Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much walking is too much for a dog?

How much walking is too much for a dog?

I have a 2-3 year-old beagle/basset hound mix. She's probably closer to two-years-old. She is energetic and loves to run, lis very strong, and loves to pull us around -- we have not trained her properly to heel and are working on this. My kids often take her for a run around our one-mile loop in our neighborhood and sometimes my 15-year-old son runs her while he is on his skateboard. We adopted her from humane society. Heeling is the hardest thing to do with our dog and I think many dogs. She is energetic when outside and is young and healthy but she also sleeps a lot, I think that comes with the breed.

Anyway, my question.

Today I want to walk her in an area where we will walk 3-4 miles. Is this too much for a dog? She's short with basset legs and a beagle head. My intuition says no, that she's a dog and very strong. I will bring water and her dish and we will take breaks and I will watch for signs of fatigue. Any advice? I did not grow up with dogs and am a somewhat inexperienced dog owner. I think this is probably a no-brainer question but wanted to ask more experienced dog owners what is a safe distance for a dog to walk and run?

If she stops walking and either lays down or just sits there she's had enough. Short breaks are fine to do, give her a chance to rest a bit. If she gets to tired before the walk is over then you know its to much, as long as she's walking she's fine
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Build up to long long distances, just don't go a long way right off. But Yeah she will be fine as long as she is enjoying the walk. Taking water is very good. Please don't use choker collars. Those are just plain cruel. But what is worse are those stupid ones with the prongs. (senior moment can't think of the name) But for the breed she (mix) that she is, go with the most dominate side of her. If she is more beagle then she will need lots of activity , if basset they are more laid back but still demand walks and are satisfied with being played with with toys. Beagles also demand walks and extra activity. ( they are nicknamed bunny runners for a reason! lol) They love to run. You van make your own agility set up if your yard is big enough. It don't have to be huge. Beagles get bored and will dig . So just keep her entertained!

Welcome to the forum No worries about asking what you think are no brainer questions because we're all here to help each other. I've had cats for the last 26 years but I love dogs too. What is your girl's name?
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    If she stops walking and either lays down or just sits there she's had enough. Short breaks are fine to do, give her a chance to rest a bit. If she gets to tired before the walk is over then you know its to much, as long as she's walking she's fine
    I agree ! I saw some people walking 2 dogs at the park one day and one of the poor dogs tongue was hanging way out of it mouth and the dog kept lying down on the ground. I wanted
    to say something to the people but I was warned by an ACO to be careful saying anything to a dog owner it could be risky to me. That dog was dead beaten it could hardly walk anymore , it looked
    like an older dog. I also think it depend on where you're walking the dog , if is really hot out and you're walking on a hot sidewalk and have no water for your dog the walk should be short .

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
    I agree ! I saw some people walking 2 dogs at the park one day and one of the poor dogs tongue was hanging way out of it mouth and the dog kept lying down on the ground. I wanted
    to say something to the people but I was warned by an ACO to be careful saying anything to a dog owner it could be risky to me. That dog was dead beaten it could hardly walk anymore , it looked
    like an older dog. I also think it depend on where you're walking the dog , if is really hot out and you're walking on a hot sidewalk and have no water for your dog the walk should be short .
    Some people have no brains. Why would they do that to a dog.

Thank you for the replies.

My dog's name is Daisy. She is a lovely dog. Here is a pic of her: http://imgur.com/e7Vxfrs

When we first got her our vet warned us that she might not be with us for long because she snapped at my younger son. On day two of having her, he got in her face when she was half-sleeping and she bit him in the lip. A small cut but it was still alarming. He was upset, as was I, and we didn't know what to do because she is such a sweet dog, the majority of the time. She has this kind of behavior where she can be wagging her tail and appear so happy but at the drop of the hat, she can snap and get growly. She has warmed to the kids, especially the youngest because he is very gentle and respects her boundaries and doesn't torment her like my oldest can. I would never tolerate any prolonged tormenting but he is fifteen and can push her a little too far. My vet encouraged us to get a trainer for her. She also recommended that we give her away to a home without kids if she continued to be aggressive. So far, so good. She has learned her place in the house so to speak. She is peaceful and well-behaved 99% of the time and she is a good listener and smart.

