Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Dog Shelter to Remove Breed Labels on Adoptable Pets

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    a dog in a shelter situation is not the same dog you bring home. Once the dog gets comfortable in his new home the "real personality" comes out. So if you just basing your choice on what you see in a shelter you may be in for a surprise.
    And that makes it even harder for shelter dogs to get a perfect home.

People with half a brain don't discriminate on a dog's breed or whether or not its a purebred. Even shelters have purebreds. People have certain preferences on certain breeds, doesn't mean the others don't deserve a loving home as well.
    I agree 100% Linda

dogs do not self train, no matter what your preference is to a certain breed no dog comes to you perfect. With training any dog can fit into any family. Without training its the owner that creates bad dog, no dog is born bad
    How very true! I agree 100%

again you are blaming the dog for what the owners do. Any dog can bite and you can't know with absolute certainty and your dog or another's dog won't bite. And its not just shelter dogs, you can have a dog for years with no incident then one day it bites someone or another dog. A dog is a dog, they are not humans that think things through and know consequences, they act on the spur of the moment. NO dog is 100% predictable ever!
    My last dog who was my hearing dog wore a gentle leader and some people thought it was a muzzle and would ask me if my dog bite . I answered back all dog can bite . I wish I had a dollar for each time a person asked if my dog bite ! I knew someone that tried to wake up his sleeping dog and the dog bite him on the hand . The guy had kids and had the dog put down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
    My last dog who was my hearing dog wore a gentle leader and some people thought it was a muzzle and would ask me if my dog bite . I answered back all dog can bite . I wish I had a dollar for each time a person asked if my dog bite ! I knew someone that tried to wake up his sleeping dog and the dog bite him on the hand . The guy had kids and had the dog put down.
    That would be just as bad as me having my dog put down when he bit me for incredibly valid reasons So sad that people would have an animal killed just for an incident they created,but of course that is the sad reality of the general public.

True, any dog can bite at any time, you just never know because as Linda has so correctly stated, a dog reacts by instinct not reason. But getting back to the original post I strongly feel it is the shelter's responsibility to give a potential owner as much information on the dog as possible in order that they can make an informed decision and that includes the dog's breed background.

Quote Originally Posted by mechi2 View Post
    True, any dog can bite at any time, you just never know because as Linda has so correctly stated, a dog reacts by instinct not reason. But getting back to the original post I strongly feel it is the shelter's responsibility to give a potential owner as much information on the dog as possible in order that they can make an informed decision and that includes the dog's breed background.
    Definitely.If someone is adopting a dog they should have every single piece of information from the dog's favorite types of toys to its past to its breed(s) and all that.

and what if the dog came in as a stray? No one knows its background or how it was treated. Does that mean no one should take a chance with it?
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

and what if the dog came in as a stray? No one knows its background or how it was treated. Does that mean no one should take a chance with it?
    Then an in depth behavioral assessment should be done immediately,once it is completely checked for any and all illnesses.

we aren't talking about sick dogs, we are talking about perfectly healthy dogs that their behavior will be different in a home situation than in a shelter in a kennel. You don't seem to get it AA, all these so called defective dogs you keep talking about want to live as much as any other dog, and by you denying them homes you are sentencing them to death. Its not their fault no one wants them, its people like you that keep saying people shouldn't adopt from shelters unless you know they are perfect that causes the death of so many innocent animals. You need to rethink your position and not try to stop people from adopting because of your outdated opinions!
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by AmityvilleAria View Post
    an in depth behavioral assessment should be done immediately

we aren't talking about sick dogs, we are talking about perfectly healthy dogs that their behavior will be different in a home situation than in a shelter in a kennel. You don't seem to get it AA, all these so called defective dogs you keep talking about want to live as much as any other dog, and by you denying them homes you are sentencing them to death. Its not their fault no one wants them, its people like you that keep saying people shouldn't adopt from shelters unless you know they are perfect that causes the death of so many innocent animals. You need to rethink your position and not try to stop people from adopting because of your outdated opinions!
    Here's a scenario that could happen.A person adopts a dog,that person later finds that the dog is completely wrong for them.So then what?The dog most likely is taken back to a shelter,and either put to sleep or adopted out again to someone who might not even be the right person for that dog.I don't see how that's a good solution at all.Perhaps foster homes instead of shelters,but when these dogs are just adopted out with someone not even knowing if they will work with the dog or not it's just impossible to see an entirely ideal situation with perfect solutions to the problems of the world.

