Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Introducing New Situations and Having A Car Problem with The Puppy

Introducing New Situations and Having A Car Problem with The Puppy

Bigfoot will be 6 months old in a few days. He's doing really well but has a few minor issues that we need to work on. He loves going to the park with us everyday, but we can't get him to readily jump into our Jeep Cherokee, regular model, 1996....so it's not high or anything.

For a long time I lifted him in and out because he was so young and I didn't want him to get hurt, like his knees or hips. A couple of times he did jump in on his own with no real encouragement, so we thought the was a new day.

Not so, afterwards he didn't want to jump in at all. I've sat in the car myself, used liverwurst as an incentive, even brought in his squeaky ball to get him to jump. Slow going with this, it just seems to be the appearance of the car that spooks him. He readily jumps on our bed, which is much higher, and our couch, chairs, etc.

Yesterday, I took a baggie of liverwurst pieces with me (he does like it) and went to the post office. On Sundays, it's a good bet there's hardly anyone there. We parked and I walked him on a leash in that neighborhood. I wanted to expose him to some car traffic and strange places.

Things went well, he did his business and took a peewee on the walk. We crossed a couple of intersections with traffic coming and going. He was a little scared, but did as well as can be expected.

Back to the post office parking lot, I tried to get him to jump in. I figured since it was a strange place, he'd be eager to jump into our car....not. I sat in there, in the front passenger seat with a piece of liverwurst in my hand, while holding his 6' leash. He stayed outside on the ground and wouldn't come in. Like pulling teeth, I got him to finally come in and sit next to me twice. Next time it did not work.

I went into the post office. It was closed, but the lobby and PO box area was open. I left him in the car alone for the first time ever. He looked nervous and worried, always looking at the post office door and windows for me. He went from passenger seat to driver seat and ended up for good in the driver seat. He just sat there like a good boy, looking and waiting.

I didn't make him wait long at all, and he was happy to see me return. Afterwards I made a quick stop at a local store and did the same, he was okay. I'm glad he didn't panic, stress too much or start to bark.

Today I took him to the park alone. I couldn't get him to go into the car, so I just lifted him in and went on my way. When we got home, he was in the back seat. I called him to come into the front seat and come out with me to go into the house, and he refused. I walked to the front door without him, hoping he'd get worried and jump out on his own to come into the house. He hasn't had any issues jumping out of the car. But no go.

I went back to the car and firmly told him come on, let's go. I started to grab his harness to guide him into the front seat and he put the breaks on. His feet ended up on the floor and I couldn't get him to come up front.

Sooo, I opened the back door and hooked him up to the leash, figuring he'd just jump out the back. Well he fought me until slipped out of his harness. Frustrated, I hooked up the leash to his collar, lifted him out of the car and brought him into the house.

Not really complaining, he's a good dog for his age and we're very happy with him. But this is just a little thing I'll be working on to overcome. Anyone here had a dog who didn't want to go into the car??

can you get someone else with another dog to show him how its done? If he sees another dog jumping in and out of your car it might make him want to try. Do it several times while saying something like "get in" or "get out". You have nothing to loose by trying this, the worst that can happen is he just sits there but I think if he sees the other dog getting in and getting a treat for jumping in it might help him get the idea
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Alpha it's good that you're getting Bigfoot accustomed to different things and I never realized that could be an issue. Sorry I don't have anything to add besides moral support and hopefully he will get over this. Keep us posted.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

That's a good idea Linda, but unfortunately I can't think of a dog to do that at the moment. The neighbors don't have any dogs who regularly go out with them like that, and Bigfoot has no real buddy to guide him. I'll keep that in mind though, excellent idea.

Thanks Esme, your support means a lot. Hopefully something will 'click' soon, and he won't hesitate anymore. Can't say I remember having this issue with any of my other pups.

I mentioned this to my husband who's had more dogs when he was younger than me and he thought maybe he's just afraid of the car but working with him like you are doing will help him overcome his fear. Sorry for the long sentence there but I'm sure things will work out and having a furry friend show him can help. Plus it's a good idea that you left him alone for a bit to get him used to being in the car.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Been a couple of weeks and still having trouble getting him to jump into the car. He easily can, he jumps in even higher places, but he's a bit spooked or something by the car. We take him five times a week to the park, and I've been pulling up on his harness, while pushing him from behind to get him to put his front feet up, then pretty much shove him until he's in.

It's odd, because he starts to put the breaks on when we approach the car. He's not one of those dogs who's super excited to take a ride or go to the park, that's for sure. And he's not food driven, it doesn't matter if you have a treat or a toy to tempt him, he couldn't care less. Once he's in, he's fine, so he's not scared of riding in the car at all.

I have to work with him on some stuff, including going up and down stairs. Right now there's a staircase that leads from the kitchen to the basement. He's never been down it, even though he can at any time. The cat goes down there all the time.

I don't necessarily want to teach him that right now, because it's better that he doesn't go down there until he's trustworthy in his house training. From my other pups, they were all hesitant to descend those stairs at first, but I'd sit on a lower step myself and coax them with a treat. Once they made it down and up one time, they ran up and down like nothing.

I do want him to learn to go up and down the steps to the camper. There was snow and ice in my yard for so long, I didn't have time to do anything with him out there. I thought of setting up those steps back there, and getting him familiar with them somehow...we'll see.

