Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Greek Tortoise Won't Eat Tort Food

My Greek Tortoise Won't Eat Tort Food

Hi. I posted a thread a couple of hours ago, and my Greek tort refuses to eat tort food I ordered for him from abroad, no matter what. I tried one thing: I did not offer him the Roman lettuce and tomatoes for about a week, thinking hunger would make him eat literally anything. However it did not work.

Does any of you have any advise or suggestions?

Thank you.

Today I saw your original post and offered some diet suggestions which I hope helps you. I would think not eating for about a week and he would eat his food so I'm not sure what to say. Online I found there is a turtle forum that may be helpful.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I have tried it but it just will NOT work. Any other suggestions?

I found this article on the About Home website, written by Adrienne Kruzer, RVT, Exotic Pet Expert and hopefully this helps:
    Greek and Spur-thighed Tortoise Diet
    Tortoises are herbivores. Years ago tortoise owners would feed their pets canned cat and dog food to make them grow faster but it has since been discovered that a diet high in protein is harmful to tortoises. Therefore, a diet low in protein and high in fiber is much healthier than food meant for carnivores.
    A variety of dark, leafy greens such as collard greens, endive, fresh parsley, and dandelion greens should be the majority of your tortoise's diet. Timothy hay that is chopped up should be added for keeping your tortoise's beak trimmed and for the additional fiber.
    Small amounts of fruits such as chopped raspberries, strawberries, or apples may be added but should not make up more than 10% of the diet. Some tortoise owners choose to offer a small amount of gut-loaded crickets and mealworms but it is not necessary.
    Regular dusting with calcium powder on the veggies is recommended to make sure your tortoise is getting enough calcium as well.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Hey, i used to have a tortoise, not sure if it was greek but we just fed him grape leaves and lettuce and he lived perfectly fine off of that.

My Greek tort still refuses to eat! Please help!

I think you should try taking him to the Vet if he still won't eat. Maybe he is sick.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolf View Post
    Hey, i used to have a tortoise, not sure if it was greek but we just fed him grape leaves and lettuce and he lived perfectly fine off of that.
    Tried feeding Oli grape leaves, mazuri and a lot more. HE will NOT eat ANYTHING besides Roman lettuce. Don't know what on earth to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolf View Post
    I think you should try taking him to the Vet if he still won't eat. Maybe he is sick.
    I would have done that LONG AGO, however vets for torts are NOT available here, (in Jordan) due to the fact that these little animals live in the wild: almost nobody would think of a tort as a pet here. The filthy rich have dogs ONLY to guard and protect their villas luxurious cars and property. (In this case dogs ae obviously NOT pets!)

Maybe you can try to move him to a different area, one he's more relaxed and comfortable in? Somewhere where you can be near too to observe and comfort him? Are there any wild flowers that he can eat, like Dandelions? Have you created a more natural habitat for him even if he's in your house, something where he feels more like he's out in nature?

Quote Originally Posted by oli View Post
    due to the fact that these little animals live in the wild
    Was your tortoise taken from the wild?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Maybe you can try to move him to a different area, one he's more relaxed and comfortable in? Somewhere where you can be near too to observe and comfort him? Are there any wild flowers that he can eat, like Dandelions? Have you created a more natural habitat for him even if he's in your house, something where he feels more like he's out in nature?
    Thanks your help. Can't move him anywhere: my flat is a rather small one. No flowers : I live in Jordan which is a......DESERsa with nothing but buildings and cars in it!!

Yes it was,

Him being taken from the wild is likely the culprit of why he won't eat. If he wasn't captive bred, this means he isn't used to the tort food and doesn't know it's 'food' and therefore refuses to eat it. It really isn't good to take animals into captivity if they are raised and born in the wild, as they are happiest in their natural homes.
    Since he is from the wild, he survived off of greens in his natural habitat; he will be fine eating a strict green diet. Does he eat greens like romaine lettuce, kale, chard, etc?

Is it possible to return him into the wild in a safe place where he could survive? Is that where you found him? It would be the only kind thing to do for him so he could live out his life as nature intended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.