Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are good, healthy food brands for beagles

What are good, healthy food brands for beagles

What food brand is the best choice for a beagle owner. I currently buy Purina Beneful. What do you guys recommend as a healthier choice?

Beneful is the worse food on the market, check out how many law suits are against purina for selling this poison. Pretty much any grain free dog food or raw is fine, the best of the best if Orijin followed by Fromm. Get him off bendful ASAP
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you for the response!!!!
    I had no idea... thanks for the advice.

any food you can buy in a grocery or department store is junk. If you don't know what rendered meat is, do a search, Purina and others use rendered meat in their foods. Rendered meat is euthanized dogs and cats from shelters, road kill, dead zoo animals and diseased animals from farms. you might find this link helpful

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/care/ren...tscatsdogs.htm
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you for the help

I agree that Beneful is not a healthy brand to feed, you can tell by looking at the ingredients. At least the first ingredient should be a quality meat like turkey, lamb or beef, etc. I've been feeding my dog dry food from Costco that is rated very well, but you have to be a member to shop in that store, if there's any in your area.

Blue Buffalo is a brand I like also, I give my dog the canned sometimes mixed into his dry food, and my cat has been on Blue Buffalo dry cat food mixed with other quality canned brands since he was a kitten, doing well.

Here's a rating/review on Beneful dog food nutrition and ingredients...

May. 12, 2012
    Beneful Dog Food Reviews

Top 5 Ingredients*
    1. Ground yellow corn
    2. Chicken by-product meal
    3. Corn gluten meal
    4. Whole wheat flour
    5. Animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of vitamin e)
    Artificial Ingredients Yes
    Contains By-products Yes
    Price Range $
    *Beneful® Original Dry Dog Food was selected as the recipe for this ingredient list

Our Analysis

The company offers two products lines, which are kibble and canned. There are six selections in their dry food category and . Out of the six kibbles, only four meet the AAFCO nutrient profiles, which are the minimum nutritional standards required for pet food, therefore, two do not meet the minimal standards. So even the Beneful website and packaging is appealing, the food does not live up to the marketing.

Beneful’s meat-based wet food comes under scrutiny, with sources of meat being unknown and considered ‘unfit for human consumption’. The byproducts of the food are considered inexpensive and low-quality, although a high protein percentage is present. Some of the meals contain rice, peas and barley which are considered nutritious, but these good ingredients generally do not outweigh the bad.

http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/beneful/

the best food for dogs is raw, if prepared right with the right additives there is no problem. And you know exactly what is in his dish

Okay thank you guys for the responses, I am a member in Costco. I'll look out for that dry food.

Quote Originally Posted by sarzayus View Post
    Okay thank you guys for the responses, I am a member in Costco. I'll look out for that dry food.
    Here's the review on the one I normally used, they also have a grain free option at Costco that I buy. Right now I have a 9 month old puppy, so giving him the Kirkland Dry puppy and the Grain Free Nature's Domain puppy formula.

http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/kirkland/

May. 14, 2016Kirkland Dog Food Reviews

Top 5 Ingredients*
    1. Chicken
    2. Chicken meal
    3. Whole grain brown rice
    4. Cracked pearled barley
    5. Chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin e)
    Artificial Ingredients No
    Contains By-products No
    Price Range $$
    *Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula was selected as the recipe for this ingredient list

• animal proteins
    • brown rice
    • fruits
    • vegetables

• brewers rice

Our Analysis

Kirkland is Costco’s signature brand of dog food. This is a shame because you cannot buy this excellent product anywhere else. Kirkland Dog Food receives a high grade for its quality ingredients at a price that every one can afford.
    All of the Kirkland dog food formulas are appropriate nutrition for dogs of all life stages and with various maintenance needs. The formulas each have a number of components in common, including animal protein. The chief source of protein in these formulas is meat, either in the form of fresh meat or meat and poultry meal, which contains much more heavily concentrated protein.
    Another prominent ingredient is brown rice, which is an easily digested complex carbohydrate and an appropriate ingredient for most dogs, although it can sometimes prove problematic in dogs with digestive issues. Barley is also included as a complex carbohydrate and is a good addition for blood glucose stability in dogs with trouble maintaining their own insulin levels.
    Kirkland does not include probiotics in their formulas, but they do include brewer’s yeast, which is good for immune support in dogs that are not allergic to it. Overall this food is a higher-than-average quality premium food that is appropriate for most dogs, but may not be appropriate for dogs with sensitive digestive systems because of the inclusion of rice, barley and yeast.

