Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Help needed!! Urgent

I spoke with a breeder friend of mine about your situation with Milo, she told me to tell you that you HAVE to get the puppy moving. If you have to move his legs around do so, he can't just lay there. She also said to put something under his bed so he isn't laying flat, she said she uses pool noodles, she cuts them up to put them under the blankets in the beds, if he continues to lay flat on the floor and not getting exercise he will be "flat chested" She agrees with everything else I told you to do but get that puppy moving. I told you I find it strange that he isn't standing and trying to walk, at his age he should be more mobile than he is. What will happen is the chest bone will not develop properly, leading to breathing difficulties and lung infections.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

you don't want him to pee and poop in the crate. You will never housebreak him, the crate is to confine him so when he has to go he will let you know by either barking or fussing. Bad idea to teach him its ok to go in his crate.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I spoke with a breeder friend of mine about your situation with Milo, she told me to tell you that you HAVE to get the puppy moving. If you have to move his legs around do so, he can't just lay there. She also said to put something under his bed so he isn't laying flat, she said she uses pool noodles, she cuts them up to put them under the blankets in the beds, if he continues to lay flat on the floor and not getting exercise he will be "flat chested" She agrees with everything else I told you to do but get that puppy moving. I told you I find it strange that he isn't standing and trying to walk, at his age he should be more mobile than he is. What will happen is the chest bone will not develop properly, leading to breathing difficulties and lung infections.
    I am worried if he will get hurt in my two bedroom apartment. What is best way to get him moving? I am also keeping him away from fan. My vet told me. So, he is alone in other room sleeping most of the times

He do walks sometimes, but his cage is small right now. I put him on bed once to dry him and he jumped from it. That scared the hell out of me. So, now he is in small cage until big one arrives. I need to think about house training too.

So, how to safely have him moving?

Is it OK to keep him near me under fan? I don't like keeping him in different room with no fan.

Good to hear from you. What type of fan? Like a heater or cooling type?

Hi again, it's probably okay to keep Milo near you. As long as the fan doesn't scare him or is set on high you should be okay. I understand about getting concerned about him jumping off the bed. Just keep an eye on Milo. You're doing a good job with him.

How is his congestion doing with the vaporizer? The fan won't hurt him as long as he is dry, don't put him in front of it if he's wet. You have to keep him moving around to strengthen his muscles. He can't just lay there all day. Thats why I suggested getting the playpen. Its big enough for him to move around yet he can't get hurt and the padding is easy to keep clean. He is young and he needs to build up some muscle mass, only put him in his cage for nap time. Also I want you to start giving him more solid food. Get some can food, something really soft like a stew or at least soft enough that you can kind of mush it up for him. Stay away from anything made by purina, diamond and pedigree. You need a grain free high quality food. Until you get that give him some raw meat along with mushed up puppy dry food. I know that will have to be probably purina, give him as little of that as possible. They use rendered meat in their food and that is not something you want to feed him. Rendered meat is road kill and euthanized animals all chopped up and mixed with grain. do a search on rendered meat and see whats in that. Diseased animals and everything else, including collars and feathers. That stuff is vile.

Until you can get him some decent food feed him baby food. No dyes or artificial coloring. Go with something like the turkey and chicken. I feed raw so I'm really pushing you to stay away from the commercial junk thats out there. Any food you can get at a grocery or department store is not good food. You need to go to a high end pet food place to get the grain free good stuff. Don't forget his vitamins, about 1/2 a teaspoon daily, liquid vitamins. With him being so small you should be feeding him 4 or 5 times a day, all he wants at a feeding. He is growing and he needs those extra calories to help him grow properly.

Once you decide on a brand you are going to feed stick with it, don't keep switching and if you do change do it gradually, a quick change will cause him to have loose watery stools and stomach upsets. Orajin is the top of the line best food out there, next is fromm. Start him off with lamb, that is very easy for him to digest, later if you want you can try something else but best to start off with lamb, something his stomach can handle.

encourage him to walk around, and give him some toys to play with. nothing he can chew up and hurt himself on, give him a nyla bone or an antler. His little milk teeth are in by now and his big teeth will follow soon so he needs something to chew on. Only put him in his bed when its time to sleep, he still will sleep a lot but when he's awake keep him amused and moving.

