Need Advice: Rapid Breathing (fast srr) in GoldenDoodle Puppy

Exclamation Need Advice: Rapid Breathing (fast srr) in GoldenDoodle Puppy

Hey All,

Really need some advice, we have an 8 month old GoldenDoodle puppy who is having some rapid breathing issues. For about the last 3 months, our puppy has been breathing really rapidly most times during the day and at night (his resting and sleeping respitory rate is about 60 breaths per minute). I've taken him to the vet numerous times without them finding anything / being able to diagnose it.

They have listened to his heart and lungs (a lot!), done a full fungal panel, checked for / treated him with antibiotics, tried some allergy medicine (Zyrtec), done a chest and lung X-ray, and ran his bloodwork when he was neutered (had this issue then too), and everything they can find shows him as completely healthy. He has so much energy, can play hard for long periods of time, and acts completely normal...but his breathing isn't.

He'll pant mildly first thing in the morning, is restless at night, and most of the time that he does sleep will have this rapid, shallow, breathing. Has as anyone else experienced this? I've asked my vet about everything I can find online (hyper thyroid, cushing's disease, heart issues) and they don't think it's any of these....

Appreciate any information or similar experiences, id love him to get a relaxed sleep and breathe a little easier (or feel better that this is normal). I am not scared to do more tested but feel like we and our VET are completely stumped.

My first thought is has his palette been checked? If the palette is to long it can be cut back to make breathing easier. I'm sending you this article, it may or may not help but can read it and see if you get any ideas. But I would speak to the vet and ask about the palette. My daughter has a bulldog that breathed like yours, they cut back the palette and now he's fine

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...ypnea_panting#
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thanks Linda! This is a great suggestion I had not see anywhere else. Will bring this up with our Vet and maybe consult a 2nd one. People of petforums world, let me know if you have any other thoughts I could test!!!

Just to let you know though, he's still a puppy and cutting back the pallet will help but it could grow back and you may have to have it done again
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hi DoodleLover, welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear about the rapid breathing, I really have had no experience with that. I have a young labradoodle now myself, and he sometimes pants when sleeping, but I haven't noticed anything to be concerned about. Could your dog just be excited when dreaming at night?

Since he's been checked by the doctor and they say he's healthy, maybe you can try a mild lavender scent to calm during the night. You can ask your vet first before you use it, but I don't think it's harmful as long as it's diluted and not used directly on the dog himself, I think it's worth a try. You can use it yourself if it doesn't help the dog in a few days. http://www.petforums.com/showthread....light=lavender

Maybe just being so high energy, he may be a bit hyper which causes the rapid breathing during the day? I'm far from an expert in these things, but sometimes as pet parents we worry a lot and overthink things. Is the vet very concerned that the rapid breathing can cause a serious problem?

Sorry Alpha1, it didn't alert me that you had responded and randomly I just checked this thread. It's possible about him just being excited....except the first few months of his life (4-5 months) he didn't do this. He slept through the night and didn't pant unless he was exercised. The vet is not overly concerned but still she's not living with it, watching him pant almost 24/7.

It could be maybe that as he ages this will wear off but then again since he didn't used to be like this and now there's a noticeable change, I can't help but wonder if there isn't something more to it.

I hope he's okay, let us know if you find out any more.

Hi Doodlelover. We have a 7 month old goldendoodle. Lovely dog. We've also been curious about his rapid breathing during sleep. I think he is more likely to do it when he lies on our bed, where he is warmer than if he lies on the floor, but it's still weird. He doesnt do it while he's awake. He will pant occasionally, but again, we always correlate it with how warm he is. He also has a clear discharge from both nostrils that varies in amount throughout the day. Otherwise, he's healthy! He can run and bounce and play with gusto and doesnt tire out before our very energetic dalmatian. I was just observing him sleep and thought i'd do an internet search to see what i could find. Any luck with the pallette information?

clear discharge could be a symptom of an allergy. If the discharge is cloudy, yellowy or pussy he needs to be seen by a vet.

If its a food allergy, that is easy, change his food, give him a grain free high quality food if you aren't already and if that doesn't help its enviormental and thats not so easy to pinpoint.

Only way to know for sure what he is allergic to is to take him to a doggy dermatologist where they will do skin scrapings to find out exactly what he is allergic to.

If the dog gets to hot that will make him pant and breathe heavy. If he is a heavy breather all the time then I would have the palette checked.

Hey Guys,

Been great help on here allowing me to have better conversations with the Vet. A few things to update you on:

1) Elongated palette has been ruled out. Two separate vets (same practice examined him and the videos I have) and said that his symptoms and sounds are definitely not elongated palette. I also watched some YouTube videos of dogs with symptoms and he doesn't match any of those at all.

2) We did sedate him and look down his throat because he was having some trouble swallowing his food (which also ruled out elongated palette). They took a fungal culture and found a few things. No fungus but his throat is slightly swollen and he has a huge E. coli infection (as much as we try to stop him he tries to eat poop anytime we can). So he is on a dose of e coli specific antibiotics - 5 days left which should make him feel a lot better.

3) they did not rule out allergies as mentioned by Linda2147. After we rule out the E. coli if things still aren't 100% we will change food and then follow Linda's steps to test for allergens.

Will try to keep you all updated as more unfolds but hope this helps. Hey DogMama, I also found several other posts like ours where other doodle lovers mention this breathing behavior and they say it lasted from 6-7 months to a little over a year. So hopefully it's just normal (scruffy also has clear nasal discharge).

put meat tenderizer on the poop, that will discourage him from eating it

If only it were that simple...I walk him a lot off leash and he'll find deer scat or horse manure (we live in KY) and try to sneak it on me.

my pup breaths fast too

Hi- did this ever resolve in your pup? or did you ever figure it out? my pup is a rescue mutt that breathes really fast on and off with no clear reason. we've done enormous amount of testing and cant seem to get to the bottom of it. many thanks for any help you can offer

Quote Originally Posted by DoodleLover View Post
    Hey All,

Really need some advice, we have an 8 month old GoldenDoodle puppy who is having some rapid breathing issues. For about the last 3 months, our puppy has been breathing really rapidly most times during the day and at night (his resting and sleeping respitory rate is about 60 breaths per minute). I've taken him to the vet numerous times without them finding anything / being able to diagnose it.

They have listened to his heart and lungs (a lot!), done a full fungal panel, checked for / treated him with antibiotics, tried some allergy medicine (Zyrtec), done a chest and lung X-ray, and ran his bloodwork when he was neutered (had this issue then too), and everything they can find shows him as completely healthy. He has so much energy, can play hard for long periods of time, and acts completely normal...but his breathing isn't.

He'll pant mildly first thing in the morning, is restless at night, and most of the time that he does sleep will have this rapid, shallow, breathing. Has as anyone else experienced this? I've asked my vet about everything I can find online (hyper thyroid, cushing's disease, heart issues) and they don't think it's any of these....

Appreciate any information or similar experiences, id love him to get a relaxed sleep and breathe a little easier (or feel better that this is normal). I am not scared to do more tested but feel like we and our VET are completely stumped.

if all else fails and there is a vet teaching hospital near you that is the place to go. They won't stop looking until they have answers for you and they are no more and lots of time even less than you'd pay your vet. These are vet students under highly qualified vets. Thats the place to go for answers no one else can give you

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.