy on your hands, pneumonia is fatal to young dogs. Even older dogs but young ones especially.

Because he has no mom or litter mates you are all he knows. No other pups to play with and learn things from, no mom to correct him, its all up to you. He will spend so much time with you he won't even know he's a dog. He will be your furry little boy.

Thanks Linda for your suggestions. Nose discharge worries me too. Doctor says he just have congestion. He is taking antibiotics. How to make sure he is not getting food in to his lungs? What precautions do I need to take? I forgot to put his antibiotic bottle in refrigerator for few hours. Does it make it less effective? It says keep at around 2 degrees Celsius. After I petted him on foot, face, head and back, he is responding very well. He even eat is meal now without much nudging him.

are you bottle feeding him? If so put him on your chest and hold the bottle up so he has to kind of reach for it like he would if he war nursing off his mom. If he's eating on his own raise the bowl slightly so gravity will help bring the food down. The anti biotic should be ok. I'm assuming its a liquid? Put your finger and thumb on each side of his mouth and gently open his mouth, put the anti biotic in the opening and hold his head upright forcing him to swallow. Also you can run HOT water in your bathroom until its steamy and bring him in the bathroom and let him breathe in the steam, that should help break up the congestion. Or even better get a vaporriser and use vicks vapo steam. Fill the vopriser with water and follow directions as to how much vicks to put in. Place it about a foot away from the pup. Let him breathe this in for about 30 minutes, do this three or four times a day. This will break up the congestion and make him cough which is what you want to clear the crud out of his lungs.

could he have kennel cough? thats like a child getting croup. Has he been around any other dogs? And for this young puppy treat it like a child and do the above steps to make him cough it up. Your vet will also want to do a kennel cough spray up his nose when he's a bit older, say no to that one, there are hundreds of strains of virus that cause kennel cough and the nose spray only covers one or two. And it can irritate his throat. Don't do any more shots than are absolutely necessary.

No, he eats on his own when I lift his bowl to help him taste it. It's liquid antibiotic. I'll buy vicks vapo tomorrow and follow your steps to help him. Thank

Don't know symptoms of kennel cough. How to figure out kennel cough? Mostly he sneezes and discharge from nose. He had other brothers and sisters in litter. I'll keep your suggestions in mind regarding shots.

Has the vet examined his mouth thoroughly? And checked for any signs of cleft palate?

this site will explain more about kennel cough

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/dogd...ennelCough.htm

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.