Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Introducing New Situations and Having A Car Problem with The Puppy

He's over 8 months old now and still stubborn with getting into the Jeep on a regular basis. I've been taking him to different areas on weekends for training. During the week he goes with both of us for a long walk off-leash at the park.

On the weekends, I've been taking him places where he can walk up and down stairs, he still hasn't gone down our stairs at home to the basement, but I haven't really worked on that, probably better he doesn't for awhile. I'm also taking him where there's loud kids playing and people around.

Anyway, he's doing good on stairs outdoors, took him at a couple of playground areas where he went up some weird steps, then some regular cement staircases in other areas, he did really well today. Took some steps that he bucked on a couple of months ago, and took them easily, lead me up and down.

In public areas, he jumps into the Jeep more readily, today I told him twice and he hopped right in. We set up the portable three step ladder that goes into our camper today to see how he'd do on that. He went up with no problem, coming down he tended to jump from the top step instead of walking one by one, which is okay, not that high and he's young and springy.

He was happy to be in the camper with us and seemed very comfortable there. Yesterday we took him for the first time for a drive in the truck. It's a diesel so it's much louder than the Jeep and he's never been in it. He was pretty mellow, either looked around at the cars on the highway or laid on my lap.

Lot of firsts for the little guy, and it's fun to watch him explore and experience things. We always had an older dog at home when we got a new puppy, but he's on his own, so he don't have a four legged friend to show him the ropes....except for the cat of course.

Alpha thank you for the update on Bigfoot and he is coming along and will learn little by little. You have great patience which is so important.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

the older he gets the more mature he'll be and willing to try new things. He's done well so far and its all uphill from here.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Well hopefully downhill from here, lol!

He's getting better going into the car now, even in our driveway. We may have to tell him a couple of times, but then he does jump in. I'm glad, got tired of lifting him for no reason.

could it be he may be a tiny bit spoiled and likes you picking him up. But no more lifting him up with muddy feet. that's progress
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Oh yeah, and there's been plenty of muddy feet lately with new fresh wet snow on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I have to work with him on some stuff, including going up and down stairs. Right now there's a staircase that leads from the kitchen to the basement. He's never been down it, even though he can at any time. The cat goes down there all the time.

I don't necessarily want to teach him that right now, because it's better that he doesn't go down there until he's trustworthy in his house training. From my other pups, they were all hesitant to descend those stairs at first, but I'd sit on a lower step myself and coax them with a treat. Once they made it down and up one time, they ran up and down like nothing.
    Well, he's still not doing the staircase. But I never did push him, because it's better if he doesn't go down there on his own. I've tried to leash him and he puts on the brakes and fights like there's a monster down there. He even backs away from me once I approach the top of the staircase, like I have two heads.

Today I did a little cleaning down there, so I carried him down the stairs with me, he's around 33 lbs. now and although not heavy, he's pretty big for carrying. I put all the lights on and let him explore everywhere. He whimpered a little bit on and off and I just ignored him, but he did jump up on the bed and couch and was happy to do that. My husband came down for something and tried to get him to follow him back up the stairs, but he wouldn't go. The last time I carried him down when he was younger, I had to hold him by the collar and push his rear until he got back up the stairs, I thought I'd have to do that again today.

When it was time for me to go upstairs, I left the light on down there and on the staircase and just came up. In a minute or so I heard some scrambling on the stairs and there was my boy, happy to be in the kitchen again safe and sound. I gave him a couple of pieces of American cheese and praised him. I went back down and he had no interest at all to go down again on his own.

He's not really food driven, so using really good treats to lure him down never worked. The staircase is carpeted, very narrow, with a solid wall on either side, I think that may have something to do with it. I've taken him up and down all kinds of stairs outdoors, and he does fine. Even some equipment at the playground, he goes up and down those little weird steps and has even slid down a small kiddie slide with me. He still acts very baby-like and timid around certain situations, but slowly getting better. He's not rough, wild and adventurous unless he's running loose outdoors, like when we go camping in the forest.

I feel happy though that he came up on his own for the first time, a small baby step but better than nothing. I'll be going down there again soon to do more cleaning, gotta do it at least once a year, might as well be spring. I'll take him with me again.

He probably doesn't like the feeling of confinement with the walls on each side of the stairs. but I would have done the same thing, just ignore him and go up the stairs he'll give in eventually and come up on his own. Because he was neutered young is another reason he acts babyish, if he wasn't physically mature he wasn't mentally mature either. It may take a while but he'll grow up. But he will eventually. Before you know it he'll be following you up and down the stairs like a pro.

