Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Help needed!! Urgent

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    raising an orphan puppy is a task but you can do it. He will sleep a lot, he's a baby, no shots until at least 6 weeks old. Put old blankets or towels on the floor which are easy to keep clean, just throw them in the washer, Wash the floor like you normally would, he is to young to not piddle and poop on the floor. You can wash him with dawn soap to keep him clean, put him in a dishpan with a little water and the soap and wash him with a facecloth. When he gets his shots insist on one shot at a time, I know they like to do the combo shots but its to much of a hit on their immature immune system. Just do the core shots, distemper and parvo to start with. Don't let them talk you into a bunch of shots you don't need. No rabies shot until at least six months old. If you overload his system with to many shots at one time he could have a reaction, convulsions and even brain damage. Handle him regularly, talk to him and get him used to being handled, handle his feet and touch his face and all over his body. Feet are especially important so when it comes time to clip his nails he won't be as bad about it hopefully.

It would work if you could put him in a playpen that way he can crawl around and if he pees, which he will it will be easy to clean up. Also the playpen will protect him when he gets more mobile. Put a stuffed animal in there with him, nothing with eyes that he can chew off and no squeeky toy. Just like a stuffed teddy bear or something in that nature. When he starts eating solid food feed a high quality grain free food. Puppy chow is ok for a start but don't keep him on that for long. Get a food "all stages" grain free or if you really want the best feed him raw. I can help you with that also. You can start by mixing rice baby cereal with his puppy food. Or you can even give him baby food, nothing with dies or artificial coloring. Of course wet the puppy food to make it soft and mushy so he can eat it, he will make a mess, his face and he will stand in the dish so his feet and legs need cleaning. Again dawn dish soap in a dishpan or something shallow he can stand in while you clean him. Be prepared to clean him after every meal, until he gets the hang of eating solid food it will be messy.

He will grow up just fine. Soon you will have a healthy puppy running around. If you need housebreaking tips come back later and I'll help you with that.
    Awe, 28 days old? Poor baby. Wonder why his mom didn't care for him? Must have been cause he is sick. Good you got him. Linda knows what she talking about for sure. He is mighty young. There is a dog flu running ramped I hope the poor boy don't have that already. It will tough bottle feeding for a while but you can do it! He needs that pretty often. Using a play pen is a very good idea too. And I would also use the baby wipes . I would warm it up a bit first before touching him with it. Even human babies don't like a cold cloth when they are changed. Stay strong and positive! And the stuffed toy will help feel he has company.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    this site will explain more about kennel cough

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/dogd...ennelCough.htm
    But he is not coughing. Only nasal discharge

He was born on 23rd April. it will be one month tomorrow. I was told his mother can't take of him so likely she is sick. He is eating on his own once he tastes the milk. I actually ordered a big cage for him already. he can move around and will be safe. he has stuffed toy with him - same one which i bought for my niece. I read online baby wipes are not good for puppy as they don't disinfect. I have puppy wet bath spray with tree oil to kill germs. fewm mins ago he was breathing heavily when sleeping so that scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Hi Sal, welcome! Linda gave some good advice, I've never cared for a pup so young. I think it's best not to use soap if you can avoid it, maybe you can just use a terry cloth wash rag soaked in warm water, or maybe those gentler Alcohol-Free baby wipes, they're only a couple of dollars at Walmart. I use them when needed on my cat and they seem to be very gentle, no strong chemicals or fragrances....just natural.

For cleaning the floor, you can just use some white vinegar mixed with water solution, it'll be natural and safe for the pup, with no strong chemical smells or ingredients that may irritate.
    Good luck, sounds like you care and you'll do what's best for the little guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Has the vet examined his mouth thoroughly? And checked for any signs of cleft palate?

No. I'll have to ask him for that

Is it rapid breathing or labored breathing. Fast breathing is nothing to worry about, very common in dogs and young pups but if he's having a hard time to breathe that should be seen by a vet.

If you got a big crate that is defeating the purpose of using one. For housebreaking the crate has to be just big enough for him to stand, turn around and lay down. If its a wire crate you can buy a divider to make it smaller. The crate is not intended for him to live in, just a place to sleep and housebreaking. Once he is fully housebroken and you can trust him not to get into things while you are gone then the crate should be put away. Unless you see he really loves going in the crate for his naps or just for some quiet time then by all means let him keep it, but not all dogs like it and for those that don't once he is housebroken and trustworthy I would not force him to go in it.

