Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My Greek Tortoise Won't Eat Tort Food

Why blame me? This does NOT solve the issue nor does it get my tort to eat tort food. I have done it now and it is no good crying over spilled milk: I've had him for more than five years, and hoped that he would get used to the food, just like he got used to me, my flat, his enclosure, the climate inside, and so on.

He ONLY eats Roman lettuce, and recently cooked carrots, but nothing else, I'm afraid.

I did NOT FIND him in the wild. I got him from a shop with a few pets/animals in it: a bird or two, a parrot Oli was there as well. I've had him for more than FIVE years, and I do not think that your suggestion is a solution to the issue-sorry!

I didn't notice that you said you ordered him from abroad. I don't have any further advice, if he's a picky eater and he's been getting along on lettuce and carrots, they all you can do is slowly introduce other foods to him and see if he'll accept them. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I didn't notice that you said you ordered him from abroad. I don't have any further advice, if he's a picky eater and he's been getting along on lettuce and carrots, they all you can do is slowly introduce other foods to him and see if he'll accept them. Good luck.
    I did NOT order Oli from abroad, his food (the food he will not eat) came from abroad.

Thanks your help anyway.

What has Oli been eating for these five years?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    What has he been eating for these five years?
    Hi, he has been eating ONLY Roman lettuce, and very recently cooked carrots. I have tried other greens such as: kale, spinach, and so on, but NO WAY would he eat. He "insists" on Roman lettuce and cooked carrots. I do not know what on earth to do, particularly as here in the Middle East vets for torts are not available. I asked why and was told that torts live in the wild: maybe about 5% of those who want a pet or have a pet think of a tort.

Thanks very much your help, anyway.

Hmm, sorry I don't know anything about tortoises, but if he has been doing fine on the earlier diet, does he really have to change? If commercial tortoise food is like commercial dog and cat food, it likely contains lots of cheap, not-really-appropriate filler ingredients, plus colors and preservatives. When you say Roman lettuce, is that romaine lettuce? romaine lettuce is one of the better lettuces for humans. It's more nutritious than iceberg lettuce. Is he bored of the romaine lettuce and carrots? Is he throwing them back at you in displeasure?

Thanks your help.

I am aware of what you said as far as commercial tort food. However, Roman (or Romaine) lettuce is not enough: it is 90% if not more, water. You seem to have misunderstood me: NO Oli is ONLY ​eating Roman lettuce and carrots and refuses to eat tort food.

Hee-hee, most fruits and vegetables and the leaves Oli would eat in nature are mostly water, too. You and I are mostly water. Even carrots have a lot of water in them. That's why people can make carrot juice. If Oli has lived happily and healthily on romaine lettuce and carrots for five years, it's probably decent food for him. There are a lot of nutrients in romaine lettuce and carrots. And he's a tortoise, not a person. Of course you and I couldn't just eat just romaine lettuce and carrots for a long time, but people are omnivores (=we eat meat, too). He's a tortoise. He chose a nutritious leaf to like. It's not like iceberg lettuce. Romaine lettuce is more nutritious . As they say, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

He doesn't need tortoise food if he is doing fine. Our tortoise never ate tortoise food, just lettuce and grape leaves, and he was fine. Just let him eat what he wants.

Hi all. I am still in need of help as far as my Greek tort refusing to eat tort food is concerned. He is determined to eat Roman lettuce and only Roman lettuce. Anyone's help/advise/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolf View Post
    He doesn't need tortoise food if he is doing fine. Our tortoise never ate tortoise food, just lettuce and grape leaves, and he was fine. Just let him eat what he wants.
    Hi. Oli won't even eat grape leaves.

Thanks your help.

Last edited by Dog Force One; 08-05-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolf View Post
    Hi. Fair enough, and many thanks your re-assuring words. The matter was worrying me a lot; due to the fact that I read it on the net that vegetables and fruits are not enough for a tort.

Once again, THANKS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.