Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why is this cat acting so strange?

Why is this cat acting so strange?

So I live out in the country, and my family got a Calico kitten while I was at school named Scratch, and since I've been back, she seems to have gotten very comfortable with me. Every time I go outside, she comes up to me, meows, walks around my ankles, and then climbs onto my foot, and just sits there. Every time I try to walk, she just hangs onto my foot and moves with me, or she gets off that foot and climbs onto the other. Sometimes when I try to shake her off, she just clings on even more, and starts to act like she's going to climb my leg.

As adorable and curious as this behavior sounds, It's not what I'm concerned about.

Recently, another cat has started to show up, a Calico Tabby, from the looks of it. It often sleeps in the trash pile behind my family's house during the day, and at night, it comes out and eats the kitten's food, as I have observed when hanging outside at night one time. Whenever it see me, it starts to meow loudly and almost like it wants attention, and it constantly rubs itself against things, and rolls on the ground, and run circles around me and tries to run back and forth along side me when I walk, and sometimes quickly runs up to me, and then runs back really fast. Yet, when I try to put my hand out to let it smell it or so I can pet it, it doesn't get close.

However, whenever Scratch sees it, she watches it carefully, and often hunches up and hisses if the stray Calico Tabby gets too close. I think it hisses back at Scratch as well, and all of this goes on while she's sitting on my foot, which I don't like, even though I know the kitten doesn't know any better. After I went back inside and closed the screen door, I noticed that the two just sort of sat there and stared at each other for I don't know how long.

I'm honestly a little worried about Scratch's safety, and I would love to bring her inside, but my family doesn't like cats inside due to some issues they had in the past with inside cats.. I thought at first it might be a tom cat that's taken an interest in her, but I thought I remember there being a rule where if a cat has more than two colors, it's usually a female, but I don't know how true that is. If it's a rival cat, I don't want it hurting Scratch, and I really don't care for another cat at the moment.

What does this stray's behavior sound like?

Is Scratch spayed? If not I would suggest you take her to the vet and spay her, as the other loose cats will want to mate with her and she'll be pregnant with more outdoor kittens who must fend for themselves. I think she wants affection and to be indoors and part of the family. See if you can get someone to consider letting her inside, that would be best. It's not fair to the kitten or healthy for her if other cats are eating her food or drinking her water.

I agree with Alpha, get her spayed. Cats should not be left outside, to many things can happen to them. They can be eaten by other wild animals, hit by cars, tortured by twisted people looking for something to hurt. If you can't get your parents to let her in then give her to someone else than can. The kitten is defenseless she need to be protected. As far as the other cat it probably is female but NOTHING fights like two females. This stray just wants a home and someone to love and take care of her. Least you can do is give her food and water. Try to get her to trust you and once you do that find her a good home. Two cats is no more than one to take care of. Have a heart, the little girl is probably hungry and to young to be on her own. Give her a chance and give scratch a chance also, if you don't bring her inside she may not live to grow up
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'll try to see if my parents will let Scratch inside, but If I can't, I'm not sure if I can find a home for her. We live out in the country, and because of my circumstances, I don't think I can take Scratch anywhere. I could try to see if some neighbors would take her in, but I don't think my parents would agree to or appreciate me me trying to take her away, especially without their permission.

If nothing else works, I will at least try to make sure Scratch and the Stray are as comfortable as possible by giving them a dry place to sleep, and food for the stray while I'm back home. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the Stray.

Welcome to the forum Lee. Both Alpha and Linda offer good advice. Having a discussion with your mom or dad about getting Scratch fixed and keeping her inside is a step in the right direction. She needs you as an advocate for her. Also feeding and providing shelter for your stray cat is the way to go. Good luck and keep us posted.

I've seen this behaviour before its usually a pet cat that's had a good home and somehow lost its owner or home and it's gone feral and it's trying to tell you its friendly and needs a home it's just scared to come closer ,its definately not a 100 % feral. It's been a house cat at some point.

First of all, welcome to the forum Lee. Thank you for jo/ining us. Second, don't think cats are acting weird when they do normal cat things. Cats are mysterious creatures for a reason, but they also have unique purrsonalities.

I guarantee the stray is a girl. Calicos and tortoiseshells, both with and without tabby markings, are almost always female. It is not necessarily having three colors (brown tabby and white cats are often male), but the comibination of orange and black fur (including gray and peach) that rarely occurs in tomcats.

I understand not getting what you want because of your parents. What I cannot understand is why they would think it is so bad to make Scratch an indoor cat. We can help you better if you explain their specific objections to keeping a cat indoors 24/7. I can list many more reasons than Linda did and all of us can offer solutions for you to discuss with your parents. In a worst-caxe scenario, however, it is true Scratch should get a new home. So should the other calico whether she already has a home or not, but you should try to figure out if she really is a stray. She may just be an outside cat like yours.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by tatty twee View Post
    I've seen this behaviour before its usually a pet cat that's had a good home and somehow lost its owner or home and it's gone feral and it's trying to tell you its friendly and needs a home it's just scared to come closer. It's definately not a 100% feral. It's been a house cat at some point.
    Cats do not become feral. You are describing a stray cat. Feral means the cat was born wild, always lived in the wild, and fears humans.

Hey you I'm not stupid I know what feral is don't try preaching to me

Quote Originally Posted by tatty twee View Post
    Hey you I'm not stupid I know what feral is don't try preaching to me
    Obviously you don't know the difference between a feral and a stray.

Welcome to the forum

given time and when it learn to feed and take care of itself a stray will become feral.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Sounds like the newcomer has come up for the food. I agree with the others, that Scratch should be fixed and taken indoors. Where there is one stray cat, believe me there are more, and the food outside will keep bringing them. When you don't get them fixed they will have kittens and the cycle will continue. I know all of this too well from a mistake I made in my teens and that I ended up fixing later that took time and work. Please save yourself and your folks the heartache from having a small colony of feral cats about.

Spaying is not just good for preventing Scratch from getting pregnant. Because three organs are removed the risks of getting several types of cancer and other diseases are immediately eliminated. She also would never want to fight with another queen over the right to mate an unneutered tomcat, meow like she is in pain, or roam for a mate off your property.

only a couple more weeks to go and Sandy will be spayed, just hope she doesn't come into heat before then. If she does she will go immediately to be spayed. No babies here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.