Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to do with a new pup

What to do with a new pup

We are going to have a new pup from our neighbor who is too busy to keep him, maybe her, not sure yet. Our neighbor got the pup from his friend.

Last night, when we were at the porch, we saw a pup and played with him/her. Then our neighbor asked us if we would like to keep him. Without any hesitation, we said yes. But we don't have any pet supplies so we decided to get him home a few days later. So what should we do before and after gettin' him in?

I will upload some photos of the pup when he comes.

Congratulations on getting a new pup! Is is a young puppy, or a full-grown dog? Is it a small breed or a large breed? Is the dog housebroken at all, or does it still have to be trained to go outside to the bathroom?

You'll need some basic things like an appropriate sized dog food bowl and dog water bowl. You'll have to buy some dog food, a good quality with chicken, beef, lamb, turkey, but real meat protein as the first ingredient, and not much cereal, grains, fillers or artificial and chemical ingredients.

You'll need to set up a special place in your house for the dog to sleep at night, and out of the way spot where he can feel secure and won't get stepped on. In your room with you would be ideal. You can use an actual dog bed, or just set up some comfortable rugs or blankets on the floor. You'll need some safe toys for him to chew on too.

If the dog isn't house trained yet, you may have to keep him in a room with washable floors, like the kitchen until he's reliable. For my pup I put a little gate across the kitchen doorway and put an area of newspapers on the floor for when he had to go at night. It worked well, he would use the papers if he had to go when we were still sleeping.

It's smart to take him in to see a Vet doctor for a health check up and any vaccinations he might need to have. You'll need a collar, either leather or nylon and a leash for the dog. Also, some type of ID tag saying the dog's name, phone number and address, in case he gets lost somewhere people can return him to you. We can think of more suggestions with other questions and information.

The first thing you need to do to see if the puppy has any of it shots yet so you should ask for all of it medial record to see if it has it rabies shots etc. Then you need to get it a dog tag and license if it doesn't have one . If it does you will need to have it put on your name . You'll have to puppy proof your home , don't leave any on the floor that you care about or anything the puppy could choke . Unplug any cords the puppy can chew on and be sure to made sure your puppy can't get into any cabinets that have house whole supply . You will also need to be careful with boxes of cereals , the plastic bags aren't glued to inside of the boxes , I read about a dog that dies b/c he got into a box of cereal and wasn't able to get the plastic bag off his head . The owners told their story to warn other pets owners and I been passing it on. Can't wait to see your puppy pic , do you have a name picked out yet?

Thanks for your advice which would be very helpful. The first thing we have thought was to take the puppy to see a vet and make him a full check just as you mentioned. Almost forget, we haven't picked a name? Do you have any? We will get him home on Saturday.

Thank you for your suggestions, Alpha1. You almost reach every aspect of keeping a new pup. We have searched around to find a vet and we did find a one. We already have bowls for food and water, bed, leash, tag, apparel and so on, but not food. It may take some time to pick proper food for him.

He is a young puppy and a small breed. I don't think he has been trained. So training will be another problem, but it will be a lot of fun.

It will be fun, training can be easy if you use positive reinforcement, praise and treats. The pup will not fear you, he'll want to please you. So many people yell at their pups or hit them if they have an "accident" in the house, this should never happen.

If you actually catch the dog in the act, pick him up and put him in the spot where you want him to go. In our house, it was the small area of newspaper we had on the kitchen floor. This worked well for all our pups over the years.

As far as a name, a lot of people go by the way the dog looks or acts, and picks a name that suits him personally. We named our new pup Bigfoot, because with his brownish curly wild hair, he looked like a Sasquatch. Plus, his fluffy hair did make him look like he had big feet. My cat is named Loki, after the Norse God of mischief.

I find housebreaking the easiest thing you will ever train your puppy to do. I crate train, I do not train with newspapers or puppy pads. I just get it done and overwith. I teach words like "outside" and "go potty", they learn the words quickly and this also teaches them to go on command. If you are getting a young puppy you have to realize they must be taken out often, after they eat, after they nap and after they play. If the pup is not crated and you see him start to sniff and/or circle take him out right away. If he is crated he will fuss and let you know he has to go out. Most dogs will not go where they sleep. But if you are getting him from a pet store or someplace where he was in a cage or crated it won't be as easy as he will be used to going in the cage.

If you crate him I suggest you keep him leashed to you when not in the crate that way you can catch any accidents before they happen. Always praise and a treat if they do go outside, if they have an accident in the house and it will happen just clean it up and move on, if you scold or hit or holler at him all you will accomplish is to make him afraid of you and he'll find someplace to go where you can't see him. Once he gets the idea he is supposed to go outside remember he can only hole it 1 hour for every month old he is. So don't expect to much to soon. Be patient with him, be consistent and scheduled.

They like structure, feed him at the same time every day and take him out at certain times unless you see he has to go out more often. A young pup should be fed three times a day, 15 minutes or so after a meal he will have to go out. You will say "outside" take him out to where you want him to go and say "go potty", when he does give him praise and a treat, stay out with him until he goes, after he goes let him run around and play for a while before bringing him right back in. Feed him either raw or a grain free high quality food. He will want to chew, don't let him have an old shoe or slipper, he won't know the difference between an old shoe and a new one and will chew both. When he starts play biting and nips your hands or feet redirect him to a toy or something he can chew. Get him an antler, do not get a flat one that can slide down his throat and choke, get one with the points on it. Dogs love them and he won't be able to chew through it and they last forever.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I think if you wait a couple of days and get know your puppy personality better a name will pop up for you .

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    It will be fun, training can be easy if you use positive reinforcement, praise and treats. The pup will not fear you, he'll want to please you. So many people yell at their pups or hit them if they have an "accident" in the house, this should never happen.

If you actually catch the dog in the act, pick him up and put him in the spot where you want him to go. In our house, it was the small area of newspaper we had on the kitchen floor. This worked well for all our pups over the years.

As far as a name, a lot of people go by the way the dog looks or acts, and picks a name that suits him personally. We named our new pup Bigfoot, because with his brownish curly wild hair, he looked like a Sasquatch. Plus, his fluffy hair did make him look like he had big feet. My cat is named Loki, after the Norse God of mischief.

Awww, cute Bigfoot, wanna hug him and give him a kiss. We are not gonna yell or hit our pup ever. Hope we can train him well without too many efforts. So excited to meet our pup.

Thanks Goodday, would love to see a picture of your new puppy! I know you're excited!

Excellent suggestions. Praise and Treat, no scolding/ hitting/ hollering. Thank you Linda2147.

I will take as many photos as possible, even a video.

I didn't think of that, Lol.

Give that adorable puppy a hug and kiss for me !

QQ??20160905094434.jpgIMG_20160903_210649.jpgQQ??20160905094422.jpg

Here are some photos of our new pup, Little Seven, about 2 months old. The name was given by her former owner, we didn't change that. She may get confused if we give her a new name like Lily, Bella, etc. What's the breed do you think she is? Yorkie mix?

We got her 2 days ago after work. Then we took her to a vet who gave her a full check. She has skin allergy and is on medicine, but she is doing good and will recover in a few weeks. We can't give her a bath for her time being, so she looks a little dirty. She is really "lazy". She lays on the floor wherever and whenever possible, I don't know whether it's a matter of personality or just caused by the medicine. The vet told us not to feed her much each time, but I am worried because it's really little, only 20 grains. Can we feed her human food?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.