Cat Hates Wet Food And Fish

Cat Hates Wet Food And Fish

Jones has arthritis and pretty bad dandruff. She's supposed to eat more wet food and fish oil to help with the dandruff, but she actually hates wet food. The only way to get her to eat it is to microwave it for a few seconds, and even then she just kind of picks at it. I don't know if it's a texture thing, or what.

She's also supposed to have fish oil and/or fish, except she hates fish and she won't eat either of those. I even found a flavored paste, which she refuses to touch. She loved the Glucosamine For Pets capsules from Vitamin World - I would mix the powder into her wet food and she'd gobble it up. They changed to hard tablets, though, so that's no longer an option. I started giving her Happy Hips, which she loved, and then they changed the formula and she won't touch them now.

Has anyone had success with a glucosamine/MSM and/or fish oil supplement or treat for a cat who hates wet food and fish? Preferably something I might be able to find a sample of, because I don't want to waste money or have to return yet another thing to the store.

What about crushing the tablets and mixing them with water and then putting it on her food? Our cat will only eat certain types of wet food. He will not touch the loaf type food but gobbles up the canned food that is in slivers or bits. If it is the glucosamine that she likes what about getting some of that at a tack shop and trying some on her food. It comes in big quantities and they might be willing to let you try just a little sample of it.

Good luck. I know it is tough trying to get them to eat certain things.

Here's a liquid option for cats, if she won't take it on food, you can use a plastic eyedropper or syringe and give it like a liquid medication. http://www.entirelypets.com/jomaxlica.html. We used to get canned chicken from Costco, when we first got out cat, he loved it. Have you tried to see if she likes something like that?

For the dandruff, you can try to use extra virgin coconut oil, my cat will lick that and eat it just as it is, and my dog loves it. It also has many internal and external benefits for people, so you won't have to throw the jar in the trash if the cat doesn't like it. Another thing is light olive oil drizzled over the food.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, these are all really useful suggestions. I never thought of looking for glucosamine in a tack shop. I've tried the coconut oil thing, actually, and she won't eat coconut oil either. I tried rubbing it on her fur where her dandruff was the worst, but she hated that so I gave up. I actually cook with coconut oil when I can, I especially love to cook pancakes with it.

The liquid thing looks like it might be successful. I'm not sure about giving it like liquid medication... Jones is old and arthritic and a little, well, saggy, but when she doesn't want you to do something she suddenly has the strength of 5 tigers. Do you think I'd be able to just drizzle it over her dry food?

Quote Originally Posted by kittydancer View Post
    The liquid thing looks like it might be successful. I'm not sure about giving it like liquid medication... Jones is old and arthritic and a little, well, saggy, but when she doesn't want you to do something she suddenly has the strength of 5 tigers. Do you think I'd be able to just drizzle it over her dry food?
    Lol, I know what you mean! My kitten when we first got him had some issues and needed liquid meds. I wrapped him in a towel, making sure everything was covered except his head. Then my husband sat on a chair in front of me, and put the syringe in his mouth...got into a routine, and he was better with time. Of course a delicious treat for him afterwards, didn't want him to hate us. Putting it on the dry food would be fine as long as she likes the taste and eats it.

I don't know if there's a Vitamin Cottage store near you, but my cat looooves the Newman's Own organic beef and liver canned food. It's $1.25 for a tiny can, but he's spoiled now, it's the only canned he'll eat. She may like that food if you can get it.

Well, I figured out a trick. It kind of makes me feel like she's super spoiled, but whatever works! I microwave the food for 10-20 seconds and then she'll eat it. It's kept in the fridge - maybe the cold hurts her teeth or something. I also find she's more willing to eat it if I offer it to her at night rather than the morning or afternoon. She's old, maybe she has indigestion in the morning. Who knows what goes on in the brain of a cat?

Good tip! As they get old their teeth can be extra sensitive.

Hmm, I never would have thought wet food being an issue. Any cat I have ever had or heard of always preferred the soft foods. I learn so much on this site.

If this was a human I would tell them to smoke weed. Good for arthritis and hunger lol. Never heard of a cat not liking fish or wet food though lol.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.