playing tug with your dog

playing tug with your dog

The game of Tug has an undeserved bad rap in some training circles, while others, most notably the Agility world, have fully embraced it as an excellent activity to create focus and high arousal. Those two extremes aside, it's a great game just because it's fun, many dogs adore it, it's the perfect play activity for human family members who might otherwise want to get inappropriately physical with the dog and it's a terrific energy-burner.

One of the most commonly-heard myths about playing Tug is that it makes the dog "dominant." There's so much misinformation passed around about hierarchy in dogs - this is just another log on the fire. If you are concerned about what Tug might do to your relationship with your dog, just remember that the definition of leader is "the one who controls the good stuff," and orchestrate your Tug-play accordingly.

I'm solidly in the pro-Tug camp. I strongly recommend setting rules for canine and human players of the game to protect against the possibility of reinforcing unwanted behaviors, but with those in place, you and your dog can Tug to your hearts' content. The rules are general guidelines for making Tug a positive training/relationship experience. The calmer and better-behaved your dog is, the less necessary it is to follow them strictly. The more rowdy and out of control your dog, the more closely you will want to adhere to them. By the way, don't be alarmed by your dog's growls during tug - it's all part of the game. As long as his other behaviors are appropriate, let him growl his heart out!
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    The game of Tug has an undeserved bad rap in some training circles, while others, most notably the Agility world, have fully embraced it as an excellent activity to create focus and high arousal. Those two extremes aside, it's a great game just because it's fun, many dogs adore it, it's the perfect play activity for human family members who might otherwise want to get inappropriately physical with the dog and it's a terrific energy-burner.

One of the most commonly-heard myths about playing Tug is that it makes the dog "dominant." There's so much misinformation passed around about hierarchy in dogs - this is just another log on the fire. If you are concerned about what Tug might do to your relationship with your dog, just remember that the definition of leader is "the one who controls the good stuff," and orchestrate your Tug-play accordingly.

I'm solidly in the pro-Tug camp. I strongly recommend setting rules for canine and human players of the game to protect against the possibility of reinforcing unwanted behaviors, but with those in place, you and your dog can Tug to your hearts' content. The rules are general guidelines for making Tug a positive training/relationship experience. The calmer and better-behaved your dog is, the less necessary it is to follow them strictly. The more rowdy and out of control your dog, the more closely you will want to adhere to them. By the way, don't be alarmed by your dog's growls during tug - it's all part of the game. As long as his other behaviors are appropriate, let him growl his heart out!
    I am a believer of tug too Linda! If people are afraid to play with their dogs they just should not have them . They love tug! And it is good exercise for them and us!. All my dogs use to bring me their ropes and throw them in my lap and say ok I am ready to TUG! lol Levi would even try to tug with the cockatoo sometimes. Lol lol lol.

Thats what I call the "fierce game" I ask her if she wants to be fierce and she brings me the rope and the more I play with her and tell her to be fierce she growls and I grab her snout. She loves "being fierce"
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Oh yeah!!! Smokey Joe would do that too! Same thing! Levi did too but nothing like Smokey Joe! ANd those two together were a hoot to watch. A good game of Tug and they are good to go. All I had to do is tell Smokey Is "get your rope" and he would run for it! lol lol This is bringing back fond memories ...... and a few tears. I better give it a rest for now. But yeah I AM ALL FOR TUG!

http://www.petforums.com/showthread....ghlight=fierce

Vicky this is a picture I posted quite a while ago of Phoenix being fierce

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.