Is mom taking care of the rest of the litter? Is it just him she didn't? If the mother is sick she can pass it on to the pups and they'll all be sick, if she is taking care of the others then she knows something is wrong with this one and won't take care of him.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I think he is breathing rapidly and since his nose has some blockage, it makes noise. I don't think crate is too big but it on the way. probably, i'll change it later. It's not too expensive. I came to know yesterday other puppies from litter are also being adopted. So, there is some issue with mom. Puppy was fine when as i adopted him. I got him checked with vet just before adoption. They showed me three puppies.

your dog, up to you but if the crate is to big he will be able to move around and pee and poop somewhere where he can get away from it. You need a small confined space for housebreaking and just in case you don't know a dog that has the run of the house is very difficult to housebreak. I do the crate thing and its over and done with in less than a month.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I did not think of housbreaking yet. so, he will go in crate to sleep or poop?

another question - I just gave him bath as per your suggestion. i put him near a convection heater so that he dries fast. Heater is set to low and he is far in box so he won't be overheated. is this OK? i don't want him to catch cold...he anyways has congestion. I am going to get a vaporizer in few mins. I only have vick vaporub available not vaposteam. How much vicks vaporub should i put in how much water and how to keep from him? Thanks for helping

if the crate is to big he will pee and poop in it, they won't go where they sleep if they can possibly help it, thats the reason for the small crate. He will be fine to dry as long as he doesn't catch a draft while wet. You can pretty much dry him with a fluffy towel. Seriously think about getting a playpen for him, that will give him more room, easy to keep it clean and he can see whats going on.

The instructions will be on the box as to how much water and vaposteam to put in the vaporiser. The steam will help to break up the congestion.

Don't wait to long to start housebreaking, once it becomes a habit to go in the house you are going to have a hard time retraining to go outside. Course if he's small enough you can teach him to use a litterbox

Hats off to you again Sal for doing all you can for poor Milo. Plus Linda is so helpful.

Thanks for response. I am getting this - http://www.cesarsway.com/sites/defau...ilingcrate.jpg
    Currently, I want him to pee and poop there as right now he does it on the floor while new cage will have a tray so he won't make himself dirty. Isn't it too early for him to housebreak? He can't even walk properly as of now. He back legs slip all the time on floor.

regarding vaporizer, I don't have vaposteam. I have vicks vaporub. How much should i put it and how should i use that vaporizer on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Hats off to you again Sal for doing all you can for poor Milo. Plus Linda is so helpful.
    Thanks. Linda is awesome. My vet was already tired of getting my phone calls for each and every issue.

Don't ever feel bad about calling your vet's office. That's what they are there for. It shows you care about Milo!

unless your floor is slippery he should be walking pretty steadly by now. his eyes should be open, his ears should be open and he should be finding his feet. If the floor is slippery that may account for him not walking upright, give it a few more days and if he isn't walking good call your vet. As far as the vaporizer I'd say call your drug store and ask the pharmacist. I've never used just plain vicks, I think that is more of a thing to rub on the chest If they don't have the other ask what else you can use. But in the meantime just use plain water, it will steam and its better than nothing. Put it about a foot or a foot and a half away from him and let him breathe it in.

He is to young to actually housebreak but you can get him started by kind of coaxing him to go then praise him and give him some attention. When he's older you can use treats. I'm sure you know that by using a something to wet his little penis it will stimulate him to go. Paper towel, face cloth ect. Something a little bit rough like his mother's tongue would be. If he is eating solid food give him a little raw meat, hamburger, ground up chicken ect. Just a tiny taste so as not to disrupt his digestion.That protein is good for him. You should also be giving about a half a teaspoon of liquid vitamins. He's got a lot of catching up to do. When he is older and eating solid food regularly then I'll tell you what to add to his meals. And you should be offering him a little food four or five times a day, He'll only eat about an ounce so he'll be hungry often

It should start to steam in about five minutes, check out this video on how to use it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC2PV-exXo4

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.