Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Family member neglects dog

I used to watch the dog at my house when they went away. She used to love it. I would brush her, and play with her and she would stay by my side. Now she's in such bad shape that she has become aggressive. I tried to pet her on Christmas and she freaked out like she didn't know who I was and bit me (although it didn't hurt because of the teeth situation).

anyplace is better than where she is now. A shelter she would at least get some care, and being put down is better than living in pain and with those idiots she lives with now
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Knowing and not acting is the same as not knowing.

-Japanese proverb
    Apologies if this was interpreted as criticism. It isn't meant so. Rather as motivation and inspiration.

You call the authorities just like everyone says! Esme and Linda Alpha and Dog Force One are all right!!! You will probably not change their minds or make them feel guilty. The dog is getting nippy cause she is in so much pain!!!! She limps cause the nails are growing into her pads and her teeth are rotten and who knows what else!!!!!
    Is it at all possible for you to take the poor dog? she has suffered long enough!

Knowing and not acting is the same as not knowing.

-Japanese proverb
    That is right Dog Force One!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacat View Post
    I used to watch the dog at my house when they went away. She used to love it. I would brush her, and play with her and she would stay by my side. Now she's in such bad shape that she has become aggressive. I tried to pet her on Christmas and she freaked out like she didn't know who I was and bit me (although it didn't hurt because of the teeth situation).
    Hi Lunacat-

The aggressiveness is in all likelihood transitory and based on her current situation. As you can imagine, a dog in a very bad situation responds the way people naturally respond in a very bad situation, i.e. often in the wrong way. My dear rescue dog used to be aggressive to my partner after first arriving. Now he absolutely adores him. Please don't sort of write off the dog as "gone aggressive", because once the dog is out of that situation that will change rapidly.

Lunacat, can you adopt this dog? Can you? I don't know your living situation, but even if it isn't ideal, it would certainly be a huge improvement over her current plight. And if she knew you before, she will be able to tap into that and recover more quickly when she is not surrounded by the current hellish situation.

Many times in life I think "Someone needs to do something! Someone needs to do something!" Then I realize... that I am that someone. Shelters are great, but there ain't no shelter gonna provide the personal TLC that you have for this dog.

Please think about it. And think some more. If there seem to be issues with the idea of you adopting the dog, shout them out here and maybe someone has some ideas for workarounds.

This dog is in your story. You are in hers. Write your story. Enable the dog to write a new chapter in hers. Don't let circumstance or other people write your stories.

Make your miracle. Design your destiny.

May the dog be with you.

DF

I had no doubts on making the call. I just wanted others opinions as well. We have tried to say things about her health to them, and they didn't care. I believe they should be charged for what they've done to that dog. It isn't fair and I want to see justice. I don't want them to get away with being selfish this time, like they always do.
    If they've already been talked to for a long time, and the poor dog has suffered needlessly, then yes, best to make the call for the welfare of a helpless dog who is at their mercy. Be strong, you won't regret it no matter what happens.

Hi Lunacat-

The aggressiveness is in all likelihood transitory and based on her current situation. As you can imagine, a dog in a very bad situation responds the way people naturally respond in a very bad situation, i.e. often in the wrong way. My dear rescue dog used to be aggressive to my partner after first arriving. Now he absolutely adores him. Please don't sort of write off the dog as "gone aggressive", because once the dog is out of that situation that will change rapidly.

Lunacat, can you adopt this dog? Can you? I don't know your living situation, but even if it isn't ideal, it would certainly be a huge improvement over her current plight. And if she knew you before, she will be able to tap into that and recover more quickly when she is not surrounded by the current hellish situation.

Many times in life I think "Someone needs to do something! Someone needs to do something!" Then I realize... that I am that someone. Shelters are great, but there ain't no shelter gonna provide the personal TLC that you have for this dog.

Please think about it. And think some more. If there seem to be issues with the idea of you adopting the dog, shout them out here and maybe someone has some ideas for workarounds.

This dog is in your story. You are in hers. Write your story. Enable the dog to write a new chapter in hers. Don't let circumstance or other people write your stories.

Make your miracle. Design your destiny.

May the dog be with you.

DF
    This is excellent written advice... I do hope she can let this matter be in her heart and make room for this dog. She is only acting out cause she is in pain and unhealthy....
    Lunacat please help this dog.

~Update~

Just so everyone knows I have made the call. So far all the SPCA has done is told them to groom her because she was covered in mats. They'll be back to check on it. My aunt always said that her type of dog (which escapes me right now) doesn't need to be groomed... of course it does, it has long hair. I'm surprised they didn't ask for her registration or vet records. The dog has never been to the vet since living in this province and she's never been registered.

Time to make another call and another call and another call until something is done. Also its law the dog needs to be licensed and a current rabie shot, Make a call to the police if you have to, explain the situation and follow through, if they do nothing keep making calls daily if necessary. Sooner or later they'll get tired of hearing from you and something will be done. If you have any way of taking the dog to the vet and let them see the condition she is in they'll take it from there
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

~Update~

Just so everyone knows I have made the call. So far all the SPCA has done is told them to groom her because she was covered in mats. They'll be back to check on it. My aunt always said that her type of dog (which escapes me right now) doesn't need to be groomed... of course it does, it has long hair. I'm surprised they didn't ask for her registration or vet records. The dog has never been to the vet since living in this province and she's never been registered.
    Well that is pretty darn sad the ASPCA won't do anything! Who else is there to call? You can call police . UGH!!! Don't stop till someone does something! Period. Call the SPCA back and talk to a higher authority and no one is doing anything

~Update~

I hope the dog gets a professional grooming, maybe after the mats are removed people could see better the shape she's in. If nothing further is done, maybe you can contact someone other that the SPCA, here's some options on this list. Not sure where you're located. http://www.petfriendly.ca/links/humane.php

I agree with everyone that you need to keep trying and become a pain in the neck to these people to get results for this poor dog. I know these organizations can be overwhelmed at times but they're goal is to help animals and they just may need a daily reminder from you.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

She has always been snippy and has tried to bite before, for example if she was laying down and someone walked near her she would jump up and try and bite your feet. My sister has always been terrified of the dog. According to my aunt she was a rescue dog and came from a physically abusive home (they rescued her real well... not). So that could explain why she is jumpy. But she has never tried to randomly bite. I do understand that she is old, and she is hurting and probably confused because of all the pain she is in. It could be that even touching her hurts and that's why she tried to bite me. I was not at all trying to write her of as "gone aggressive". I was simply trying to explain that she has become more aggressive, and those are probably the reasons why. Thank you.

I will try and do everything I can to help this dog. My aunt and uncle have 2 weeks to get her groomed and when they come back I guess we will see from there what they say. I have a feeling they won't get her professionally groomed. I think they will just bathe her, brush her, and trim her nails (if she will let them touch her paws). Around here your dog has to be up to date with their vaccines to be groomed. And she hasn't been to the vet in years like I have said, and I can't see my aunt and uncle rushing out to the vet and spending all that money on her. I can't really predict what will happen at this point but I guess we will see when they come back.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.