Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buddys story

Buddys story

About Buddy
    He was a neglected dog we rescued at 3 years of age. We tried to show him a better life.
    He loved going "bye bye" (a ride in the car), loved biscuits, being brushed, and making a variety of snort and horse type noises.
    It was very endearing. He was generally healthy until Jan of 2015 , suffering from a bout of pancreatitis. We were told by our vet to try changing his diet,
    low fat and low protein, so we did right away, cleaned out all our cuppards, and replaced his stuff to a prescription diet. We would alternate that with chicken and rice
    as well.
    He seemed to improve, and things went back to normal. We didnt see any thing odd until about 3 weeks ago, which was some weight loss, (as we expected from his better diet),
    and some occasional vomiting and extreme thirst. Then a few days before Halloween, these sypmptoms tripled.
    We immediately got him to the vet, and I wish more than anything that we had taken him to our normal vet, but they happened to be closed, and we felt that would
    jeopordize his health even more so by waiting an extra day and a half to get him seen.
    So thats when we made the fateful choice of taking him to Valencia Veterinary Center: 24/7 Veterinary Hospital in Santa Clarita.

About Valencia Veterinary Center: 24/7 Veterinary Hospital in Santa Clarita:
    It is obviously very convienent if you have a emergency during any hour of night or day, but that is were the convienence ends.
    We admitted our dog on Halloween with an acute pancreatitis attack, with some beginnings of renal disease and onset of ketoacidosis.
    After our initial consultation, they said they were going to give him IV fluids, bloodwork, and monitoring as one would expect.
    We spoke the next day, and it was then mentioned he had diabetes. I wasnt too surprised, and was researching about what to expect and how to care for a diabetic dog, for
    his recovery once he was released.
    So initially, we were quoted just under 300 dollars for every day he was there, and that was only supposed to be until monday.
    But that changed to roughly 1,000 dollars per day.
    We werent thrilled, but did so thinking that they were hard at work making him better. We found out on monday that not only was he not being released yet, but that he was getting WORSE.
    I am not a doctor obviously, but I DO know that there was something wrong with that scenario. Now, he had more things to contend with for one reason only: they FAILED to manage his intial
    problem, which therefore causes complications. That is mind blowing to me, because pancreatitis is bad, but not commonly fatal. if its left untreated it is. And thats what happened.
    I dont know if they are unobservant, lazy, or uninterested, but let me say, any ONE of those things is NOT a good quality to entertain in a proffession that involves emergencies .
    All this time we thought he was getting the critical care and TREATMENT that he needed.
    As our visits confirmed, he was basically on the FLOOR in a room not being attended to. And when the very occassional attendant would come in, our poor dog would react
    like a desperate fish, flopping around as some sort of defense mechanism. In all the years I have known Buddy, he has NEVER acted like that. But the Warden
    otherwise known as Dr. Caruso coldy stated that he is a "grumpy" dog, and it wasnt hurting him.....!! OH REALLY
    Since no one there apparently seemed interested in helping him, I did some reasearch about his condition, and was horrified to see that there were plenty of things that could be done, one
    primarily being surgery. They should have removed the pancreas altogether, which would have prevented this from occuring again, not to mention, they could have removed the absess it had created.

From the VERY BEGINNING, they should have had him on antibiotics,. and AGGRESIVELY; because now he had sepsis, a very potentially fatal bacteria in the blood.
    He also developed renal failure, which is funny, since he supposedly was being administered fluids to hydrate him. Then he gets the the uneeded coup de grâce
    (A deathblow delivered to end the misery of a mortally wounded victim.) which was DIC, which is a blod clotting issue and leads to spontaneous hemmorhaging.

I am deeply hurt and quite angry that they did so little to benefit him, and to show their professionalism at its best, they quit altogether and said he was going to be put down.
    As if its their choice. Wrong.
    We literally had to jailbreak our poor dog from certain and untimely death on wed., Nov. 4. We werent even out the door, before they then became very innappropriate
    and were interupting us every chance they had, saying that he should be creamted, where shall we send the ashes, because "thats what we do with all the dogs".
    I think Cruella De Ville must run that place.
    If your pet is in an event like getting hit by car, or getting a trauma, i guess they could take care of it. if you had nothing else open. But something that is regarding internal medicine, or
    things that require CARE and dedication, not to mention a heart, I really would take your beloved pet elsewhere, .
    Due to the actions (lack of ) of that terrible place, we attempted to get him actually treated, by taking him to his usual vet. We made a strectcher for him and got him on his way there. They were a better place and they tried valiantly. Unfortunately, it was too late and the damage was irreversible.
    we had to let him go the next day. it hasnt been the same without him

how is he doing now?
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I can type it but It,but I have trouble saying it.We lost him Nov. 6 I am so down.

I'm so sorry you lost your boy. I know how you feel, I lost one of my shepherds to cancer and my bengal cat to cancer also. Its never easy and will take quite a while for you to feel better about it. He is with you in spirit and your memories. My sympathies to you and your family.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Oh my gosh...hearing your traumatic story made me cry at first and then made me angry at the Valencia Clinic for allowing this to happen to Buddy. My deepest sympathy on the loss of your furry baby. When you entrust a doctor and a facility to handle your animals care and they break that trust and allow tragedy to happen is an atrocity. I'm glad you were able to break him out of that place and believe me you tried your best to get him help...it was the so called professionals who let you all down...not you. Once again I am so sorry for your loss. This forum is a great support system and we are here for you.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Here's a thought...you can use social media to share your heartbreaking story about Buddy and maybe avert another tragedy from happening.

Oh I can't read the story Esme after reading your comment...well up to the point of saying loss of the furry baby. With the mood I am in I really better not. But I am sorry too for what ever happened. I can't stand it

Two weeks ago tonight to night we lost him.My house does not seam like my home any more.Your compassion and kind words truly mean alot

Its one of the hardest thing we'll ever do to have our beloved pet put down. We have all been there and we understand. Your boy is now sleeping in your heart, enjoy the memories you have of him and in time the pain will lessen. Come here anytime, we are a great support group as we all know what you are going through

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Brickle View Post
    Two weeks ago tonight to night we lost him.My house does not seam like my home any more.Your compassion and kind words truly mean alot
    I am terribly sorry. My heart is going out to you . My home is still empty too.

We have all been there and the mourning period sometimes never seems to end. You did your best...Buddy I'm sure knew that and felt your love. It rips your heart out but he couldn't suffer and you have to believe Buddy will be in your heart forever.

I'm so sorry to hear about Buddy - that's utterly shocking! Is there some kind of consumer protection / ombudsman over there that you can report them to? I agree with Esme RE: social media - you might be able to prevent this from happening to somebody else's baby. My heart goes out to you

My sympathy for your loss.

Follow up on Buddys story

If Buddy could have only talked this could be a very happy Thanks giving.He would of said (why are we going to this vet.Lets go to the one I m comfortable with.I have a real miss trust for this one)His regular vet was closed.He paid with his life,I paid with my heart.'''You must think ahead and have a plan B,if you can not get into your regular vet.Have a vet already chosen that you have done the back ground work on and know is good.There are to many bad vets out there to just randomly pick one.Save a life,save your heart,be SMART,,.

I feel so bad for you and holidays are rougher when you miss your beloved furry baby. You have to stop blaming yourself and beating yourself up (believe me I've been then) but I know it will take time to heal. You did what you thought was right and unfortunately Buddy can't be with you in body but he will be in your heart forever. I've read a few blogs and facebook pages dedicated to animals who passed because of vet incompetence and it's sad how many are out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.