You're right Linda, then I'll probably curse the day I introduced him to the staircase.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Well, he's still not doing the staircase. But I never did push him, because it's better if he doesn't go down there on his own. I've tried to leash him and he puts on the brakes and fights like there's a monster down there. He even backs away from me once I approach the top of the staircase, like I have two heads.

Today I did a little cleaning down there, so I carried him down the stairs with me, he's around 33 lbs. now and although not heavy, he's pretty big for carrying. I put all the lights on and let him explore everywhere. He whimpered a little bit on and off and I just ignored him, but he did jump up on the bed and couch and was happy to do that. My husband came down for something and tried to get him to follow him back up the stairs, but he wouldn't go. The last time I carried him down when he was younger, I had to hold him by the collar and push his rear until he got back up the stairs, I thought I'd have to do that again today.

When it was time for me to go upstairs, I left the light on down there and on the staircase and just came up. In a minute or so I heard some scrambling on the stairs and there was my boy, happy to be in the kitchen again safe and sound. I gave him a couple of pieces of American cheese and praised him. I went back down and he had no interest at all to go down again on his own.

He's not really food driven, so using really good treats to lure him down never worked. The staircase is carpeted, very narrow, with a solid wall on either side, I think that may have something to do with it. I've taken him up and down all kinds of stairs outdoors, and he does fine. Even some equipment at the playground, he goes up and down those little weird steps and has even slid down a small kiddie slide with me. He still acts very baby-like and timid around certain situations, but slowly getting better. He's not rough, wild and adventurous unless he's running loose outdoors, like when we go camping in the forest.

I feel happy though that he came up on his own for the first time, a small baby step but better than nothing. I'll be going down there again soon to do more cleaning, gotta do it at least once a year, might as well be spring. I'll take him with me again.
    Update: He just turned 2 yrs. old last month, and it seems he acting a little bit more mature, he's still very baby-like and slow maturing. Around a week ago I got him to go down the stairs with me, first by guiding him to the top of the staircase with his collar, something he fought me hard on a few months ago. Then just pointing to is and walking behind him, he would go down first and I'd follow.

One day I was surprised that he went down and back up again on his own, of course all these times the cat wasn't around, because if the cat's at the top of the stairs he would never come up, cat is friendly and they get along well, but the cat dominates and the dog is a little timid.

I've been doing a lot of housework down there today, changing out cat litter, cleaning bathroom, laundry, etc. Every time I'd go down there, I'd hear his footsteps up on the kitchen floor and sure enough he'd appear in the laundry room like a big boy. I've been giving him a lot of praise.

Also, he went through a stubborn streak when I call him inside from the back yard, he'd often refuse to come and it was very frustrating. So now, I may have to call more than once, but he slowly strolls in when he's ready. Getting better, but not perfect. He's slow for a young dog. Our other dogs would run in and knock you over or skid on the kitchen floor, they were going so fast.

But I have to say there was always 2 of them, and they seem to be more competitive and excitable when you have a pair. Now, he's my only dog. He'll take his time getting up, stretch, look around lazily....and then decide to slowly come into the house.

He's such a good dog though, I cherish every part of his personality, the little bit of bad along with all the good. He's super affectionate, and a good watch dog, very little barking and low growl when someone is passing our house or making some noise outside. We both love him to pieces.

My cousin that lives in Maine lost her husband on Sat. (Lukemia) he was transferred to the Darthmouth Hitchcock Clinic here in Lebanon which is about 90 miles north of here, she has a goldendoodle, I told her I'd keep him as long as necessary so she could be with her husband, Phoenix was thrilled to have him to play with, she was a bit leary when he came in the house but she was ok but I did watch her carefully, the cats were worse and he had never seen a cat. He was a very big man, he'd been in a Maine hospital for several weeks before being transferred here. Penny said he wasn't going to live long, she said because he is so big the chemo dosage goes by weight and they would have to give him so much it would kill the good as well as the bad. He had one treatment on Thursday and he died Sometime Friday night. She did come and get the dog and went home, his body was going to go back to Maine today and the funeral will be somtime this week. But Phoenix had a playmate for a couple of days and it went better than I expected, I knew she'd be fine with him outside, just was cautious about the dog coming in "her" house.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.