Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Dog Shelter to Remove Breed Labels on Adoptable Pets

Dog Shelter to Remove Breed Labels on Adoptable Pets

An Arizona shelter is going to be taking the breed labels off of the kennels that adoptable dogs are occupying, waiting for a forever family. This is in response to a study that took place at Arizona State University, which makes the case for these labels actually adding time to the length of stay for adoptable dogs. Basically, putting things like “pit bull mix” and the like as a label on a kennel, makes adoption for that dog less likely.“Breeds are an aspect of a dog but they don’t make up everything about that dog,” said Michael Morefield with the Arizona Animal Welfare League.

The title of the study is “What’s in a Name? Effect of breed Perceptions and Labeling on Attractiveness, Adoptions and Length of Stay for Pit-Bull-Type Dogs.” It was authored by Lisa Gunter and colleagues, and showed how putting a breed label on a dog had an immediate and direct effect on how long a dog might stay in a shelter, and not find a family.According to Morefield, “Dogs that were labeled as pit-bulls [for example] were staying at the shelter longer, while the dog that looked just like them was labeled as a border collie or a Saint Bernard was getting adopted in almost one-third the time.”Hopefully, this will break down some of the barriers that particular dogs have getting rehomed.

The Arizona Animal Welfare League is completely removing all of the labels starting immediately. The information will be replaced with more about the nature and personality of the dog. They figure that getting more of that to potential adopters, will close more deals for dogs.“Their personality, their temperament, the life they have led so far before you meet them in the shelter,” said Morefield. “Those life experiences really make up who that dog is, more than who their parents were five years ago or what their color markings make you think they are as a breed. That’s really what makes up the pet you want to take home.”
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I think it's a good idea. Also, if somebody thinks the pet in a shelter is a purebred, or even half pure, they may want to adopt it to sell if for a profit...which will almost always end badly for the animal.

Definitely agree that's a good idea and I hope it's a success! Nothing wrong when some people like a certain breed but for me it doesn't matter...purebred or mutt...I just love them all
    “Save a life and save a stray”

People with half a brain don't discriminate on a dog's breed or whether or not its a purebred. Even shelters have purebreds. People have certain preferences on certain breeds, doesn't mean the others don't deserve a loving home as well.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

They should do a study to see if these non labeled dogs have a higher rate of being put back into the shelter.

most dogs wind up back in shelters through no fault of their own. People get these "status" dogs then don't know how to work with them and train them properly, you can't blame the dog because it has an ignorant owner.

If people choose a dog that fits their lifestyle and circumstances there is a higher rate of successful dog ownership, that's why I believe people should know what kind of dog they are adopting.

Quote Originally Posted by mechi2 View Post
    If people choose a dog that fits their lifestyle and circumstances there is a higher rate of successful dog ownership, that's why I believe people should know what kind of dog they are adopting.
    This is why breeds can actually be important.Even more,knowing what breed a dog is can sometimes give you an insight on genetic predisposition to any health problems when it comes to rescued dogs.

dogs do not self train, no matter what your preference is to a certain breed no dog comes to you perfect. With training any dog can fit into any family. Without training its the owner that creates bad dog, no dog is born bad

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    dogs do not self train, no matter what your preference is to a certain breed no dog comes to you perfect. With training any dog can fit into any family. Without training its the owner that creates bad dog, no dog is born bad
    And even in circumstances where a dog was previously trained to fight they could be retrained properly to become a relatively suitable family dog.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    My dad got a Beagle to go hunting with , dad thought b/c it was hunting dog he would know what to do. The two of them went to our summer camp in the winter and the river was frozen .
    Dad got out his gun and our dog freaked out as he knew dad didn't like him and ran across the ice and wouldn't come back ! Smart dog ! Dad didn't know how frozen the ice was and wasn't going to try walking across it so he pulled himself across the ice slowly until he was able to reach our dog. That was the end of dad hunting trip . I could of told dad our dog needed some training first but he wouldn't had listen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
    My dad got a Beagle to go hunting with , dad thought b/c it was hunting dog he would know what to do. The two of them went to our summer camp in the winter and the river was frozen .
    Dad got out his gun and our dog freaked out as he knew dad didn't like him and ran across the ice and wouldn't come back ! Smart dog ! Dad didn't know how frozen the ice was and wasn't going to try walking across it so he pulled himself across the ice slowly until he was able to reach our dog. That was the end of dad hunting trip . I could of told dad our dog needed some training first but he wouldn't had listen to me.
    The dog might have prey drive but it does take lots of training before a dog is actually capable.I actually have a relative with hunting dogs,all extremely well trained,but they are NOT trained easily or quickly.It takes time and patience and is certainly not going to happen instantly,which should be common sense.

Hee-hee. Good story.

Quote Originally Posted by AmityvilleAria View Post
    The dog might have prey drive but it does take lots of training before a dog is actually capable.I actually have a relative with hunting dogs,all extremely well trained,but they are NOT trained easily or quickly.It takes time and patience and is certainly not going to happen instantly,which should be common sense.
    My dad was not a patience man and never had any pets while growing up in Russia , he was born 1892 give or take a few years . He never had a dog until he was in his 60's .

My dad was not a patience man and never had any pets while growing up in Russia , he was born 1892 give or take a few years . He never had a dog until he was in his 60's .
    Well that explains a lot!You really do have to have patience with dogs,and for a while now we've had lots of bad information on how to train dogs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.