Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My New Puppy

My New Puppy

I brought home my new puppy today! He is a Miniature Australian Shepherd. I've named him Charlie. He is a gorgeous blue merle. He is the best pup in the whole world. The breeder said he should be around 35-pounds when he is fully grown. He is 7-weeks-old and the cutest little baby I've ever had. The breeder feeds Nutro and gave me a small bag of Nutro Wild Frontier Rolling Meadows Recipe Grain-Free. Is this a good food? I assume she wouldn't feed it if it wasn't. Charlie really seems to like it and it's what he was weaned onto. I've got him a cute little blue collar and he has a favorite toy (a rope with two tennis balls on it). He spent a long time playing with it today. He's met my 1-year-old Cocker Spaniel, Georgette and my Abyssinian, Choppie. I'm concerned that he chased Choppie. But, he is getting along really well with Georgette. They seem to be the best of friends. She even watches over him. He's getting used to his new crate, too. He is even sleeping in it right now! I ended up having to give him a bath today, as he did a wee in the kitchen and slipped in it (silly puppy). But, he is all dry and warm and in his crate. Him and Georgette spent a lot of time chewing on bones and playing with toys and then resting on the porch. But, Charlie decided the dog bed was a chew toy!

Well, I'm off to see if Charlie needs to go potty!

congrats on your new puppy. He'll do fine and welcome to the forum. Lots of experience here and usually someone around to help if you need it. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you need help. We are here to help each other.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Congrats on your puppy ! I use to buy Nutro from a farmer Co op and they stopped carrying it b/c Nutro started to buy some of their ingredients from China . It has been recalled at once time.
    I buy my dog food from a natural pet store, they don't carry any of the brands of pet foods you can buy in boxed stores. I stopped feeding my last Nutro when I heard about them using ingredients
    from China b/c it's cheaper. I would love to see a pic of your new best friend !

I feed raw, have for years, I never have to worry about what's in the food if I make it myself. I make my own treats also
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thanks guys! I think I will finish off the bag I have. I'm not comfortable feeding raw. I am a vegan and very squeamish around raw meat, so that is out of the question. Georgette has been eating Addiction since she was a puppy. Right now she is eating Grain-Free Wishbone Ocean formula. I really like it because it is holistic, grain-free and 95% of the protein comes from salmon/fish. Also, it has berries that are rich in antioxidants and it keeps her skin super nice! I'm always getting compliments on how beautiful she looks. I also appreciate that it doesn't have by-products, no artificial colors and that it is for all life stages. I might switch Charlie over to it. Everybody seems to have really strong opinions on dog food. lol My vet recommends Addiction, Nutro Max, Nutro, Hill's Science Diet, Eukanuba, Merrick, Dr. Gary's Best Breed and Purina Pro Plan. So, I'm comfortable what I'm feeding them for now. I have Choppie (my cat) on Wellness, but that is because he has hairball problems.

Today I went out and bought some treats for Charlie. They are called Blue Buffalo Wilderness Denali Biscuits with Wild Salmon, Venison & Halibut Grain-Free. I got them because they have wild and not farmed salmon in them. They are kind of big for Charlie, so I put them in a baggy and crushed them up with a big spoon. He absolutely loves them! I was trying to teach him how to sit today, but I couldn't hold his attention, even with these fancy new treats. I had some cooked potatoes, which I ended up using and well...he now knows hot to sit! I'm now working on stay and come, which he is doing very well.

I do have a question. I am a bit concerned and possibly even alarmed. About half an hour I noticed Charlie holding a his right front leg up. He isn't using it at all. I have no idea what to do. I checked his paw and there is nothing in it. I'm thinking he might have pulled a muscle while running around with Georgette. I don't know what else it could be. I can't find any injury on him.

Vets are not trained in nutrition. Science diet is one of the worst foods on the market, and anything made by purina is a terrible food. Do some research on these two, you may get a surprise. purina used rendered meats in their food, rendered meat is euthanized animals, road kill and dead farm or zoo animals. Its your dog, feed it what you want, just do a check on any food recommended by a vet.

Not using his front leg could be something as minor as a twist or he overexerted and just needs to rest. Keep an eye on it and if he's no better by tomorrow see your vet. It doesn't take much to break a bone in a little leg and you wouldn't even notice it. When my bengal was a kitten he was running around with my siamese and he came to me holding up his foot, I couldn't feel anything but took him to the vet, he had broken his leg. Just keep an eye on the pup and if he's still holding up tomorrow have it checked out

Well, I trust my vet more than anybody. But, I never said I was going to feed any of my dogs Hill's Science Diet. But, one of my friends feeds her dog Hill's Science Diet and he is almost 18, so it obviously isn't one of the worst foods on the market. lol My sister feeds her Bernese Mountain Dog and three Newfoundlands on Purina Beyond and they are very healthy. I already said I'm not feeding my dog raw meat.

Charlie is resting in his crate right now. I called the vet and they said I could bring him in today or wait until tomorrow and see if it better. I really don't think anything is broken. My brother's Yorkshire Terrier was hit by a car once and broke it's little leg and Charlie's leg is nothing like that. Charlie still isn't using his leg, so I am a bit worried.

Raw feeder and vegan meet. I'm trying not to giggle. :- )

I don't have a problem with people feeding their dog raw. It's just not something I could personally do without being physically ill.

its your dog, do what you want.

WELCOME to the Forum and I think it's great you're a vegan! Recently my cat Daisy was limping and I found this article on the Cat World website and found it informative:

Also referred to as "lameness", there are many possible causes of limping in cats, most of which are benign, but some do have more serious causes. Limping may affect one limb or several, it may be constant, or it come and go.