The best solution overall would be stricter regulations,make it impossible for backyard breeders and unethical breeders to exist,and most importantly of all an end to all shelters that euthanize animals.Of course,the likelihood of such a thing ever becoming reality is near impossible.

There are unethical shelters just as there are unethical breeders,but until both are completely eliminated there is no way things will ever get better.

I'm lost here. What dog is perfect, whether it's from a shelter or a breeder? The park I go to every day is full of rescue dogs, some are happy and obedient, some have issues that the owner is helping them with. What kind of self-centered person would get a dog and decide it wasn't perfect for them so they get rid of it? I know it happens or there wouldn't be any dogs in shelters, there are unethical breeders, shelters and owners IMO.

How many people don't have any common sense when it comes to judging any dog? I wouldn't go to a kennel, hook a leash up to a dog and take it home in my car blindly. People spend time with the dog before they take it. Shelters give any information about the dog that they have, whether it's friendly with other pets, whether it's fearful, if it was brought in as an abuse case, known health problems, etc.

Lots of people take great pleasure in working with a dog to overcome a problem, even purebreds straight from the breeder can be shy, a bit fearful, a little aggressive, etc. There's no guarantee that any dog is going to be "perfect", and in my opinion, the well being of the animal should be first and foremost, not a picky new owner who puts the dog back in the pound because it wasn't just perfect for them.

And who cares what kind of toys a dog played with in the past, that's so petty really. Especially with a rescue pet, you're giving them a new loving home, bonding with them and letting them trust you and have a new life experience. Any toys, beds or other things you may get for the dog can be just as much appreciated by the animal, they don't need a repeat of what they had in the past. They live in the moment, and their future depends on how much you care.

A man at the park rescued a female Doberman years ago. She was very shy and fearful. When I first saw him with her she had no confidence at all, and clung to his ankles for security, where he could barely walk. I tried to pet her and she just hid behind him. I see them a lot these days and you wouldn't believe it's the same dog, she loves it at the park and they're so happy with each other. She's overcome all her insecurities and the love they have for each other shines through clearly.

There's so many stories like that. If anybody has to overthink getting a pet that much, they probably shouldn't get one, their too involved with themselves. Plenty of people go to a shelter and just click with a dog, they want to save a life, give a second chance or just want the dog because it's cute. Most people can reason whether a dog is too big, or too high energy for their household or family. As someone here said earlier, we take care of the dog, that's our role as their owners and caretakers.

I can research for years about a breed, decide I want an Airedale Terrier because they would fit my lifestyle and I liked their characteristics. I can go to a reputable breeder and purchase one and realize in a short time that even though it's the dog breed that seemed perfect for me, the dog wasn't working out. Well, I could dump it back off at the breeder and take a loss, or I could do the right thing and work with the dog to correct any problems there may be.

Of course every dog, regardless of age or breed needs some training by the owner. No match is picture perfect from the start. It's almost like somebody having a baby, and as it starts to get older it becomes very bratty and difficult, may even bite people......well, you work with the child, is there ever real perfection in life relationships? Were any people or animals born on this earth just to please another, no, we get together and everyone's results are individual and unique.

The saddest part of all is that some people don't always think things through when they get a pet.For example someone could be living in a place which is completely accepting of animals,and then they have to move,and decide instead of looking for a pet friendly home they instead simply mustn't even consider trying to find a place that allows pets.

Animals regardless of what species they are or where they come from are a lifetime commitment,and until people realize that as well as all the other ridiculous problems are solved we will have people abandoning dogs and there will continue to be problems finding homes for dogs and keeping them in permanent homes.

It can definitely be a deep emotional bond that draws you to a dog or any pet for that matter,but if someone gets a high energy dog that has intense grooming needs knowing they aren't willing to excersize the dog regularly and groom them as often as needed then of course that is a case of an unethical owner.

Perhaps I have a strong bias against shelters from all the horrible experiences,and perhaps everyone else just has better experiences than I do.But overall we can all certainly agree that at the very least any pet should be a lifetime commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by AmityvilleAria View Post
    But overall we can all certainly agree that at the very least any pet should be a lifetime commitment.
    TBH after all your posts at this point I find it distasteful on principle to agree with you on anything. You seem to require an order that does not exist and a compliance to your will that is unnatural and unhealthy.

So no, things happen. Life throws some very disruptive stuff at one one point or another, and some people need to try to continue their pet's story in some other way.

One day you will learn that there are actually very few absolutes in this world. I hope that that happens before you hurt yourself or somebody else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.