Soundness Problems

Exclamation Soundness Problems

I have a Thoroughbred named Bobby and lately has soundness problems. He is hiking his right hip. He has no front limb lameness. I didn't see it at first until my boyfriend pointed it out. What do I do? He is a beloved member of the family. We use him for trail/pleasure riding only and he is our baby. Should I get the vet out here? Is this something we can take care of at home? I would really appreciate some advice!

I'd suggest a vet most of all.Possibly don't do any riding at all for a little bit and just do gentle excersize,maybe try and massage the area if you can.It could be anything really but most of all you need to get in touch with a vet as soon as possible.

Thank you! I have Bobby out in pasture right now. As soon as the veterinarian opens I will be calling to get him seen.

You're welcome If he is a younger horse though his joints and muscles could just be stressed out from growing really fast and not quite getting the rest and time to get used to things.For older horses,it could just be a matter of too much activity or a turn or something that just went awkward or anything really.Hopefully it is just a muscle problem that can be easily corrected!

I've rang the vet and he should be here in an hour. Bobby is 10-years-old and I've had him since he was 6-months-old. I'm concerned that maybe I'm too big for him (I'm 6'7" and 210 pounds) and Bobby is 17hh (don't know his weight). I hope I didn't hurt him by riding him!

he could have picked up a stone, check the foot. Could be a hock injury, or arthritis. No way to know for sure unless a vet checks it out. A 17 hands tall horse is a pretty big horse, your weight should not be to much for him as the cause of why he is lame, something else is going on but now your weight would be a factor, he probably needs to be rested and no riding for a while
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Welcome and I'm sorry to hear that Bobby is having issues. Getting the vet's expert opinion is the way to go. Please keep us posted and I hope he gets better soon.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.