New feeder goldfish sick?

New feeder goldfish sick?

So I just got a small "feeder" goldfish for my 10 gallon tank about a week ago. Yes i know they are supposed to have around 70 gallons when they are an adult but he is about 2 inches right now and i will be setting up a pond soon. I have a top fin quiet filter for 20 gallons right now and the tank is bare. Ever since I got him from Petsmart, he swims only at the bottom of the tank. I have never seen him on the top part of the tank. He accepts food and is constantly swimming around but just barely an inch off the bottom of the tank. I am doing an fish-in cycle with him because of his small size and just changed the water a couple hours ago. Could this be because of a disease from the petstore? I really dont want him to die even though he only costed me 14cents. What could be the reason of this?

Well it could be sick from Pet Smart for sure. The don't care for feeder fish much OR you water may be too cold to what it is use to or too warm.

Sorry I don't have any advice and I asked my husband who is the fish expert in our house but we never had "feeder" goldfish...just ornamental variety goldfish like oranda, etc. and tropical fish. You could always contact Petsmart and bring a water sample for them to check and hopefully they could help you. Hope it works out okay.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

good advice Esme. No store cares about "feeder" fish cause they won't be around long they figure. Poor things. There are hundreds of them in a tank that causes alot of disease
    I have had fish before , fresh and salt water. They get sick easy when not cared for properly , just any other living thing

Thank you everybody for answering. After doing a little research, I think he might have swim bladder disease.

I have never heard of that! Hmmm. Alrighty then

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.