Dog chases cars

Dog chases cars

I need some advice on how to stop my dog from trying to chase a car while on leash. It scares me that I will one day lose grip on the leash or he will break his harness/leash. Any advice? He is a 1/5 year old male cavapoo.

I would walk him with a collar and a harness, a leash on both, try to walk him where there is no traffic. Chasing is natural so you want to minimize contact with cars as much as possible. Also teach him a firm recall, he has to come when called no matter what he is doing. It may one day save his life.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I agree with Linda, try walking him when there is less traffic until he gets used to it. Do not let him control you but rather take charge of the situation when walking.

Be assertive and say no! Get a strong leash and make sure his collar fits properly

The dog won't know what no means if he's never been taught. Dogs do not self train, he needs training and guidance not harsh treatment. Work with him on learning commands, if he gets away with chasing cars the next thing he'll be chasing bikes and people walking by. He is only six months old, should be easily trained, but you should have started training him as soon as you got him, he's never to young or old to learn
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

It is important to teach your dog to stop chasing when you do not want him to. The best way to do this is to hone in on the command “come." Once your dog masters this skill he should always fall back and come to you based on your voice command. To install the training practice, you need to commit to never chase after your dog if he takes something from you, whether it be in play or not. Rather, you stay in place and say the word “come.” Once you dog obeys your command and comes, you need to take the object and reward him with love and maybe even a treat to reinforce good behavior. As this training process may take a while, you should continue to practice. You may also want to consider signing you and your dog up for a professional training course to help achieve this skill.

..hi I'm cams from the Phil..I would like to asks...what shall I do to to my puppy to avoid chasing my slippers..

when he starts to chase something you don't want him to do redirect him with a chew toy or otherwise divert his attention to something else.

Give your pet a something that can he/she can play.

A slip leash is a wonderful tool to use. But yeah I agree with Linda. And you have to teach him soon. Harsh treatment never works only makes them a fearful dog. And don't use those awful collars with the spikes either, they dig in the skin after a while and cause pain. Who ever invented those should have his patent recalled. I don't understand people. Why do they think things like that work? Or are necessary? Try out on themselves first see how it feels................

yeah Linda but he has to learn to be around cars in order to learn not to chase them. I would start with family members or a friend to let them help out by bringing their car over and doing a few lessons. And a good productive walk before the lesson will help greatly

the dog mentality is if it 'runs" we chase, and to the dog the car is running away from them. The goal is to chase it away and when the car gets out of sight they figured they chased it away and that is what they want.

This narrows down to abit of training and having a strong leash while you do it. Meanwhile try to stay away from high traffic zones this might endanger your dog's life.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.