Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Bath Today for Puppy...Went Well

Smile First Bath Today for Puppy...Went Well

The dog has never had a bath, and I'm not one to bathe my dogs more than a couple of times a year, usually after a camping trip and they've been rolling in stuff. I bought some natural puppy shampoo with no bad chemicals, the name brand is CHI, pH balanced, sulfate and paraben free.

I filled both sides of my twin kitchen sink with tepid water. Put him in one sink for shampoo and partial rinse, then to the other for final rinse. He did really well for the bathing and towel dry. But then, I brought out the blow dryer, his being so young yet, I didn't want him to catch cold, had the heat up in the house also.

Well, he didn't like the dryer much, tried to just keep it away from his face, and hold him on the grooming table in a way he felt a bit secure. When I let him down, he was super happy, they are always so happy one the bath is over with.

I take Phoenix to the groomer for her bath because they "defluff" her at the same time. But when she got skunk sprayed I bathed her and she was fine with it. She is pretty agreeable with me doing anything with her except cutting her nails.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

So far my husband cut the pup's nails with the larger cat nail clipper we had, worked good on him for now.

Only one time I tried to cut Phoenix's nails, took me half an hour to do one toe, I'd rather pay the groomer than fight with her about it. Once a month we take the "dreaded ride" and end up at the groomer's. She is so excited to go for a ride, until she realizes where we are, then the head goes down and I practically have to drag her out of the car. She is the worst dog I've even seen about having her nails done.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Have they ever cut her quick, is that why she's fearful?

No, I only tried once to do it and she was so bad I never tried again and she was never cut so I don't know what her problem is but it has to be done whether she co operates or not

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    No, I only tried once to do it and she was so bad I never tried again and she was never cut so I don't know what her problem is but it has to be done whether she co operates or not
    Lol lol Linda Levi had her beat I think! Lol ...He was so bad about it. I just went to the vet they had it done in 5 minutes!.. I quit fighting him.too He wore me out.And I did every groomer trick in the book. He was a rescue so I really have no idea about his back ground. But he was petrfied of fire. Would not go near the fire place in winter. He was scared of alot of things for awhile. But we got to know each other and he settled down alot. Smokey Joe was a great help....he loved Smokey. I mss my boys.
    Alpha sounds like Bigfoot will do well for bathing..

After she was kicked out of three grooming places for biting the groomer I was taking her to the vet, then I found this out and she has been the best with this one so far, but she has to be muzzled. I don't trust her not to bite another groomer, I"m running out of groomers. Even at the vet, muzzled it still took two people to hold her down and one to cut the nails. I think they were glad when I started taking her elsewhere

It's great to hear that Bigfoot did so well with the bath. I understand about the dryer...it's so noisy and loud. Thank goodness the cats are self cleaning My hubby and I split the nail trimming and brushing duties. When we got the paperwork with long haired Fluff Daddy it indicated that he had to go to the vet and be sedated for grooming. That just didn't sit well with me...especially with the dangers of sedation. So we just took our time and got his burrs out and brush him regularly. Linda I can't imagine what you had to go through with Phoenix with being so big and tough to manage...you have the right idea taking to a groomer you trust.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

she's actually doing a bit better, Molly, my groomer, said she stood still and even let her drummel the nails after she cut them. Course just to be safe she still has to be muzzled. Its not worth the aggravation for me to do them, I can do anything else with her but when she sees the nail cutter she freaks. Must be a shepherd thing, my rescue didn't like it either but in time I was able to do hers. When I first got her she had been abused and neglected, her nails were more than an inch long, I didn't even attempt it, took her to the vet and had him do it. My vet was even appauled at her condition, she was bone thin, overgrown nails, she didn't even know how to bark, my other shepherd pretty much taught her how to be a dog. She had never seen a toy or been to play in the woods. I spent hours and hours with her just teaching her the fun things she could do with me. Then I lost her to cancer, much to soon, but her early life probably contributed to her poor health

Why don't you muzzle her at home? Before you get to the vet? When we brought home she use to let me trip her nails then she was getting sick and didn't let me anymore. So I took her to the vet and they weren't gonna do it because they said she was trying to nip at them. I said if you have a muzzle I will put it on for you. And I did (she didn't mind) It is they way they approach the dogs. And if they aren't gentle the dog remembers that!. In grooming school I saw first hand how scared people handle a dog that don't want his nails clipped. And it really disturbed me. If they are afraid of the dog , what do they expect? Ugh..... Smokey was like that to with his nails when he got sick.....wanted nothing to do with me clipping him. And he was so good with anything I wanted to do. He used to love to be VACUUMED!!! Lol As soon as he saw the attachments he would come over to me and lay right down and paw me and roll over! he was so cute.

I'm not afraid of Phoenix, she just won't stand still or even lay still. More hassle than its worth, the groomer puts her on a table and she is pretty good for her

Oh Linda hearing you talk about your rescue and what a crappy life she had until she met you is heartbreaking. Although you lost her to cancer (and you're right...her early life didn't help her health any) you were the best person for her to have at the end of her life. You turned things around and showed her happiness and joy. That's the most important thing. If only we could save all the abused animals out there.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

that $hitbag owner of her's kept her crated for 18 months, he only kept her so the x wife couldn't have her. Half the time didn't feed her and never let her out except to go potty. So when I got her she was not and never would be a normal shepherd. I got her because my daughter was dating this guy's roommate and when she saw the dog she told Mr. skumbag that she was going to tell me and he'd be in a world of trouble. He told her take the dog or I'll shoot her. So she took her and of course brought her to me. She was a good girl, just not a normal shepherd, but that's ok, I love her anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.