Kirkland is a higher quality dog food than most of the supermarket brands and can definitely hold its own against some of the “higher-end” foods. This is an excellent choice for dog owners — even if you are not on a fixed budget.

It is not necessarily true that all dog food in the grocery store is junk. If your dog is healthy and fit, the things to look for either at the grocery store or a pet store are the list of ingredients, and the order in which they are listed. The higher on the list, the more of that specific ingredient.
    There are also certain grains and meats that have the potential to cause an allergic reaction. These can include any form of wheat or corn, and pork or beef products. This doesn't mean that your dog shouldn't ever consume these products. It's just something to keep in mind over the course of your pet's life. Optimally, it's best to avoid providing them long term just to decrease the chances of a reaction.
    But, even if they consume these items every day, it doesn't mean that it'll harm them. It's basically a balancing act between what they'll eat, their family history of allergies, and what your pocket book can handle. Bear in mind that beagles, as a general rule don't have allergy issues. But, there are always exceptions to this.

Also, look at the Guaranteed Analysis list, and make sure that your dog is getting a food that has a fat content of less than 15%. Beagles can have over weight issues as adults that can trigger several other potential health issues.

Rendered food is not road kill, or the meat of dogs, cats, or other domestic pets. Rendered food is simply meat that has the potential to contain bacteria or parasites that is not fit for general human consumption. They are cooked down to destroy these potential bacteria or parasites. These are second grade meats and scraps.

PS. Don't give your dog raw meat. The domestic dog may be a descendant of the wolf, but he or she is not a wolf. Raw meat has a much higher potential for carrying live, and potentially dangerous pathogens. The manufactures can never guarantee that their products won't make your pet very ill. Cooking the meat to 140 degrees F (pork 160F), is a much surer way to decrease this risk.

All the very best with your sweetie pie!

I have to disagree with you, rendered meat is road kill and euthanized animals and spoiled or outdated meats from stores. Nothing I'd feed my dog. And I've fed raw for years and never had any problem with it. I don't just throw them a raw chicken leg, I grind the meat, bones and all and add what they need for a balanced diet. Many show people feed raw and what dog is in any better condition than a show dog? Dogs have a short gut so anything harmful is out of their system before it can do any harm. More and more people are feeding raw so we can't all be wrong. My shepherd is 5 years old and has never had commercial food, I even make my own treats which is dehydrated chicken breast.

check out this link to see what rendered meat is

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/care/ren...tscatsdogs.htm

You can disagree all you want Linda. I mean no ill will. My advice is based on years of working with and caring for many animals, science, and years in vet school. The USDA regulates what is put into commercial dog and cat food, and I am positive that the items you mentioned are not allowed. And, having a short gut has nothing to do with whether or not an animal will get sick from something they eat. PS. They don't have short guts. They are just as long, and effective at absorbing nutrients and bad things as ours are. All the best to you and yours.

and my advice is owning german sheperds over 40 years and feeding raw for many years. You are entitled to your opinion, I'm not trying to influence people to switch to raw, its your own choice what you feed, but don't knock something you know nothing about. My shepherd is 5 years old, she's never been to a vet for being sick, just routine checkups and updates on shots and to be spayed so guess I must be doing something right. In my raw diet I include honest kitchen for fruits and veggies and missing link for vitamins and minerals. She has a beautiful coat. My vet says she is in perfect health and perfect condition. I've had only one dog die of cancer and that was a rescue, not one I raised. The raw diet works for me and I'm sticking to it.

Linda, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm glad it is working for you so far. Please, just be aware that there is no diet out there that can prevent cancer. Although lifestyle and diet can help decrease the chances of it, genetics have a lot to do with it as well. There is no such thing as a perfect diet, but it is always good to be well informed regardless of what choice you decide to make.

To the lady that started this thread: I hope this conversation has proven to be helpful to you. There are so many brands of food, and options out there. It can often be mind boggling. I'm sure you'll do just fine with the choice you make for your beagle. All the very best!

A homemade diet is good if you have the time, make sure you know exactly how much of everything to put in. Talking to your vet is a good idea. If you don't have time, raw food is good or freeze dried.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.