Am I wrong to do this?

Am I wrong to do this?

In the woods where I take Phoenix daily is a mother coyote with pups. I've been putting food out for her nightly. I can't stand the thought of these poor animals being hungry. So every night after supper I take all the leftovers I have from the day and bring it to the woods and put it out for them to eat. The food is always gone when I go back the next day. I know if the police get wind of this I could be in trouble but its a chance I'll take. I don't want to see anything go hungry.

this is the article that was in today's paper

Police warn of coyote sightings in Merrimack

By KIMBERLY HOUGHTON
    Union Leader Correspondent

MERRIMACK — Authorities are warning local residents about a coyote that has been spotted recently near Wildcat Falls Road and surrounding neighborhoods.

Police say the coyote has ventured onto residential property and attacked backyard chickens in the area of Wildcat Falls Road.

There have also been possible sightings reported on Rutherford Street and Bancroft Street, according to a release.

“None of the aforementioned reports have indicated that the coyotes are traveling in packs,” states the release.

Although it is rare for coyotes to attack humans, Merrimack police said it is important to keep smaller pets inside at night to avoid potential problems. They also urged local residents to place secure lids on trash cans, and to remove fallen fruit from yards.

Keeping your pets and pet food inside at night helps reduce the likelihood that a family pet will become prey, according to the New Hampshire Fish and Game website, which states coyotes pose little risk to people.

Anyone encountering a coyote on their property who would like an officer to assist may call 424-3774.

- See more at: http://www.unionleader.com/article/2....SOaw5Hht.dpuf
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I would do the exact same thing you are doing and I think it's admirable! No one wants to step up and help these poor animals & thank goodness you are feeding them. Their land is being taken away day by day so they are moving closer to people and their food/water supply is disappearing. It's people like us who are have a heart for these poor animals!
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I don't think she is any threat to me or Phoenix, Phoenix is to big for her to attack but with pups, who knows. I don't take her with me anyway when I bring food. I can't stand the thought of her and her pups being hungry. Why throw food away when something can eat it?
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I agree and feel the same way. I believe that she and her pups realize you are not a threat and are grateful that you are feeding them. We save table scraps for the resident woodchucks, deer, etc. and leave it for them. Plus we put several basins of water out for them to drink from.

there is a running stream in back of the woods so water isn't an issue. This week I'm doing beef hearts for treats, get sixty pounds of hearts and probably about ten pounds of waste I can't use, fat, veins ect. So they will have a good feed Saturday night.

It's good to hear about the water and plus the leftovers they will love...you are awesome

maybe if everyone put out their scraps they wouldn't be so hungry they attack pets. I have no idea how many are out there but I do know this one in particular has pups

You're right Linda. We try our best to feed the strays who need some help. I wouldn't want any animal to go hungry if I could help it either.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.