Potty training my 3rd puppy and I am lost

Potty training my 3rd puppy and I am lost

Hello, so this is my third dog and I feel like I lost control of potty training. I think because our last dog was a 8 yr veteran therapy dog trained from TDI.org. So we purchased a rescue puppy last Thursday and yes in know she may have accidents in the house but at night she will pee in her crate. We take water away 90 min before bed (per Petco) and she still urinates in the crate. And yes we let her out two to three times at night.

just a few minutes ago she literally soaked her bed that is in our living room. I swear she has a bladder the size of a pea.

Perhaps ps because my last dog was a therapy dog and very well trained, maybe I expect too much. I just didn't think potty training would be so tough. For those who said dogs don't go in their crate, think again. I would use newspaper but in training classes from last puppy they recommended we don't do that. Only because you take a puppy to a friends house and if they happen to have newspaper laying around, well?

any insight helps.. Thanks!!

Is the crate to big? The crate should only be big enough for her to lay down and turn around in. And bigger and she can go in a corner and get away from it. If you think she has a bladder problem take her to a vet and be sure its not a UTI, if everything is ok, try adding some cranberry supplement or there is a soy pill used for incontinence.

You don't say how old the pup is? Are you training with a word, like go piddle, or go potty? Take her out to where you want her to go and say "go potty" when she goes give her a special treat and praise, take her out often, when she wakes up, after playing and about fifteen minutes after she eats. If she doesn't go right away run her around for a bit to "loosen things up". Never scold or punish her if she has an accident, just clean it up and move on, if you scold her she will be afraid and she'll find some corner to hide it in. Take a rag you used to clean up the pee and some of her poop, put it where you want her to go, she will sniff it and get the idea. Take away all water at least two hours before her final out for the night, what doesn't go in won't come out. Have her on a schedule for feeding, out times, ect. You have to be consistent. If all else fails leash her to you, that way you can catch her in the act.

When taking her out use a word like "outside" everytime you take her out say "outside" she'll catch on quickly, if you catch her squatting pick her up and say "outside" when she goes outside give her a treat and praise. These three words are important to her training, she'll associate "outside" with going out, "go piddle" with peeing and "go potty" for pooping. Housebreaking is not hard if you are consistent and fair, for every month old she is she can hold it one hour. If she's very young you may have to take her out more often.

If you look back at one of my earlier posts titled need help, urgent, I have a whole outline of housebreaking. This thread is located here http://www.petforums.com/showthread....eeded!!-Urgent Bottom of page 5
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hi Linda, she is 9 weeks so to your point she can not hold it very long. Yes as I said this is my third dog so it's natural to use keywords like lets go outside and once out its lets go potty. I believe in a thousand praises so she does know when she gets as we praise her like she is a princess.
    The kennel she slept in was from my 94 lb rotti so yes, you are right as that's too big. I will try her in a smaller one that is big enough for her to stretch head to toe. Will let u know how the night goes.

Thank you for your time!!

She's just a baby. I never had any experience with a crate, but I've used newspaper successfully in puppy training. If they start to go in the house, you can pick them up when they're in the act and put them on the paper. Then gently tell them to go there. That's only in case they are in the house when they need to go...but ideally you bring the pup outside and stay with her, even on a leash, until she does her business. Always praise calmly when they go outside.

I just found that when I used to work and was gone all day, even though my dogs were well trained, if they had a stomach ache or for some reason couldn't hold it until I came home, they had a safe place to relieve themselves. I think I only remember the newspaper in the basement being used once when I was gone.

I'm always interested in the crate technique, although I always like my pups to be gated in the kitchen during training, unless I was there with them in other rooms to supervise. Usually pups that young need to go out immediately after waking from a nap or waking up in the morning. I sometimes carried mine out before they could have an accident in the house, worked well, didn't have to do that for long.

I really think staying with her and encouraging her to go when she's outside is key...good luck!

you can't expect to much from a 9 week old puppy, but its good to lay the groundwork now. But actually she can't control herself until around 11 or 12 weeks. And what breed is she? Some breeds are much easier to train. Afghan hounds, bull terriers and basset hounds are the hardest but shephreds, collies, rottis labs ect are very easy.
    Just be consistent and hang in there, she's just a baby, give her time, she will learn. Dogs don't self train so its up to you to teach her what she needs to know. Good luck with her
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Get the potty Training Pads they work really well.

Idk if your already doing these tips. If you are good for you! If your not they may help. Simply just praise whenever she goes potty outside where she is allowed to and maybe even give her a treat every now and then. If she pees inside still handy to have pee pads during this to help with the mess. Scold her whenever she pees in her cage, only iff you catch her in the act. Doing it hours after like in the morning after she was in there all night may prove useless because she may not even know what she is doing wrong. If you catch her in the act don't yell or bop on the noes. Simply just use a harsh tone say no or whatever your 'you were a bad girl' word is and place her outside for the hope she may have some left n her and go outside. Also if none of this works take her to the vet because she may have bladder problems.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.