Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Introducing New Situations and Having A Car Problem with The Puppy

When I teach to come when called I get like a 20 foot lead rope and say "come" and gently reel them in. When they get to me I praise and give a treat, it takes a little while but they come to associate the "come" with being reeled in and pretty soon they just come on their own
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by lovemylittleboy View Post
    How long does it take for them to loose their puppy teeth? I haven't seen any around. I know they swallow them sometimes , but I use to always see them when my Dobi lost hers. Sometimes when they play hard Jax leaves blood marks on her (light like it was wiped or something) , but also on his one toy I seen blood today and I looked in his mouth and I didn't see anything wrong. I just wonder if that is why I have a hard time getting him to eat. He always ate really good before..
    They lose all their baby teeth and get their adult teeth by about 5 1/2 months old. Bigfoot had all his adult teeth at 6 months. We saw a lot of them around the house, but if the pups go outdoors a lot, it's hard to keep track of the lost teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    They lose all their baby teeth and get their adult teeth by about 5 1/2 months old. Bigfoot had all his adult teeth at 6 months. We saw a lot of them around the house, but if the pups go outdoors a lot, it's hard to keep track of the lost teeth.
    Oh Ok Alpha I found one today. They are 5 months old tomorrow. But I only did find one. I wonder if that is Jax will not want to eat unless I hand feed him. He may have lost a couple teeth while eating. Hmmm I don't know. I am tired .

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    When I teach to come when called I get like a 20 foot lead rope and say "come" and gently reel them in. When they get to me I praise and give a treat, it takes a little while but they come to associate the "come" with being reeled in and pretty soon they just come on their own
    I read about that rope thing Linda. But I would be able to do it better if it wasn't winter. Why he couldn't wait till Spring is beyond me to get puppies. But I am gonna do that when the weather permits and my back yard isn't a swamp. I could do it in the house but the parrot just won't leave us alone. When he is put in his cage he just screams like an idiot cause he knows I am trying to work with them

Well, it's been very frustrating getting the dog to go in the car, been lifting his front feet and pushing him in pretty much. Last week he jumped in once when we were coming back from the dog park, but then again he insisted on putting the brakes on and refusing to go in no matter how much we coaxed him.

I'm happy today, it may not last and I may have to work more with him. But today I took him for the first time to a pet store to shop for a new harness, he's outgrowing his. He's still a bit nervous being out and about, around people and cars in that kind of a situation, but he's fine with people at the dog park.

Anyway, there was a group of people and dogs for adoption outside the entrance of the store, he immediately started to be afraid and buck. I just tightened/shortened the leash and walked him past them. He was antsy in the store too, maybe more overwhelmed at everything around him, need to get him out more. But honestly I never liked taking any of my dogs into those stores, too much of a hassle and sometimes come upon an unfriendly dog.

Well, since he was on 'high alert' , when we walked back to the Jeep he stopped again not wanting to jump into the car....but he was warily looking back and forth around him, although there were no people or cars nearby. Suddenly he just leaped into the car like nothing, and I praised him for it. We had a pigs ear that we were trying to lure him into the car with, so I gave that to him, but he's not food driven and it dropped on the floor in the back seat.

So, I got out to open the back door to get it and he followed me out (on leash). When I was ready to go back into the front he jumped right in again. My husband was laughing when I got home saying we should have just scared him into the car instead of asking, commanding and begging.

I'll take him somewhere tomorrow, and hope to have the same results. Would be great if he jumped right in in the driveway when he's not scared. One day I was out there with all the doors open and the tailgate. Even the cat was going into the car and he would not go in. I'd lift him in and go in by myself in the back or the back seat and he didn't care.

its a good start, he did it once or twice and knows he can do it so hopefully he will continue to do it. If not then he's not so heavy you have a hard time picking him up. But I think eventually he'll do it. Just keep at it and one day he'll surprise you and just jump in. Like anything else if you keep saying "get in" or "get out" it will sink in and he'll just do it
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Phoenix went for her annual vet check and rabies shot yesterday. She wasn't as bad as I thought she'd be, but she still had to be muzzled. You never saw a dog so eager to get in the car and get home as she was. She usually walks good on the leash but she forgot her leash manners in her hurry to get to the car

Funny Linda, I bet your girl was eager to get the heck out of there, especially since she has to be muzzled for the whole thing! Sweet girl you've got there, hope her check up was A-OK.

went fine, there are three great vets there, I made an apt with the one that sees Orri, she is better with women than the male vet. She 80.5 pounds, perfect weight for her frame, she's not thin but not fat, long and on the lean side but its all muscle. And the vet remarked on her beautiful coat. I paid the bill and she was through the door before it was fully open. She was so upset when she got home she had diarreah. She's fine now, only place she wants to go is to the woods to run and play

Sounds like a nice size for a female, her coat does look beautiful from the photos.

I put a spoonful of "missing link" on her food daily, that is all the vitamins and minerals she might be missing in her food. Gives them a beautiful soft shiny coat

Poor Phoenix and although it's only for a shot getting nervous like that is normal but still I always wish the vet made house calls...it would be so much easier and relaxing for everyone.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

the vet coming to the house would be worse, she would not stand for anyone coming in that she doesn't know. Better to take her there and muzzle her, get her shot and exam and come home, over and done with.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Poor Phoenix and although it's only for a shot getting nervous like that is normal but still I always wish the vet made house calls...it would be so much easier and relaxing for everyone.
    My Vet new partner does house calls, but mainly just for serious problems. But my sisters vet came to her house and gave her dog his rabies shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Well, it's been very frustrating getting the dog to go in the car, been lifting his front feet and pushing him in pretty much. Last week he jumped in once when we were coming back from the dog park, but then again he insisted on putting the brakes on and refusing to go in no matter how much we coaxed him.

I'm happy today, it may not last and I may have to work more with him. But today I took him for the first time to a pet store to shop for a new harness, he's outgrowing his. He's still a bit nervous being out and about, around people and cars in that kind of a situation, but he's fine with people at the dog park.

Anyway, there was a group of people and dogs for adoption outside the entrance of the store, he immediately started to be afraid and buck. I just tightened/shortened the leash and walked him past them. He was antsy in the store too, maybe more overwhelmed at everything around him, need to get him out more. But honestly I never liked taking any of my dogs into those stores, too much of a hassle and sometimes come upon an unfriendly dog.

Well, since he was on 'high alert' , when we walked back to the Jeep he stopped again not wanting to jump into the car....but he was warily looking back and forth around him, although there were no people or cars nearby. Suddenly he just leaped into the car like nothing, and I praised him for it. We had a pigs ear that we were trying to lure him into the car with, so I gave that to him, but he's not food driven and it dropped on the floor in the back seat.

So, I got out to open the back door to get it and he followed me out (on leash). When I was ready to go back into the front he jumped right in again. My husband was laughing when I got home saying we should have just scared him into the car instead of asking, commanding and begging.

I'll take him somewhere tomorrow, and hope to have the same results. Would be great if he jumped right in in the driveway when he's not scared. One day I was out there with all the doors open and the tailgate. Even the cat was going into the car and he would not go in. I'd lift him in and go in by myself in the back or the back seat and he didn't care.
    He will get it Alpha now he has done it he will continue to no doubt in the future . Especially if he is going to a place he likes to go

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.