Hi Salv_nyc. Have you tried taking him out in the grass? It might stimulate him enough to want to walk a bit. And the high end pet foods do have puppy food as well. I know for sure Fromm does. That is what I buy and I have seen puppy food in their brand. I wouldn't give him Purina anything. How is he doing? If you are doing what Linda is telling you , you will do well, and as she keeps suggesting , please get a play pen. Then if you take him outside, you can turn the play pen over and keep him in the grass that way hopefully to help him want to move. But with his congestion I don't know as if I would wet him to wash him. I would just use baby wipes for now still. And that laying flat will not only cause problems as Linda said would happen it might cause him to get pneumonia . But the vaporizer is a great idea. I used it a a parrot I had because the last owner took him in bars filled with smoke and his air sacks were not functioning well, the vaporizer helped greatly , we covered him and put it under his cage for a while each day. You really don't need Vicks in it, like Linda said steam is good and better than nothing....I would prefer no Vicks. But that is a question for the vet. And Esme is right they are there for you so don't hesitate to call as often as you have to. Thank You for caring for this little guy, because of you he has a life and he will reward you greatly when he is older. God Bless you for this deed!

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Hi again, it's probably okay to keep Milo near you. As long as the fan doesn't scare him or is set on high you should be okay. I understand about getting concerned about him jumping off the bed. Just keep an eye on Milo. You're doing a good job with him.
    Sure. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovemylittleboy View Post
    Hi Salv_nyc. Have you tried taking him out in the grass? It might stimulate him enough to want to walk a bit. And the high end pet foods do have puppy food as well. I know for sure Fromm does. That is what I buy and I have seen puppy food in their brand. I wouldn't give him Purina anything. How is he doing? If you are doing what Linda is telling you , you will do well, and as she keeps suggesting , please get a play pen. Then if you take him outside, you can turn the play pen over and keep him in the grass that way hopefully to help him want to move. But with his congestion I don't know as if I would wet him to wash him. I would just use baby wipes for now still. And that laying flat will not only cause problems as Linda said would happen it might cause him to get pneumonia . But the vaporizer is a great idea. I used it a a parrot I had because the last owner took him in bars filled with smoke and his air sacks were not functioning well, the vaporizer helped greatly , we covered him and put it under his cage for a while each day. You really don't need Vicks in it, like Linda said steam is good and better than nothing....I would prefer no Vicks. But that is a question for the vet. And Esme is right they are there for you so don't hesitate to call as often as you have to. Thank You for caring for this little guy, because of you he has a life and he will reward you greatly when he is older. God Bless you for this deed!
    I have not taken him out to grass yet. No park is nearby. Vet has told me to keep him indoors as he is prone to infections. I looked around to get a playpen but they all look like cages. What's the difference? show me pic?

I bought one similar to this..same size
    http://www.petsmart.com/dog/crates-g...pfm%3Dcategory

I have wet bath spray but he becomes too dirty and yellowish. So, I fear germs. I give him light bath every next day for legs, belly, light on face...no head bath.

I have been putting him in smaller cage for last two days with vaporizer and covering it with bedsheet. I don't think it works...vaporizers work so slowly. It give very slow steam. No vicks. I read bad things about vicks. and yes, I have been bothering vet on weekend on his cell phone. He is helpful

His nose discharge has slowed down but not going away. Vet says continue antibiotic for 10 days how ever bottle says throw away after 7 days of use. what is best?

How is his congestion doing with the vaporizer? The fan won't hurt him as long as he is dry, don't put him in front of it if he's wet. You have to keep him moving around to strengthen his muscles. He can't just lay there all day. Thats why I suggested getting the playpen. Its big enough for him to move around yet he can't get hurt and the padding is easy to keep clean. He is young and he needs to build up some muscle mass, only put him in his cage for nap time. Also I want you to start giving him more solid food. Get some can food, something really soft like a stew or at least soft enough that you can kind of mush it up for him. Stay away from anything made by purina, diamond and pedigree. You need a grain free high quality food. Until you get that give him some raw meat along with mushed up puppy dry food. I know that will have to be probably purina, give him as little of that as possible. They use rendered meat in their food and that is not something you want to feed him. Rendered meat is road kill and euthanized animals all chopped up and mixed with grain. do a search on rendered meat and see whats in that. Diseased animals and everything else, including collars and feathers. That stuff is vile.

Until you can get him some decent food feed him baby food. No dyes or artificial coloring. Go with something like the turkey and chicken. I feed raw so I'm really pushing you to stay away from the commercial junk thats out there. Any food you can get at a grocery or department store is not good food. You need to go to a high end pet food place to get the grain free good stuff. Don't forget his vitamins, about 1/2 a teaspoon daily, liquid vitamins. With him being so small you should be feeding him 4 or 5 times a day, all he wants at a feeding. He is growing and he needs those extra calories to help him grow properly.

