Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Family member neglects dog

Family member neglects dog

Hello there, I'm seeking advice on what to do. My aunt and uncle have a dog she's about 13 years old now but since my aunt and uncle have been together (7-8 years) they have not once taken her to the vet... it was my aunts dog so who knows how long before that. Often I find her nails are growing into her foot pads, she's been limping for a long time now, she's becoming increasingly aggressive, her teeth have been rotting out of her mouth for years now. A few of them are completely pointing straight out of her mouth, her breath is horrid and she chokes a lot. They seem to think the dog is fine but I cannot stand to see this dog suffer like this. It isn't fair and I can't sit by and do nothing anymore. They can afford all this frivolous stuff but when it comes to vet care "they can't afford it". I am thinking about calling the SPCA, although it will be hard because they are my family but I think they should have to face consequences for being so selfish. Any advice?

It's great that you want to intervene on behalf of this dog whose care is obviously being neglected. If I were you I would sit down with the aunt and uncle and tell them that I am taking this dog to the vet and they will be footing the bill. Dumping this animal on the SPCA may mean that this dog will be put down. You have a chance to save this animal so please do it. Keep us posted.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I agree with esme, talk to your aunt and tell her in no uncertain terms that this dog needs care and if she doesn't get it you will call the aspca or authorities and they will be facing criminal charges for animal abuse. That dog should not have to suffer because of them and their refusal to do right by the dog. Then you MUST follow through, no idle threats, give them three days to make and keep an apt with the vet or face the consequences. And if the dog is put down she may be better off than living in pain with people who care more about themselves and their money than the dog. They don't deserve her anyway. And by you saying nothing is condoning their behavior, family or not they need to take responsibility for their actions. To say nothing and do nothing changes nothing.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Knowing and not acting is the same as not knowing.

-Japanese proverb

I completely agree with Esme, first it's a good idea to try to reason with your aunt about the pain the dog's having and the dog's overall health and well being. I figure the worse case scenario is that they themselves bring the dog in just to have it euthanized. As already mentioned, if the authorities come and take the dog, at that age they might put it down immediately anyway.

The only way to get through to people like this are to make them feel guilty about what they're doing, or make them start to feel sorry for the dog. In a perfect world, an animal loving neighbor or friend would adopt the dog and make her last years a bit of heaven, but that won't happen.

What can't happen is the dog stay in this condition with them, it needs medical care ASAP. You're an angel to care so much, we need more people like you on this earth, good luck and please keep us updated. If the dog is cared for and gets healthy and out of pain, she will love you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Knowing and not acting is the same as not knowing.

-Japanese proverb
    Except for the guilty conscience that haunts forever.

you aren't going to guilt them into anything, If they had any conscience at all they'd already know the dog is in bad condition and just don't care. they should be charged with animal cruelty and never allowed to own anything else again. I have no patience with people like this, there is no excuse for not taking care of that dog. Selfish, inconsiderate people is what they are and should be made to pay for what they are doing.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

For those of you saying that I am just as guilty for not saying anything. Something has been said, my mother told my uncle that she looks like she is in pain and he got angry with her and did he nothing. My nana tells them that she doesn't look good either. And this has been going on since I was a bit younger, and I didn't think there was much I could do, now that I am older I feel that I can take action and help this dog. My aunt and uncle are horrible, selfish people, not just to animals but to each other and other family members. I'm beginning not to care what they think of me.

Maybe other's have said something to them but obviously never followed through. Who cares what they say or do, this dog has to come first. Their feelings, if they have any, are not important at this point. And I haven't changed my mind about anything, the adults in your family knew what was going on and they did nothing either. You may be able to justify this behavior in your mind but there is no justification for this situation.

Auntie and uncle may be abusive to each other but they can take care of themselves. The dog is at their mercy. Think about it then make the call.

We all agree that this dog is more important than anything else. Lunacat you care enough to post on this forum and I believe that you care enough to save this dog.

I had no doubts on making the call. I just wanted others opinions as well. We have tried to say things about her health to them, and they didn't care. I believe they should be charged for what they've done to that dog. It isn't fair and I want to see justice. I don't want them to get away with being selfish this time, like they always do.

I will be making the call anonymously, they live in an apartment so I will call and act like I live in the same building. If I have to say it was me for some reason, I will. As bad as it sounds I have no respect for my aunt and uncle and they can hate me all they want.

Many years ago my mother-in-law lived a couple of houses down from a neighbor who neglected his dog. She went over, knocked on the door and said "Since you don't give a darn about your dog I'm taking her in and I will be responsible for her. End of story!" She took control of the situation and that dog was so grateful for caring and she loved my mother-in-law for it until her last day on earth.

now's your chance to right the wrong that's been done to the dog. Call the police, get them charged, then sit back and watch them squirm. They deserve it

Are you able to take this dog? Being 13 and ending up in a shelter is heartbreaking.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.