10 Breeds Favored by Dog Thieves

10 Breeds Favored by Dog Thieves

1. The tiny Yorkshire Terrier is the most stolen breed in the U.S. according to the AKC. And here's why: Yorkies are a very popular breed; purebreds sell for thousands of dollars; and they are tiny and therefore portable, making them easy to steal.

1. Boston Terriers are a small, very popular breed. And they're known to be very social, so it's easy for dognappers to befriend them quickly and run off with them.

1. Chi's hold the unfortunate distinction of being the most-stolen breed in U.S. cities in recent years. Part of the Chihuahua's popularity stems from their role as celebrity "accessories." Their owners find them easy to bring along which also makes them easy to steal and conceal.

1. Frenchies are the third most frequently stolen dog in the U.S., thanks to their portable size and the breed's huge popularity.

1. Purebred German Shepherds command a high price. They are typically stolen and flipped as attack or fighting dogs.

1. Labradoodles are commonly referred to as "designer dogs." They are a cross between a Labrador Retriever and a Poodle (typically a standard size or miniature), a Lab and a 'Doodle, a Poodle and a 'Doodle, or two 'Doodles. Designer dogs are ve
    2. The Maltese breed is extremely popular with small dog lovers, expensive to buy, and just the right size for thieves to pop into a large purse or backpack and be on their way.

1. The Labrador Retriever is the most popular breed in the U.S. (for several years running). This makes them plentiful for stealing, and easy to sell.

1. Sadly, Pit Bulls are usually stolen for use in illegal dog baiting and dog fighting. Unlike smaller, less powerful dogs, many pitties spend a lot of time in the backyard, making them easy marks for thieves.
    2. Poms are popular, pricey, and their size makes them easily snatch-able.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I've heard a couple of stories of English Bulldog pups being stolen, I'd be furious if anyone stole my dog or cat, regardless of breed.

Our animals have to be protected, not only against theft but also sick twisted people that would hurt them. Like throw poison meat at them, or steal them to torture them. To much of this is going on and the penalties when they are caught is not enough. Even though I know Phoenix can take care of herself and it would take a professional to get her I still never leave her alone outside unattended. Her kennel is locked when she is outside and I believe a thief would go for an easier target than the bother it would take to get her but she is never out there for long and other than that she is inside with me.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Oh, that's a scary thought. I guess I had never really thought about my dog being stolen. I have a big old malamute that's pretty wary of vehicles. If they can fight him enough to get him into their car they probably deserve to steal him!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.