Fourth Dog

Fourth Dog

Hi Boardies,

Sorry to be quiet for a long time. School started up again, so things have been crazy busy again as usual.

I am trying to integrate a fourth rescue dog into my group. I'm guessing he is some sort of Corgi mix. But he does not have short legs. His face seems to have some Pitty mixed in. Very sweet, gentle, and cooperative guy, about 8 months old.

At first I assumed the hurdle would be getting the approval of my other male Benny, because Benny (normally very friendly and easy going) is reactive (fear based) and confrontational around almost all MALE dogs.

The weird thing is, I am encountering just the opposite problem. Benny is going crazy about the new male dog, making the lovey whimpering sounds he usually makes for females, and, more importantly, Benny won't stop humping him without intervention. Like he really won't stop at all. Benny has never had a humping issue. Just with this dog. The new dog is bothered and alarmed, but has mostly been too shy and disoriented to get angry.

So for now I am having to keep them separated. I am hoping one of the following might happen:

1) Maybe Benny will just calm down on his own after the new guy has been here a while.
    2) Maybe the new guy will confront Benny and tell him to back off.
    3) The complicated way things happened yesterday, the new guy hasn't had a bath yet. And he has some sort synthetic/chemical smell on him. He was living at a gas station. Maybe after I can give him a bath today, it will turn out to be the synthetic/chemical smell that is driving Benny crazy.
    4) Something else

If this situation rings a bell with anyone's experience or knowledge, it would be great to hear any advice.

Anyway, I am calm and moving forward.

Hello to all.

DF

My past dog Hans was a humper, dry humper, not sexual at all just dominance related. There were dogs in the park now and then that were super submissive....to all dogs and humans that came near. They were usually friendly but very shy. Hans would go over to 'hump' them, and they almost were asking for it.

When I saw these dogs coming near, I started to correct my dog and pull him off by the collar if needed. The other dogs were many times on their backs in a submissive position.

Interesting to see if things change after your new doggie gets a bath. I think Benny will calm down over time, everything's so new now. It's not too bad, make love not war.

Glad you're calm and not making much of this, the more you stress over it the worse it can be made. Dogs, just like people have different personalities, some shy and some assertive. All in all it sounds like things are good.

Hope your Benny chills out soon, he may be just excited. The new boy must be a bit afraid right now, good you're separating them a little until things mellow.

Good to hear from you, and kudos for bringing another dog into your life, you're very kind.

Thanks, Alpha! Things are improving. When I read your post, I realized I did not have Benny's harness and leash on when they first met. Come to think of it, that was quite stupid and potentially dangerous. Well duh, DF! :- ) Forgetting common sense. So when I got home from school (Yay! Eight hours in the house and Joey- the new guy- didn't pee or poop. I had braced for possible lack of housebreaking) I put on Benny's harness and leash. That helped a lot, as I was able to pull him at the right moments to give him the message that he shouldn't be humping obsessively like that. Now at least he understands that he shouldn't be doing it, and can often be in the same room as Joey without giving into temptation. I will probably still keep Benny in a separate room at those times when I am not home in the next few days, but the issue is clearly showing some improvement and hopefully may even be on the way out. Joey also got a bath after his afternoon walk.

Well, this pic isn't very good, but here is Joey. He is usually quite smiley, just not in this pic. He needs to gain some weight- skinny hindquarters not apparent in this pic- but he is eating good food heartily now.

Joey's a handsome boy!

I hope his back hips and knees are healthy, don't mean to worry you but I had an Alaskan Malamute in the past who had to get knee surgery on his back legs, he was never good and always had pain even after the operations. A girl dog of mine had Hip Dysplasia. Both these dogs had narrow hindquarters compared to their front shoulder area, which was overly muscular due to having to use those muscles to bear all their weight. This just popped into my head when you said that, hope your Joey is a healthy pup that is with you for a good long time.

Smart that you're using the leash and harness to guide Benny as to what he should and shouldn't do....excellent! Very nice that they both lasted for 8 hours with no house soiling, good start for sure! You're a wise and compassionate dog trainer, these guys are lucky to have you care for them.

Thanks for the heads-up on small butts. (Hee-hee.) Of course the only way I ever got a dog is by not thinking too much. If I really thought about all terrible things that could potentially happen, not to mention all the money and time necessary, I would probably never have gotten any of my dogs. Ever. :- D

That said, after the inevitable intense post-adoption angst every time, I have never regretted adopting any dog, even after both good times and bad times.

Really just the opposite. I think- "Oh my gosh, to think he/she almost didn't come to live together."

I feel we must trust the Forest. The Forest will provide.

Great shot there Dog Force!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.