Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

First Bath Today for Puppy...Went Well

That is so horrible to treat an animal like that. If I was the ex wife I would never have left my dog. I can't believe the scumbag's roommate didn't do anything either. I just don't get people sometimes who are scared to stand up for an innocent animal. But a big pat on the back for your daughter and getting that poor dog out of that situation. Plus throwing your wrath in there was enough to let the guy take her. She was lucky to have you and your daughter to love her.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

The x wife had moved to Florida, we tried to find her to see if she wanted the dog but couldn't. The roommate would let her out once in a while when $shithead wasn't home and and would buy dog food and feed her when idiot boy went away for the weekend. You know its awful of me to say but when I found out this guy was dying of cancer I was happy, no one was more deserving to die then he was for the way he treated Molly.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I was devastated when they told me she had lymphoma, I did not have chemo, told them I was taking her home and when she got sick we'd be back. Five weeks later I got up and she was all bloated and having a hard time to breathe, I took her in and was told she'd only last another day or two and she'd strangle herself. I didn't want that for her so I made the decision to put her down. She was so bonded to me that I promised her my face was the last thing she would see. I wouldn't leave her there to die among strangers. She died peacefully with her head in my lap. That dog never caught a break, she finally had a good life and she didn't live long enough to enjoy it. If there is an afterlife I hope that guy rots in hell where he belongs.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Oh Linda hearing you talk about your rescue and what a crappy life she had until she met you is heartbreaking. Although you lost her to cancer (and you're right...her early life didn't help her health any) you were the best person for her to have at the end of her life. You turned things around and showed her happiness and joy. That's the most important thing. If only we could save all the abused animals out there.

AMEN Esme!

You know my niece always kept her 3 labs , well 2 labs and one lab mix , in crates all day while she worked and neither her husband or her kids would take care of the dogs.. they said they are "her dogs" I said SO WHAT!!!! I just hate to think of this and then my sister called me and told me she put Wilson (the mix) to sleep because she came home and let Wilson and the other out and Wilson attacked one of the others. I was IRATE!!!!!!! And I told her about it but good! I said you can't keep dogs that way to begin with and to make stay in crates all day and 1/2 the night is just cruel. I aid especially big dogs Tracy! I said they need lots of attention and walked daily for an hour at least. She said , "they have a big back yard" I said that is not enough, they need real excercise....Wilson was full of anxiety and needed to release it. . My sister said when they came in from outside they automatically went in the crates , but she would leave the door open while she was there. Well big whoop tee doo!!!! I didn't know she was keeping her dogs so poorly. SHe had 2 labs before and they were well taken care of ..... at least that was my belief..... I am just still really upset about that. I could have found that dog a home. I could not have taken him with Levi and Nyla still getting acquainted. My heart just sunk when my sister told that.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I was devastated when they told me she had lymphoma, I did not have chemo, told them I was taking her home and when she got sick we'd be back. Five weeks later I got up and she was all bloated and having a hard time to breathe, I took her in and was told she'd only last another day or two and she'd strangle herself. I didn't want that for her so I made the decision to put her down. She was so bonded to me that I promised her my face was the last thing she would see. I wouldn't leave her there to die among strangers. She died peacefully with her head in my lap. That dog never caught a break, she finally had a good life and she didn't live long enough to enjoy it. If there is an afterlife I hope that guy rots in hell where he belongs.
    I can relate to the devastation .... like you guys know already...... I wonder too if it isn't why I am so against another dog so soon. Plus why do people use the term "out down" I just hate that phrase. I like "put to sleep" better but, in reality neither phase is good. I guess "let go". might be better....heck who am I kidding non of them are good.

Linda you and I agree that karma came back and that scumbag probably suffered terribly which he rightly deserved. Molly ended her short life with you and that's what you hang on to...all the good you did for her and you made her final days count.

I like to think she was happy with me, at first she was terrified and wouldn't leave the crate, the crate was all she knew, I let her have the crate and left the door open, I pretty much ignored her, I'd talk to her and she scoot away so I left her alone, then she started peeking out of the crate to see what I was doing, and little by little she came out and soon she wasn't going in the crate at all. When she was more comfortable with me I took her to the vet to have her nails done and a checkup, other than being very underweight and having lyme disease she was ok. Then I started taking her in the woods, at first she'd sit beside me and not move then she started chasing sticks and playing. Then she got so bonded to me that I couldn't take her anywhere with me other than the woods, she'd get so nervous she'd throw up and have diarreah. One time I had the vet hold her lead while I went out to get something, she was so upset she pulled the vet and knocked her into the exam table. That was the only time someone else held her. She was most content to just lay at my feet and watch every move I made. She was smart but never really progressed much past that point. But she was my girl and I accepted her the way she was. She's been gone over 4 years and I still think about her and the terrible life she had, I hope living with me made up for some of it but she always carried the scars of her former life.

You were the perfect person for her Linda. Hearing how you took it slow, made her feel safe, showed her how to play, and loved her unconditionally...that's the life that you gave her and you made it so much better that's for sure. After all Molly went through it made sense that she was stuck to you like glue because she was smart and trusted you. You saved her and thank goodness you were the right person for her.

sometimes we just have to take things the way they are and do our best with what we have to work with. But it was so unfair for her to have the life she had then die at only 7 years old when she was enjoying her new life

That is true Linda.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    Must be a shepherd thing, my rescue didn't like it either but in time I was able to do hers. When I first got her she had been abused and neglected, her nails were more than an inch long, I didn't even attempt it, took her to the vet and had him do it. My vet was even appauled at her condition, she was bone thin, overgrown nails, she didn't even know how to bark, my other shepherd pretty much taught her how to be a dog. She had never seen a toy or been to play in the woods. I spent hours and hours with her just teaching her the fun things she could do with me. Then I lost her to cancer, much to soon, but her early life probably contributed to her poor health
    Oh Linda, that poor girl, such bad condition and treatment. You're so kind for helping her enjoy life like other dogs, so sorry you lost her to cancer, I'm sure it partly was due to poor nutrition and medical care in her younger years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.