Cat is hiding kittens...

Cat is hiding kittens...

My cat had kittens recently. They were born in a large dog carrier/kennel in our garage and she was doing great and so were the kittens. They are not quite 3 weeks old. Yesterday I noticed she had moved on of the 7 kittens. Unfortunately she had moved it out of the garage to under our dogs house in our back yard. Also unfortunate was the fact that the dogs found it and you can guess what happened. Now I am at a loss for what to do to prevent her from moving the rest outside short of keeping her contained in the garage 24/7. Any suggestions?

bring her and the kittens inside, make a quiet place for her like in a closet, if she doesn't want people handling the kittens she will continue to move them. She should be kept inside anyway as its to dangerous for cats to be left outside.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I have had outside cats for many years as we live here on a farm. The cat has access to the outside through the barn and can come in whenever the weather is bad. The cat is friendly with the dogs and can hang out with them on the back porch. It's just that now I have a dog that has never been around kittens. Bringing the kittens inside is a possibility. We have been thinking of exactly how to do that.

depending on how old the dog is and what breed it is you may have a problem. If it is a high prey dog like a hunting breed or a husky or some such breed it may not work for you. The only other option is to muzzle the dog when the cat is around. I also live in the country and we have fisher cats around and their favorite food is cat so my two have never been outside.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

As I said before, the cat gets along just fine with my dogs. He (the cat) lays on the back porch with them (the dogs) and there are no problems. I am not sure if you are reading what I am writing or if you are just saying whatever you want. The problem was that we were looking in on the kittens too much and the cat got a little nervous and moved one of the kittens, unfortunately. We have stayed away from the kittens except to feed and water the cat and to clean the litter box, and to look in on them (the kittens) occasionally. All seems to be well now. No more hidden kittens.

It sounds like things are good now with the cat and her kittens. I hope the problem is solved and mama cat can relax.

Quote Originally Posted by dogponyboy View Post
    As I said before, the cat gets along just fine with my dogs. He (the cat) lays on the back porch with them (the dogs) and there are no problems. I am not sure if you are reading what I am writing or if you are just saying whatever you want. The problem was that we were looking in on the kittens too much and the cat got a little nervous and moved one of the kittens, unfortunately. We have stayed away from the kittens except to feed and water the cat and to clean the litter box, and to look in on them (the kittens) occasionally. All seems to be well now. No more hidden kittens.
    Momma cats hide their kittens a lot. Especially new born kittens. She was just trying to find a safe haven for little family. Glad all worked out for all of you!

The other day I've had a beautiful momma cat with her 4 kittens at the very edge of my back yard. I've been trying to find her owners...I've called almost all of my neighbors and no one is claiming her. Last night she alone came back (because yes I have put out food and water for them) and I am hoping the kittens are okay. I just don't understand how people could have a pet and not have them spayed or neutered...it's so irresponsible!
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.