Toy eating

Toy eating

Is it safe for my dog to be eating his plastic toys?

They tend to be things like little shoes and small rubber bones.

It seems to go straight through his system but I wanted to be sure.

It's not ideal for sure, but even the toughest chew toy, like the big black Kong toys, will get some rubber chewed off in time. If you notice the dog is actually eating large pieces of rubber, plastic or cloth, the toy must be taken away and trashed. If it's just dented/scraped from regular chewing, I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm not an expert on these things, but I watch my pup like a hawk with his toys and things he picks up outside. We've thrown out a lot of toys since we got him, just for his own safety. We constantly monitor him with new toys. I always seem to be taking something out of his mouth with my fingers, luckily he lets me and my husband do that and is gentle to avoid biting us.

I agree with Alpha1 and although I don't have a dog I have to be just as careful with toys for my cats. For example string is very hazardous when digested.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I agree with Alpha, if your dog swallows something that doesn't pass surgery may be necessary to remove it.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I can't believe you're even asking this question !

I think a lot of people let their pets eat parts of their toys, sometimes only find out when cleaning up after them. You're right Esme about the string, we had to watch our cat with dental floss, he seemed to like the mint, now we're very cautious to dispose of it in a closed trash can where he can't get it. He was a kitten back them, he may have outgrown the temptation, but you can't be too careful.

The thing is, it's not just obstruction to worry about. Plastics are not inert. They erode, they dissolve, they give off toxins. There is no plastic that was made to be eaten. There are plastics that are considered safe for holding food, safe as dishes, etc. but only some plastics. Some plastics are highly toxic. Now, does anyone think that an inexpensive dog toy produced in China was made with food grade plastic and dyes? They can't even keep poison out of their food supply itself in China. Even food grade plastic is not meant to be ingested and subjected to stomach acid and digestive enzymes.

This is why my dogs never get any toys. They attempt to chew and swallow every one, until I quickly grab it.

I feel like a killjoy in regards to toys for my dogs, but better that than heaven forbid letting toys poison the dogs.

The dog may not keel over instantly, but heaven knows what it is doing to their endocrine system, their nerve system, their brain function, etc.

Would anyone want their human child to chew and swallow plastic?
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 04-22-2016 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I think a lot of people let their pets eat parts of their toys, sometimes only find out when cleaning up after them. You're right Esme about the string, we had to watch our cat with dental floss, he seemed to like the mint, now we're very cautious to dispose of it in a closed trash can where he can't get it. He was a kitten back them, he may have outgrown the temptation, but you can't be too careful.
    I never let my dogs eat parts of their toys , my last who was hearing dog was send home with a chew toy and I had to take it away from him when he biting of pieces of it . Coins are dangerous to pets too,
    I read in another pet forum that someone dog dies from eating pennies .

My dog does this all the time!!! Looking for things to eat.....

I try as much as possible to buy safe toys, the ones not chewable.

Not the safest thing......I would get toys that are big and don't have small parts.

Go with an antler, one with the points on it, not the flat ones, flat ones can slide down the throat and choke the dog. An antler is very hard so unlikely dog would chew through it.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

i definitely agree with Alpha, thought my puppy do this sometime, i still stop, it is no safe for both pet and holder.

Not best practice

Hi there,

Along with some of the other replies, you dog eating toys, especially plastic toys could have dangerous long term effects. Try to be present when he is playing with them so you can catch them before they go down. Plastic toys are not ideal either. Try to get something that is soft that he can really sink his teeth into instead of something hard that could hurt him in the long run. You may find this blog from Mav4Life helpful when it comes to choosing the best toys for puppies. It relates to bigger dogs as well if that is the case. It really helped me know how to pick safe and sturdy toys for my dog. https://mav4life.com/blogs/blog/how-...oy-for-puppies

Best wishes and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by celiasanimals View Post
    Is it safe for my dog to be eating his plastic toys?

They tend to be things like little shoes and small rubber bones.

It seems to go straight through his system but I wanted to be sure.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.