Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I need help with my puppy!

Quote Originally Posted by waltermax View Post
    why don't you go to a proffesional trainer? you won't lose anything
    A trainer would be fine , but they all need to be on the same page with this dog. It is already confused! So a trainer isn't really going to do much except add more confusion at this point. They all have to treat the dog the same. And know what they are doing.

We are planning on taking her to training as well. Thank you for your reply!

Ok so just now I went into the garage and found my beloved rooster dead and suspected the obvious. Mina (my dog) killed him. And to be honest I am not surprised at all. The issue is that the chicken keeps jumping over our fence and somehow wonders into the garage or my dog kills it on grass and takes it their, I am not sure. But we tried what we could do, wires and a fence.

I'm not building a 10 foot wall obviously for a little pet chicken to wonder in our garden. And yes we know it was the dog cause one time our chicken jumped over and apparently my dog was just playing with it like a toy, it just poked at it like she does with my cat. Thankfully, my chicken was fine and didn't have a scratch. But, I knew then something would happen like this.

Our previous GSD killed my other chicken cause he wanted to play with it, and wasn't intending to eat it. And yes when my dog killed my chicken today she didn't want the meat, just a little play. I'm wondering if those animal chew toys are a huge cause, and yes I know naturally dogs have prey drive and play differently then we humans do, (unless we happen to bite each other XD).

But I need to know what I need to do this point on, and how I can help to make sure my dog doesn't go after a skunk or even my cat! I'm not euthanizing my dog for something I should've prevented, but I want to make sure this will be the last time.

How could I punish her for what she has done in a way that she understands without me physically hitting her. And how can I make this a valuable lesson. Replys ASAP would help a lot! Thank you!

I'm not sure you can do anything to teach the dog unless you caught the dog in the act. You shouldn't punish the dog at all now, just learn from your mistake for the next time. My dogs in the past have killed squirrels in the back yard, but never had one hurt my cats, of course birds might be a different story. I had both of my Standard Schnauzers loose at a lake while we were fishing and a flock of ducks big and little were wandering around casually and my dogs didn't bother them at all.

Maybe introducing the dog to the rooster next time in a protected environment would help them get acquainted. Don't blame the chew toys, dogs, especially puppies need something to chew on while teething or just for play.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I'm not sure you can do anything to teach the dog unless you caught the dog in the act. You shouldn't punish the dog at all now, just learn from your mistake for the next time. My dogs in the past have killed squirrels in the back yard, but never had one hurt my cats, of course birds might be a different story. I had both of my Standard Schnauzers loose at a lake while we were fishing and a flock of ducks big and little were wandering around casually and my dogs didn't bother them at all.

Maybe introducing the dog to the rooster next time in a protected environment would help them get acquainted. Don't blame the chew toys, dogs, especially puppies need something to chew on while teething or just for play.
    Thank you for the replay! Yeah, it was hard when we lost our only chicken. And yes, we need to catch her in the act. However, my dog has been doing the same things like poking at my chicken and to my cat. I am very nervous, my cat can't be a danger. What's the best way for cats and dogs to get along? I know it's silly to ask well for the saying but I really get frustrated when my dog literally jumps over my cat and literally pokes at it. Though, I haven't seen her do so since she was a little puppy, but I don't want the same thing that happened to my chicken to be the same for my cat.

We've got her potty training stable but another big problem is her biting. We have given her those squeaky toys, bones, balls, and those chew toys, not to mention Kong. Yet, she only wants to play with her toys when we're around, and since our hands move, my dog just loves to bite. We've constantly told her no! And have walked away from her, screamed, and yet she still doesn't get it. We weren't really focused on training her these specific things when she was 2 months, but now she's almost 7 months! I really need help with this issue. We are scheduling for training classes but I want to know if it's something I can work at home.

You have to get the pup and cat together slowly and observe her with the cat. When she does something negative then discipline. It has to be repetitive. With patience , lots of patience . No screaming. You need to do that with all your animals she will encounter. It will be hard , but it must be done. Maybe you can look on line for a trainer that comes to your house , because I think that is the way you will have help getting her on the right track, with all concerns there on hand. Seems to be the logical way
    And I also want to say I did get a trainer to come to my home when we took Nyla Jane in..... She was never around dogs or anything else..so we did have a girl come here and trust e it works out way better!
    Last edited by lovemylittleboy; 01-21-2016 at 10:48 AM. Reason: adding a sentence