When we adopted her from the local humane society it looked like she wasn't eating for some time. The humane society did the routine sterilization surgery on her but it was unnecessary because she was previously spayed. So they opened her up for nothing. Honest mistake I suppose.

When we got her home my husband and I were discussing that she must be somebody's dog and they must be missing her. I looked up her mix and it's called a "Bagle" mix. It seems that this mix of Beagle and Basset Hound is somewhat popular and people are breeding and purchasing this mix. She was fixed, she was young, she was a "Bagle", and she was found with a collar, no tags. All signs pointed to this was once a wanted dog.

Animal control informed us of the neighborhood/intersection where she was found. We drove to this neighborhood in the city in our county where she was found. We drove all over the neighborhood searching for Missing Dog signs. We found some, but not our dog. We looked in the local PennySaver. We posted a notice on Craigslist and Facebook. I searched Craigslist for missing dog ads. We tried to reunite this dog with its owners but had no luck. At the end we pretty much determined that if someone was looking for this dog they would have called the humane society. The neighborhood where she was found had a lot of foreclosures. Maybe she was left behind. So, she's our dog and we have had her for almost two years.

The walk today was very successful. We went to two parks. One was a half-mile walk and the other was probably a mile and a half. I was anticipating walking longer but dogs are not allowed past a certain point unless early morning or one hour before sunset. We had a nice walk on the dog beach. We saw many dolphins and we saw quite a show when a dolphin leaped out of the water three times. I was so impressed and I have seen dolphins all of my life. The kids were not as impressed! :-)

20151128_190758.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Reester View Post
    Today I want to walk her in an area where we will walk 3-4 miles. Is this too much for a dog? She's short with basset legs and a beagle head. My intuition says no, that she's a dog and very strong. I will bring water and her dish and we will take breaks and I will watch for signs of fatigue. Any advice? I did not grow up with dogs and am a somewhat inexperienced dog owner. I think this is probably a no-brainer question but wanted to ask more experienced dog owners what is a safe distance for a dog to walk and run?
    I would say that a 3+ mile walk for any dog is a pretty good distance. It's good that you take breaks and bring water, that's a must. There are hunting dogs that will run for miles, but that is not typical of all breeds. Another thing to consider is if the sun is out and if the weather is warm, that fatigues all dogs.

Any short legged dogs will be less able to go for long walks, especially runs, like dogs with average size legs. Even if the dog is healthy and strong, they depend on us to use common sense and limit their physical activity when needed. Basset Hounds have some joint issues also, even if its a mix.

My Standard Schnauzer who was a pretty large dog (high 60 lbs.) and had long legs, would need a break and water for a 3 1/2 mile walk. Best to monitor their breathing, how well their keeping up, and if they seem stressed. I'm just starting to take my puppy on walks, as Linda said, if they want to lie down in the shade, they're tiring and have had enough...best not to push them if you care about them...and all owners should. BTW, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the replies. We went for a walk today and it was success. We walked a half mile at one park and the other park, 1.5 miles. I wanted to go longer but dogs were only allowed in a certain section unless before 10am or one hour before sunset. We had a good time. She was fine. We brought water and she had a blast. My dog's name is Daisy and she is a lovely dog. We love her to bits. I had a longer reply but it is awaiting moderation. Thank you again for the helpful replies.

Daisy is a beautiful dog, nice photo!

Thank you for sharing how you got Daisy and it sounds like she had a rough start with a second surgery like that. How are her eating habits now? That is a great photo and she looks so comfortable and laid back. But yes she is yours 100% and I know she will bring you joy.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Daisy looks like great dog. And since she is just new..... my goodness don't let your son in her face, especially while resting!!! She has to get use to her new home and environment and most of all , all of you. Dogs don't like people in their face especially if they are resting and eating

Yes, of course. Kid in dog's face not good idea. That was when we first got her, about two years ago. Daisy is eating well, no problems. Just was underweight when we got her. She is healthy now. Vet says weight right on target. She eats dry dog food and we give her cooked protein when we make it for dinner -- chicken breast, steak, etc. Have good day everyone and enjoy your pets! :-) Thanks again for replies on guidelines on walking.

cooking kills the nutrients in the meat, if you want to give her meat give it to her raw
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

if your dog takes breaks on its own then it is time to go home since he/she had enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.