What to do with fish gone for 2 months

What to do with fish gone for 2 months

Alright so I bought a little 14 cent goldfish a few months ago and he's still alive. He's doing real good but the thing im going on a 2 month trip and there wont be anyone to take care of him. Ive thought asking a friend but Im kinda new in my neighborhood and I dont trust anyone here yet so I'd prefer not for anybody to come in while I'm gone. One of my friends actually keeps his giant goldfish in a plastic basket in a creek right below his house so I was thinking of doing the same. I would put him in a plastic basket with a lid and hide him in the vegetation and all. The only problem is that I don't know what he would eat. Maybe I could put in a vacation feeder block or two? What do you guys think?

If you don't trust anyone to go into your home (and I don't blame you), I'd just see about having a neighbor take the goldfish in the tank into their own home and care for it. I'd feel better about doing that, even if I had to pay someone a small fee to care for it. Perhaps a young person who has fish already, with the approval of their parents can care for it in his home. I wouldn't feel good about leaving a small fish like that outdoors and unattended for two months.

Well I can not see anything wrong with a friend watching it . I think it would be safer there than in the creek! They do have vacation feeders. You can buy a small fish tank with the air filtration and all too. It would be good. And it ain't expensive.

It doesn't matter what the fish cost the point is it's a living breathing fish and will not survive in a bucket in a creek! This is NOT a good idea and I can't believe you would even consider it. You need to either find someone trustworthy to keep your fish in the tank he's currently living in because if you have a proper tank that means the tank has a light, filter, etc Otherwise maybe you should take your fish back to the pet store and let them keep it.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    It doesn't matter what the fish cost the point is it's a living breathing fish and will not survive in a bucket in a creek! This is NOT a good idea and I can't believe you would even consider it. You need to either find someone trustworthy to keep your fish in the tank he's currently living in because if you have a proper tank that means the tank has a light, filter, etc Otherwise maybe you should take your fish back to the pet store and let them keep it.
    I was not thinking my fish was any less important or animal because he was cheap. I was just pointing out that he was one of those neglected little fishes in the feeder tank at the pet store and I dont want him to go back there. And I think the 40 gallon I have him in is a PROPER tank at this time.

Would the creek be dangerous because of predators or starvation? Either way I'm asking a neighbor to keep him for the time I'm gone.

Glad you're asking a neighbor to keep him while you're gone, sounds like the best and safest option for the little guy.

Vacation feeder things and or those automatic timer feeders.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.