Feeding gold fish

Feeding gold fish

Ever since we got 6 pond goldfish my dad constantly feeds them. He insists that they look hungry simply because they swim to the surface and I wanted to know if it's bad to feed them too much

Honestly I only feed my fish once in the morning and once at night, typically a fish will spit out food they don't want because they're full but I have heard some fish can and have been over fed. Usually you can tell if they're over fed by looking at their tummy if it's got a bulge or not. They say to only feed enough food that the fish can consum within so many seconds, I doubt your goldfish will die BUT I think he should avoid constantly feeding them like that.

Hello! I would recommend feeding your goldfish once every morning. Although they will come for more food, that doesn't mean they need it. If you overfeed a goldfish, the uneaten food will rot. Rotting food creates ammonia which is highly toxic to goldfish.

Goldfish should be fed 2 to 3 times a day, overfeeding them may result in indigestion and contamination of the aquarium.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.