I told my husband that maybe someday something will just click for him, he'll overcome his hesitation of going into the car and then it will be spontaneous. He still seems like such a baby sometimes.

he is a baby, he's just a little boy. When he's ready he'll surprise you and do it on his own. My father had a collie that didn't like the kitchen floor. All the years my dad had him he never would walk across that floor. He'd climb stairs, jump in the car ect, just stayed away from the kitchen floor. They do have funny hangups sometimes.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Interesting, I saw Cesar Millan once dealing with a dog that was afraid to walk on the kitchen floor. I forgot exactly what he did, but he helped the dog overcome his fear.

He may had gotten use to you putting him in the car and decided he like being picked up instead of jumping in. Can you buy a ramp for him to use ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Interesting, I saw Cesar Millan once dealing with a dog that was afraid to walk on the kitchen floor. I forgot exactly what he did, but he helped the dog overcome his fear.
    Hi Alpha , I saw that episode of Cesar. I seen them all probably. Lol. But, all he did was coax him a bit then he went out and he just walked real fast without letting him stop. The shine on the floor was scaring him. But once he got him to walk straight on it with out stopping the dog had no problem.
    Maybe he is associating the car with the vet . Josie is with the car but Jax don't like it much yet. But I haven't taken them much in it.
    But I tell you I am so mad at these 2 I could scream. When they go out together to burn some energy off in the snow ( they are fascinated with the deep snow we just got), but I let them out together and they go ABSOLUTELY DEAF to my calling them. Then they look right at me and turn and run. Jax is the worst ever! I use to be able to coax Josie with treats and she would come running ,,,,, not any more, And it is really trying my patience!!! I can't stand it when a dog won't come when called. I never had a problem like this before either. And it is very nerve wracking in the middle of the night. But I don't let them out together then..... one at a time. But then this Jax is the most stubborn puppy and deaf when he is out alone too............sigh............................. I don't remember Cesar having an episode on this problem. I would have remembered I would think. But then....... ha! old age plays alot games with memory
    Last edited by lovemylittleboy; 02-16-2016 at 05:28 PM. Reason: add to post

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
    He may had gotten use to you putting him in the car and decided he like being picked up instead of jumping in. Can you buy a ramp for him to use ?
    You may be right on the picking up thing, he might have gotten spoiled. I do have a new ramp I bought right before my elderly dog passed on in August, but I'm not going to use it for him unless he was disabled physically. I'll just have to keep on working to get him to do it on his own, he's done is a couple of times with ease, so I know it's more mental than physical.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemylittleboy View Post
    Hi Alpha , I saw that episode of Cesar. I seen them all probably. Lol. But, all he did was coax him a bit then he went out and he just walked real fast without letting him stop. The shine on the floor was scaring him. But once he got him to walk straight on it with out stopping the dog had no problem.
    Maybe he is associating the car with the vet . Josie is with the car but Jax don't like it much yet. But I haven't taken them much in it.
    But I tell you I am so mad at these 2 I could scream. When they go out together to burn some energy off in the snow ( they are fascinated with the deep snow we just got), but I let them out together and they go ABSOLUTELY DEAF to my calling them. Then they look right at me and turn and run. Jax is the worst ever! I use to be able to coax Josie with treats and she would come running ,,,,, not any more, And it is really trying my patience!!! I can't stand it when a dog won't come when called. I never had a problem like this before either. And it is very nerve wracking in the middle of the night. But I don't let them out together then..... one at a time. But then this Jax is the most stubborn puppy and deaf when he is out alone too............sigh............................. I don't remember Cesar having an episode on this problem. I would have remembered I would think. But then....... ha! old age plays alot games with memory
    He only had one negative visit to the vet, when I got him neutered, but nothing unusually bad happened. He's actually pretty happy at the vet, in the waiting room he wags his tail, watches the other dogs and people and doesn't show any fear or nervousness at all.

Hubby and I were just talking about your situation. We were saying if we bought one of Bigfoot's brothers or sisters, they'd be so involved playing with each other that we'd be invisible. I know that's what you're going through.

You're smart for letting them out one at a time when time is a concern, especially at night. I can't think of a Cesar episode like that, but if I do I'll post it here. Good luck with your little cuties!

I found this article for you Vicky

http://dogtime.com/dog-health/dog-be...-coming-dunbar

well there was an episode for dogs that don't get in cars too. And all he did was get in first and coaxed them in with the lead and they got a treat when they got in. He did it a whole lot of times. Repetition is really what it takes. Pretty soon they jut got right in. Maybe that will help you. Thank for asking your husband Alpha. I didn't mean when I wrote the post I can't stand the dogs ,,,,,, I can't stand it when they don't listen. It drives me crazy. Cause they listen in the house......... sigh....
    How long does it take for them to loose their puppy teeth? I haven't seen any around. I know they swallow them sometimes , but I use to always see them when my Dobi lost hers. Sometimes when they play hard Jax leaves blood marks on her (light like it was wiped or something) , but also on his one toy I seen blood today and I looked in his mouth and I didn't see anything wrong. I just wonder if that is why I have a hard time getting him to eat. He always ate really good before..

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    Thank you Linda. I found this interesting. I have never punished him for not coming , either of them. But when they did they still got a treat and I praise them. Goodness this is hard. They probably are bored so when I let them out together they no way want to come in. Cold or not. I buy toys all the time. I do short training times getting them to stay, sit etc. But inside it is different. Ugh. They are missing walks because of the cold and now the snow storm we just had. I have tried a lot of this stuff, but it don't work. I will just have to keep trying. They don't even keep their attention on new toys. Just a little while and they are history. The antlers rarely get chewed anymore too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.