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your rooster and then it's coupled with your suspicion of your dog being the culprit. It's a bad situation and I understand your reluctance to have your dog and cat interact. I found these tips on Jackson Galaxy's website and I hope they help:
    #1 – Introduce Through a Door
    “It’s about territorial ownership,” Galaxy says. Bringing home a new cat and just ‘throwing’ him into your old cat’s territory is a great way to make him feel threatened. And when a predatory animal feels threatened, it fights. Instead, have a door separate them so they can smell each other but not see.
    #2 – Site Swapping
    “Frequently switch areas of the house where you are keeping your cats separated,” Galaxy says. This way they can smell each other.
    #3 – Feed Together
    Feed both cats on either side of the door at the same time. No free-feeding, Galaxy advises. This gives the cats a positive association (through food) of the other cat. Give them 3’ on each side of the door. If you see an aggressive behavior, place food further from the doors.
    #4 – Coming Together
    Start gradually moving the bowls closer to the doors, as the cats get more comfortable with each other’s presence. It must be done gradually, keeping kitties comfortable the entire time.
    #5 – Visual Introduction
    Next, you will want to graduate to a baby gate, draped with a towel, Galaxy says. The towel is there so you can slowly add visual “stimulation” for the cats. Do this by raising the towel by just half inch. And then slowly raising it as the cats are comfortable.
    #6 – Eat, Play, Love
    Put cats in the same room, but have them interacting, play, eating, and attention with separate people and ignoring each other. “I just want them to ignore one another, that’s the object of the game,” he says. End before the cats notice each other and on a POSITIVE note.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by lovemylittleboy View Post
    You have to get the pup and cat together slowly and observe her with the cat. When she does something negative then discipline. It has to be repetitive. With patience , lots of patience . No screaming. You need to do that with all your animals she will encounter. It will be hard , but it must be done. Maybe you can look on line for a trainer that comes to your house , because I think that is the way you will have help getting her on the right track, with all concerns there on hand. Seems to be the logical way
    And I also want to say I did get a trainer to come to my home when we took Nyla Jane in..... She was never around dogs or anything else..so we did have a girl come here and trust e it works out way better!
    Thank you for replying as well! But I am a little confused on how I can discipline her when she's making my cat uncomfortable.

Thank you so much! I love this detailed and so helpful reply. I will try these steps and we are scheduling appointments with a trainer. I've looked across the Internet and this is probably the most helpful links. And to all who replied thank you so much, I will do everything all of you said. And without this fourm page, it would be so much harder to get along with my dog. I love her so much and I only want our companionship to be better. I will keep updated with me and my loving dog and will post frequently. Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that you lost your rooster and then it's coupled with your suspicion of your dog being the culprit. It's a bad situation and I understand your reluctance to have your dog and cat interact. I found these tips on Jackson Galaxy's website and I hope they help:
    #1 – Introduce Through a Door
    “It’s about territorial ownership,” Galaxy says. Bringing home a new cat and just ‘throwing’ him into your old cat’s territory is a great way to make him feel threatened. And when a predatory animal feels threatened, it fights. Instead, have a door separate them so they can smell each other but not see.
    #2 – Site Swapping
    “Frequently switch areas of the house where you are keeping your cats separated,” Galaxy says. This way they can smell each other.
    #3 – Feed Together
    Feed both cats on either side of the door at the same time. No free-feeding, Galaxy advises. This gives the cats a positive association (through food) of the other cat. Give them 3’ on each side of the door. If you see an aggressive behavior, place food further from the doors.
    #4 – Coming Together
    Start gradually moving the bowls closer to the doors, as the cats get more comfortable with each other’s presence. It must be done gradually, keeping kitties comfortable the entire time.
    #5 – Visual Introduction
    Next, you will want to graduate to a baby gate, draped with a towel, Galaxy says. The towel is there so you can slowly add visual “stimulation” for the cats. Do this by raising the towel by just half inch. And then slowly raising it as the cats are comfortable.
    #6 – Eat, Play, Love
    Put cats in the same room, but have them interacting, play, eating, and attention with separate people and ignoring each other. “I just want them to ignore one another, that’s the object of the game,” he says. End before the cats notice each other and on a POSITIVE note.

Thank you so much! I love this detailed and so helpful reply. I will try these steps and we are scheduling appointments with a trainer. I've looked across the Internet and this is probably the most helpful links. And to all who replied thank you so much, I will do everything all of you said. And without this fourm page, it would be so much harder to get along with my dog. I love her so much and I only want our companionship to be better. I will keep updated with me and my loving dog and will post frequently. Thank you all!

I just hope some of these tips work...I hope everything works out okay. And I'm no expert but I truly love all animals so this forum is perfect! I feel I learn something new everyday from everyone here. This is a great support system and we all try to help each other out. Keep us posted and take care.

In re-reading your original thread I would really think you would listen to Linda and Alpha1. They both offered you solutions and I believe you should review it again. You and your family need to work together and get this dog trained so things don't get worse and you lose your dog completely...no one wants that to happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.