My rabbit is getting old.

My rabbit is getting old.

Well - not quite yet. But he'll enter old age soon.

He's a New Zealand. Young and uneducated when I got him, I got him from a feed store. Being a show rabbit, he gets a free health check from the judges every year and the only health problem he's ever had was mites. Currently he's 5 and a half years old, due to be six in January.
    While five and a half for rabbits is generally just late-middle age, he's so close to being a senior.
    And while he's a healthy, happy little boy, it worries me. I've him since I was a kid, and he's always been the sweetest, most confident rabbit out of all the ones I've owned. He loves pets. When you feed him, he shoves his entire head out this one little gap in his cage and just stares at you. He'll climb all over you if you let him out, but mostly, he just lays next to you. He bruxes a bit when you let him out; quiet little grinds of his teeth, only once or twice before he settles down and naps with you.
    And since rabbits only tend to live 8-12 years - though some argue 10-15 - I'm just not even close to ready to let him go when the time comes. Honestly, not sure how I'll handle that. I worry about what problems might come when he gets to old age, though I've been told that it's not entirely likely, and most just go out peacefully. I'm not sure when to stop showing him, or if I'll ever have to, but when the time comes, I'll take him to your regular old vet once a year instead.

No advice needed - just a rant about my old rabbit.

Sounds like you love him a lot. Enjoy him while you can, cherish your time with him and don't fret about what may happen in the future. That's a waste of your precious 'now' with him. That's all we can do as our pets age, we just need to be grateful they made it to old age, sometimes that doesn't happen.

He sounds like a wonderful fellow. Do you have a picture of him that you can post? One of my favorite books is Watership Down, and I often remember and think about the rabbits in that story. The one I most identify with is Fiver.

I don't have a picture right now, actually. I'll get one soon.

So adorable, what a precious little one.

Wow, he has an intelligent, serious face. Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

So cute! He is definitely loved!

Your furry baby is absolutely beautiful! Since I have older cats (Roscoe is about 16 now) I agree with Alpha...spend as much time as possible and cherish each moment. It's not easy to watch them age but unfortunately that's life and we all go through the process. What is his name? And by the way don't worry about coming on and talking about him as much as you like...we're all animal lovers here and this forum is a truly great support system. WELCOME
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.