The most common cause of limping in cats is a bite wound bite wound abscess or arthritis. Other possible causes of limping may include: Arterial thromboembolism Back injuries Broken bone (fracture) Calicivirus (limping syndrome) Cancer or benign tumour Declawing pain Dislocation (bone popped out of joint) Foreign body in foot (shard of glass, splinter, thorn etc) Insect bite Joint injury (torn cartilage) Laceration Lyme disease Nail injuries (pulled or torn claw, over trimmed claw) Overgrown claws Spinal cord or nerve injury Sprains or strains (joints, tendons, muscles)

Symptoms of limping in cats: Cats are very stoic creatures and may well be in far more pain than they let on. Limping may be acute, may come and go or it may be very subtle. Common symptoms of limping, may include: Unwillingness to place weight on a limb Stiff gait when walking Difficulty/reluctance to jump up and down Taking a shorter step on the painful leg Decrease in activity There may be other side effects that accompany limping, such as: Fever Pain and/or aggression when touched Lump and or heat on the limb Missing fur from the affected limb Diagnosis of limping in cats: There may be an obvious cause that you can see right away. Carefully look over the affected limb, making sure to check between the toes to see if you can find a foreign object, wound or bite/sting in the foot or leg.

Very carefully feel the leg from the toes up to the belly. Are there any lumps or bumps? If so, is there heat? Missing fur? Swelling may be caused by an abscess, joint problems, a broken bone or cancer. Gently move the limb, does this cause pain? Does there appear to be a loss of movement and flexibility? Is more than one limb painful? Is one limb longer than the other (which could point to a dislocation).

Is there any swelling on or around the joint? If you can not find an obvious cause (such as a foreign body), veterinary attention is highly recommended. He will perform a physical examination of your cat and obtain a medical history, including when the limping began, was it sudden or has it progressed over a period of time? How old is your cat? Is the cat indoors or outdoors?

If an obvious cause can not be determined (abscess, foreign body, injury, over grown claw(s) etc), he may wish to perform the following tests. X-Ray or ultrasound Blood tests to rule out disease such as lyme disease How is limping treated? This naturally will depend on what has caused the limping. It should be noted that you should never give human medication to your cat, that includes painkillers such as aspirin or ibuprofen. For a mild strain, rest may be all that is necessary. An abscess will need to be drained, cleaned and a course of antibiotics prescribed.

If you notice a minor wound, apply a mild antiseptic. Remove any foreign body you may find and apply a mild antiseptic. If your cat has a broken leg, it will need to be re-set, and put cast for several weeks. Cage rest will be required to minimise movement. Arthritis treatment includes nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs to reduce inflammation, providing warmth to relieve discomfort, surgery (arthrodesis) to fuse the joint surfaces and supplementing with glucosamine, which is a natural form of cartilage and may be of help. Surgery including amputation of the limb in the event of cancer followed by chemotherapy.

With Daisy she was fine the next day after resting and taking it easy. Hopefully Charlie will be fine.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I don't know why I am getting such a hostile response just because I don't want to feed my dog raw meat!

Thank you for the warm welcome, Esme. I really appreciate the article. I still have Charlie resting. He seems absolutely fine other than not wanting to use that leg.

I have bought a harness for Charlie, since I'm worried about the collar pulling on his neck.

Charlie is finding my shoes (while they are still on my feet) to be great chew toys! He has an incredible amount of chew toys, including the tennis ball on the rope, which seems to be his favorite. He is such a hyper puppy! He is even trying to chew on my beard! The weirdest thing he has tried chewing on is the tires of my car! Today, before I noticed the limping, I even introduced him to my flock of chickens (I kept a hand on his collar). Choppie even went out with him! I had my husband hold one of the chickens while Charlie smelled him. I held him and let him meet the turkeys, too.

He doesn't have any lumps of bumps. There is no heat. No missing fur. No swelling. Moving his joints doesn't cause him pain. It was really sudden. He is only 7-weeks-old. His front limbs appear to be the same length. No swelling. No foreign body. Just very sudden. Not even two-months old. He does go outside with supervision. If it doesn't resolve itself, I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow. He doesn't get his Lyme vaccine until he is 12-weeks-old. I haven't given him anything for the limping. He is mostly on crate rest today. Like I said, if he isn't better by tomorrow, he is going to the vet. I haven't found any wounds. My husband found NaturVet Glucosamine DS Plus MSM & Chondroitin Dog & Cat Soft Chews at the pet store and we have given him one already.
    Last edited by randler89; 03-20-2016 at 10:29 AM. Reason: misspelling

You sound like you've done great checking on Charlie's condition and he hopefully will be back to normal tomorrow. The added vitamins and supplements should help. We all have our opinions on this forum and we all offer support for each other. However, sometimes we don't agree with each other especially when our passion for a topic takes over. Everyone here is welcome so please don't take offense and keep us posted about Charlie.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    You sound like you've done great checking on Charlie's condition and he hopefully will be back to normal tomorrow. The added vitamins and supplements should help. We all have our opinions on this forum and we all offer support for each other. However, sometimes we don't agree with each other especially when our passion for a topic takes over. Everyone here is welcome so please don't take offense and keep us posted about Charlie.
    Yeah but to come on so strong to a new member is not very welcoming .

I never said she should feed raw, all I said was vets are not trained in nutrition and Hills and Purina is not good food. Raw is not for everyone, I just said I feed raw and never had any issue with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.