Question about dogs riding in cars?

Question Question about dogs riding in cars?

Sorry, this question might be silly...

When you're driving your pooch anywhere, do they need a seatbelt? Or a device like a seatbelt/seat? Does it depend on the dog's size?
    Or do you just need to cover the seat with some protective pad if you have expensive leather seats and let them in?

~Moosey

The safest way to travel with them is to belt them in with a seatbelt. I've never used one for any of my dogs over the years and I've been lucky not to be in any kind of an accident with them. If your driving fast and get into a crash, they could fly through the air and cause serious damage to themselves or the passengers of the vehicle. Whether its a small or large dog, it doesn't matter, the seatbelts do come in different sizes.

I'm in my sixties, so when I was a kid they didn't even have seatbelts for people. We put seat covers over the seat, and usually in the back seat of our Jeep that we use every day to take the dog to the park, we also put a big towel down, in case he's wet or muddy from the snow or water. In a car with really expensive leather seats, extra care has to be taken because even the dog's nails can puncture the material if they get too active.

When we take our dog and cat camping with us in our truck, we set up behind the front bench seat a comfortable area for them to lie, with old sleeping bags, etc. The cat is kept on a 6' leash that I hold while my husband drives, so he doesn't go on the floor and get under the brake pedal or anything.

They travel well together and we did the same thing with our other dogs, my older boy Hans died last August and my cat Loki used to lay with him too. The cat also has a small soft carrier that stays on the front seat between us, in case he wants to nap in there for the long ride.

Loki peeking over in the back and my dog Bigfoot.

Loki and my old dog Hans (RIP)

Thank you so much for the answer! Despite my aunts and uncle owning dogs, I've never ridden in a car with them (minus Rowan who always chilled in the back), so its been something I was confused about for a while!
    Loki looks a lot like my mom's cat Bella:
    IMG_20160731_183504.jpg

They do look alike, except mine is tailless (Manx)

I should use a doggie seat belt for my small dog . Some jerk cut me off and I had to stop fast and my poor dog fell of the back seat and couldn't get back on it. There was no place to pull over and help. This happen only once so far. Marty sit in the back all the time b/c it safer for him.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.