Daisy's first day of school!

Daisy's first day of school!

Last night our puppy Daisy had her first puppy training class. She has not socialized at all since she just finished her last shots so seeing all the other puppies was an absolute thrill for her. She was very excited! I've trained her some at home and she does great but she has never had to listen to commands with 12 puppy distractions.

I would say she did pretty well for her first class. They worked mainly on "leave it" which I have worked with her at home on. I worked more with her on that today.

I'm so glad she is in this class. She really needs to be able to socialize AND learn to mind.

Training classes like that are so beneficial in addition to home learning, like you say, all the distractions. I had a puppy that I showed a few times in dog shows, decided that wasn't my thing, didn't have the money or time to invest.

Anyway, I took him to local obedience classes and conformation classes. He had to sit and stay, while numerous strangers walked up to him and 'examined' him, stroking, etc. It's amazing what they can learn to deal with if taught.

Hoping Daisy can be a special therapy doggie someday!

She has a ways to go but she catches on pretty fast. When she gets super excited she loves to jump on people. After class last night the instructor was talking to us and working a little bit with Daisy. Daisy tried jumping on her and she squirted her in the face with a little bottle of water. She did it twice and then Daisy would only go up to her and sit in front of her.

Today she hasn't done any jumping. I don't know if it is just a coincidence and she is waiting for tonight to do some jumping or if she really learned not to jump. I'm keeping my fingers crossed ...but I now have a squirt bottle handy.

It may take a reminder squirt or two, before she stops doing it completely...but water squirts are effective, I use it with a fine spray when my cat forgets his counter and table manners. I've heard of some people using an empty 2 liter soda bottle to give their dogs a gentle bop on the head to discourage jumping too.

I don't know why but that is just really funny about your cat and his counter and table manners . Got a nice chuckle out of that. I hadn't heard of the empty plastic bottle but I have used before with one of my dogs an empty soda can with some coins in it. I would shake it and make a loud noise when she was doing something forbidden. I guess anything to startle them. But I think I like the spray bottle best. Glad to know it works on your cat too.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.