Once you decide on a brand you are going to feed stick with it, don't keep switching and if you do change do it gradually, a quick change will cause him to have loose watery stools and stomach upsets. Orajin is the top of the line best food out there, next is fromm. Start him off with lamb, that is very easy for him to digest, later if you want you can try something else but best to start off with lamb, something his stomach can handle.

encourage him to walk around, and give him some toys to play with. nothing he can chew up and hurt himself on, give him a nyla bone or an antler. His little milk teeth are in by now and his big teeth will follow soon so he needs something to chew on. Only put him in his bed when its time to sleep, he still will sleep a lot but when he's awake keep him amused and moving.
    I think he felt better with vaporizer but I did not myself felt much humid inside his cage. It was mildly humid. His vet insist taking him away from fan. confirmed this on weekend. Now he moves around and tries to bite my finger and other things. I am trying t keep in out of cage most of the times but he sleeps all day most of the times..antibiotics and cold syrup affect? from today, i am suppose to give me mother milk formula 5 times and weaning milk 3 times as per Vet. what you think? he has 18 years of experience as Vet. His mother's milk formula has lots of vitamins...what do you think...more vits? besides he gets colostrum doses twice a day. As of now, he eats 8 times a day.

As per Vet, looks like solid food is away. I'll confirm with him as I have one pack of weaning milk and half of mother's milk formula. He has toys. i'll buy antlers or nyla bone as he wants to chew something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Good to hear from you. What type of fan? Like a heater or cooling type?
    It's normal ceiling fan

I working to get pool noodles or similar...he is starting to walk around...but i guess those cold syrup and antibiotics kick in.

Of course mother's milk is the best thing for him but at a month old its time to start weaning him off the milk and getting him used to solid food. Give him that milk until its gone but by then he should be on all solid food. Start off with soft can food and gradually add harder food. Not to hard that he can't chew it, moisten it to make it softer and you can mix it with the can. Or baby food if you are going that route.

I don't know where the vet is going with not letting him have the fan. Especially a ceiling one, Its going to be really hot this week and you don't want him to overheat. My daughter has 4 bulldogs and central ac but she still has ceiling fans and two floor fans for them.

Your vet may be knowledgeable and if you trust him good but with me I listen to their advice but if it doesn't make sense to me I do what I want. I realize they have been to vet school and have more education than I do but that doesn't make them any smarter. My thing with vets is they push for to many shots, shots that can do more harm than good. Giving that combo shot is an example. The dog is a baby and giving a combo shot with 5 different things in it is to much a hit on their immature immune. And everytime they do a booster it again signals the body to fight off whatever it is the shot is for, and if you had a tider test done you would find the antibodies are at the same level as after having the first shot. Once you are immune you are immune, how much more can it get? And they are not trained in nutrition they tend to go with certain dog food companies that push their product on them. Most vets will recommend feeding Hills dog food. Hills makes a lot of speciality foods, which is fine if you dog is having an issue but its really not the best food. They also recommend science diet, that is total junk. They also promote early spay and neuter, again something I don't agree with. If a dog is done before they are fully mature the legs and nose keeps growing. 75% of dogs that have that crucia tear in the knee were done before a year old. Thats because the legs keep growing putting a strain on that ligament in the knee and eventually it tears. The vet won't tell you this and will deny it if pushed but there is to much evidence that shows otherwise. He will give you the song and dance about them getting cancer, the truth is its only a 2% more risk of cancer than if you wait. But he's your dog so you do what you want. But before you have any procedures check it out before agreeing to anything.

By the way if the dog blows the knee, its a $2000 surgery and in a lot of cases the other knee will blow in a couple of years, the reason being when they tear the knee they put their weight on the remaining good leg thus making the leg weak. Then they want to do the ptlo surgery, again don't do that, go with the traditional one where they use fishing line to stable the knee, the tplo surgery involves cutting the bone and putting a plate with screws in it and dogs have developed cancer at the site where the bone was cut and with the screws. And once its cut it can't be undone.

Before agreeing to any procedures check things out for yourself. You will save yourself a lot of money and heartache if you know whats going on and is it necessary. Don't let them push stuff on to you if you aren't comfortable with it.

The difference between the crate and the play pen is much more room for him to move around and play, the cage is confining how much playing and running around can he do in a crate? The playpen is portable, you can fold it up and take it with you and he can be in it when you can't watch him. Even take him out with you when you sit outside, he'll always be safe in his playpan and won't be all caged in a small space like the crate. Again the crate should only be used for housebreaking or putting him to bed. They are not designed for animals to live in.

Go to a yard sale and you can probably find one cheap.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.